Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
roblm
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Kernel Update 5.0.0.37.95 to 5.3.0.26.95 Kills nVidia Video Drivers

Post by roblm »

dave0808 wrote: What was interesting there is that it then found some -390 packages to remove:-
Your situation was more complicated because it appears that you also installed the nvidia-headless-390 package for CUDA and OpenCL support.

Did you originally install nvidia-driver-390 in Driver Manager and then install nvidia-headless-390 in Synaptic Package Manager?

Usually nvidia-dkms-390 is removed during the uninstallation using the apt autoremove command, as seen below:

Code: Select all

apt autoremove nvidia-driver-390
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Package 'nvidia-driver-390' is not installed, so not removed
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libnvidia-cfg1-390 libnvidia-compute-390 libnvidia-decode-390 libnvidia-encode-390 libnvidia-fbc1-390 libnvidia-gl-390 libnvidia-ifr1-390 nvidia-compute-utils-390 nvidia-dkms-390 nvidia-kernel-common-390 nvidia-kernel-source-390
  nvidia-utils-390 xserver-xorg-video-nvidia-390
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 13 to remove and 5 not upgraded.
After this operation, 200 MB disk space will be freed.
I then tried to duplicate your situation by installing nvidia-driver-390 in Driver Manager and nvidia-headless-390 in Synaptic. Attempting to install just nvidia-headless-390 resulted in software rendering. Then I tried the uninstallation using apt autoremove:

apt autoremove nvidia-driver-390
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
  libatomic1:i386 libbsd0:i386 libdrm-amdgpu1:i386 libdrm-intel1:i386 libdrm-nouveau2:i386 libdrm-radeon1:i386 libdrm2:i386
  libedit2:i386 libelf1:i386 libexpat1:i386 libffi6:i386 libgl1:i386 libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 libglapi-mesa:i386 libglvnd0:i386
  libglx-mesa0:i386 libglx0:i386 libllvm9:i386 libnvidia-cfg1-390 libnvidia-common-390 libnvidia-decode-390 libnvidia-encode-390
  libnvidia-fbc1-390 libnvidia-gl-390 libnvidia-ifr1-390 libpciaccess0:i386 libsensors4:i386 libstdc++6:i386
  libwayland-client0:i386 libwayland-server0:i386 libx11-6:i386 libx11-xcb1:i386 libxau6:i386 libxcb-dri2-0:i386
  libxcb-dri3-0:i386 libxcb-glx0:i386 libxcb-present0:i386 libxcb-sync1:i386 libxcb1:i386 libxdamage1:i386 libxdmcp6:i386
  libxext6:i386 libxfixes3:i386 libxshmfence1:i386 libxxf86vm1:i386 nvidia-driver-390 nvidia-utils-390
  xserver-xorg-video-nvidia-390
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 48 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
After this operation, 417 MB disk space will be freed.
Interestingly, as you can see, nvidia-dkms-390 is not removed, nor is nvidia-headless-390.

I then used the command apt purge *nvidia*, which did remove those other files:

apt purge *nvidia*
  libnvidia-cfg1-390* libnvidia-common-390* libnvidia-compute-390* libnvidia-compute-440* libnvidia-decode-390* libnvidia-encode-390* libnvidia-fbc1-390* libnvidia-gl-390* libnvidia-ifr1-390* nvidia-compute-utils-390*
  nvidia-compute-utils-440* nvidia-dkms-390* nvidia-dkms-440* nvidia-driver-390* nvidia-headless-390* nvidia-headless-no-dkms-390* nvidia-kernel-common-390* nvidia-kernel-common-440* nvidia-kernel-source-390* nvidia-prime*
  nvidia-prime-applet* nvidia-settings* nvidia-utils-390* xserver-xorg-video-nvidia-390*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 24 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
After this operation, 203 MB disk space will be freed.
Then nvidia-driver-435 could then be installed.

So it appears that the apt purge *nvidia* command is needed when there is a headless installation.

roblm
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Kernel Update 5.0.0.37.95 to 5.3.0.26.95 Kills Video Drivers

Post by roblm »

D Canard wrote: I do not think the driver issue here is a surprise to developers. Some aspects of it have been foreseen since July of last year if not earlier: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... ER-Problem

The article in your link only applies to certain Nvidia GPUs running on IBM Power Systems used by server computers. I think Nvidia Linux support has been good over the years. Of course there is room for improvement but that’s less likely with the small base of Linux users, compared to Windows.

D Canard wrote: The fanless models are in sooooooo many people's media PCs (including mine), as well.
I personally prefer inexpensive fanless Nvidia GPUs. I have the GeForce 8400 GS, GF 210, two GT 730s and a GT 720.

I did some more investigation into the empty Driver Manager mystery. I initially thought it was another bug but the newer version of Driver Manager was designed to show that. The Mint 19.3 installation includes the mintdrivers v1.4.4 package, which contains the Driver Manager program. The first group of updates includes mintdrivers v1.4.5. The Changelog for that package says:

[ Michael Webster ]
   * mintdrivers.py: Don't show devices that have 'manual_install'

[ Clement Lefebvre ]
   * Print ignored device in terminal output for manually installed drivers
So any drivers that are listed as manually installed will not be shown in Driver Manager. Here is a screenshot of Driver Manager from mintdrivers v1.4.4, after a Nvidia driver uninstallation is attempted in that program.

driver manager.jpg

That is the bug introduced in Mint 19/Ubuntu 18.04, where the driver is not completely removed, it is called a manually installed driver, and all the drivers are grayed out and can’t be selected.
Previous versions of Driver Manager in Mint 18.xx and older worked correctly and only showed the "Continue using a manually installed driver" message when the driver was downloaded from Nvidia’s website and manually installed.

