360 deg videos fail straight out the box. Nouveau driver suspected. GeForce 7600GO

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
doobydave

360 deg videos fail straight out the box. Nouveau driver suspected. GeForce 7600GO

Post by doobydave »

I do intend to install the proprietary drivers, so if successful, that would be a solution. That is part of the reason I am here, as after a fresh install of debian Buster I learned that the legacy 304xx driver was no longer included/supported.

I would however like to register this issue with the appropriate bug dept, as distro maintainers tend to frown upon fresh installs not behaving as they should.

I do remember successfully watching some 360 degree vids on the h/w (possibly with the nouveau driver) but can't really remember when they broke. Might have been as far back as Wheezy.

It could be related, I was getting a segmentation fault in glmark2 on debian stretch. Not sure if it was my system, my inability to find the correct instructions to follow or a manifestation of this issue.

Any thoughts gratefully received. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: 360 deg videos fail straight out the box. Nouveau driver suspected. GeForce 7600GO

Post by Flemur »

doobydave wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:49 amThat is part of the reason I am here, as after a fresh install of debian Buster I learned that the legacy 304xx driver was no longer included/supported.
Which Mint version are you using?

FWIW, I'm mostly sticking to Mint 18.3 because I can install the 304 driver (GS8400) w/kernel 4.4.X
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
doobydave

Re: 360 deg videos fail straight out the box. Nouveau driver suspected. GeForce 7600GO

Post by doobydave »

Mint version LMDE3 - cindy.

I have just successfully installed the dkms 304xx legacy driver and there is change. The 360 vids are not as garbled as they were, but they don't display as they should.

Edit, I guess that could eliminate the lovely peeps responsible for nouveau.
doobydave

Post by doobydave »

Wondering if it's worth submitting a report on the Youtube site - they ask for a screenshot. Not sure how much they care for linux users on 12 year old hardware though..
doobydave

Post by doobydave »

So glmark2 used to crash using the nouveau driver (on deb stretch) on test 3. Now with the proprietary driver installed it doesn't make it to the first test.

$ glmark2
libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
** GLX does not support GLX_EXT_swap_control or GLX_MESA_swap_control!
X Error of failed request: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
Major opcode of failed request: 155 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 24 (X_GLXCreateNewContext)
Value in failed request: 0x0
Serial number of failed request: 39
Current serial number in output stream: 40
doobydave

Post by doobydave »

Just did an apt-update and it finished with :-
ldconfig: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1 is not a symbolic link

Quite a few suggested fixes include removing this file, but that didn't seem to work for me.
doobydave

Post by doobydave »

This is broken as far back as Jessie. I guess I should try to bring it to the attention of some Debian maintainers. Doesn't help that I'm unable to create an account at the Debian users forum. I'm a large-scale spammer apparently, and if I wasn't, I probably couldn't prove to the "captur" thingy that I'm not a bot. :roll:

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”