LM 19.3 + Nvidia Ti4400 - correct driver? [SOLVED]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dalek99

LM 19.3 + Nvidia Ti4400 - correct driver? [SOLVED]

Post by dalek99 »

Just installed LM19.3 on old desktop PC with Nvidia TI 4400 graphics card (AGP 4X 128mb). Graphics displays are not working correctly (the LM install was hanging until the slideshow was disabled). Any program that displays graphics screws up.

This system did have LM 12 on it previously and it ran fine. Question is which graphics driver (if any) will work with LM 19.3? The current driver it is using is Nouveau. Driver Manger does not report any updates.

Searching around I find references to using ppa graphics but also that there are kernel compatability considerations. Maybe I need to ditch LM19.3 and install the latest version of LM which has compatability?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Re: LM 19.3 + Nvidia Ti4400 - correct driver?

Post by roblm »

Your 17 year old Nvidia TI 4400 is only supported by the nvidia-96 driver:

nvidia ti 4400.png

That driver only has support up to X.Org X Display Server 1.12, which probably came with Mint 13 or 14.

If your system ran fine in Mint 19.2, then I suggest using that.
dalek99

Re: LM 19.3 + Nvidia Ti4400 - correct driver?

Post by dalek99 »

@roblm. Thanks for advice.
I did a fresh install of LM 13 Maya as this looked to use Xorg 1.11.4 (LM 14 looks to use Xorg 1.13 so would not be compatible with Nvidia driver you suggested).
Had trouble getting LM 13 installed - kept failing to install/setup grub correctly - seems to be a common problem. I gave up trying to use multiple logical partitions for Linux (this is a dual boot install on single hard disk with Windowss XP in first partition) and resorted to single LInux partition and even then had to use a Boot Repair CD to get grub multi boot working.
Once LM13 installed updated everything via Update Manager and installed Nvidia 96. drivers - all seems to work fine except Firefox which crashes instantly on startup so need to investigate that.
Thanks
lugligino
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LM 19.3 + Nvidia Ti4400 - correct driver? [SOLVED]

Post by lugligino »

Did you consider this?
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2123983
Probably you could install Mint 19.3 and try to downgrade X.org
Linux Mint 19.3, 32 bit on a Dell Latitude D600 notebook, Pentium M 2.0 GHz, 2GB RAM.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”