The screenshot below shows the empty Driver Manager from mintdrivers v1.4.5, after attempting a driver removal. The manually installed driver message is not seen.

driver manager empty.png

The mintdrivers configuration file is found in /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintdrivers/mintdrivers.py

Using the diff command to compare mintdrivers.py from v1.4.4 and v1.4.5 lists these extra lines in v1.4.5, which correspond to the Changelog:

if drivers["manually_installed"]:
                print("Ignoring device: %s (manually_installed)" % device_name)
                continue
After disabling those lines, Driver Manager then works like the previous version, where the drivers are grayed out.
Last edited by roblm on Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D Canard
Level 2
Level 2

Post by D Canard »

roblm wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:27 am
I think Nvidia Linux support has been good over the years.
I would disagree only by degree. My own personal experience has been that nVidia Linux support has been absolutely exemplary in comparison to most other hardware vendors. Prior to this incident, I have never had any issues with nVidia cards in Linux - something I can't say for nVidia and Win 7/10. This doesn't mean that there haven't been nVidia-Linux bullets (as others here can attest), but rather that I had the luck to dodge them. LOL

Diversion:
LM 19 LTS (Tara) Cinnamon is lovely. It is what is installed on my media PC - absolutely 1000% stable and reliable IMHO. As I said previously, it appears to be staying with the 4.x kernel, so there are no issues with nVidia cards. I hope this adherence to the 4.x kernel continues. I have no experience with 19.1 or 19.2. 19.3 (Tricia) Cinnamon seems a lot prettier than Tara - I haven't used it long enough to make any other comment. I have only had it running for a few days. It was a reload on 19 (Tara) system which had problems of my own making, problems which could be cleaned up with some effort, but .... hey ... effort ... hmmm.... Anyway, my point here in this diversion is that 19 (Tara) is an excellent option (at present) for anyone reading this thread. All 19.x LTS versions have the same best before date of April 2023.

@robim (again)
Also a large and general thank you should be offered to you by all here for your kind, patient and knowledgeable attention to this thread, so I will say it, "Thank you!"

Cheers..

kkycool
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kkycool »

Hello Y'All,

I had the same issue updating from 5.3.0-24 to 5.3.0-26. I am on a fresh Tricia install (prev. in Tessa kernel 4.15) and having optimus, i went to nvidia-prime (no more bumblebee in Kernel 5+) at fresh install with kernel 5 then upgraded to kernel 5.3.0-24 before committing in installing nvidia 435 using the 'Driver Manager'
i noticed few days later after upgrading to kernel 5.3.0-26 that nvidia was not performing well (nvidia-settings not showing properly).
i rebooted in kernel 5.3.0-24 and drivers were fine. using the 'Driver Manager' i reinstalled 'Nouveau' drivers.
rebooted i kernel 5.3.0-26, i purged nvidia as there was still some remnants

apt-get purge nvidia
apt install -y nvidia-prime nvidia-prime-applet   ### <= i need that on laptop
sudo prime-select nvidia   ### <= if not done previously
reboot again in kernel 5.3.0-26
open 'Driver Manager' and now selecting Nvidia 435.21 - apply
reboot [again] in kernel 5.3.0-26
NvidiaDriver is now operating fine

it might be a 'DKMS' issue/bug (recent kernel + recent driver etc...) and I not use the ppa nvidia [this should not impact anyway]
I guess at next kernel update i will have first to switch back to Nouveau + purge nvidia/ reboot + kernel upgrade / reboot + install nvidia / reboot
a bit more complicated than before in Tessa [i am more annoyed that SSD timeout in grub-uefi is now 30s...]

Voilà, my 2 cents, hoping it helps.
Laptop Asus NV580D linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon, m.2.SSD + i7 + optimus GTX 1050 Nv435 Krn5.3.0-26

D Canard
Level 2
Level 2

Post by D Canard »

roblm wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:27 am

I did some more investigation into the empty Driver Manager mystery. I initially thought it was another bug but the newer version of Driver Manager was designed to show that. The Mint 19.3 installation includes the mintdrivers v1.4.4 package, which contains the Driver Manager program. The first group of updates includes mintdrivers v1.4.5. The Changelog for that package says:

[ Michael Webster ]
   * mintdrivers.py: Don't show devices that have 'manual_install'

[ Clement Lefebvre ]
   * Print ignored device in terminal output for manually installed drivers
So any drivers that are listed as manually installed will not be shown in Driver Manager. Here is a screenshot of Driver Manager from mintdrivers v1.4.4, after a Nvidia driver uninstallation is attempted in that program.

driver manager.jpg

That is the bug introduced in Mint 19/Ubuntu 18.04, where the driver is not completely removed, it is called a manually installed driver, and all the drivers are grayed out and can’t be selected.
Previous versions of Driver Manager in Mint 18.xx and older worked correctly and only showed the "Continue using a manually installed driver" message when the driver was downloaded from Nvidia’s website and manually installed.

The screenshot below shows the empty Driver Manager from mintdrivers v1.4.5, after attempting a driver removal. The manually installed driver message is not seen.

driver manager empty.png

The mintdrivers configuration file is found in /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintdrivers/mintdrivers.py

Using the diff command to compare mintdrivers.py from v1.4.4 and v1.4.5 lists these extra lines in v1.4.5, which correspond to the Changelog:

continue
After disabling those lines, Driver Manager then works like the previous version, where the drivers are grayed out.
Having a generally curious nature, I have been experimenting with the various ways of approaching this problem. I have no real investment in this 19.03 installation, yet, so I don't care if I blow it up, and Timeshift provides a nice safety net ....

The 435 driver approach did not work for me at all. Maybe the 560 card is too old?

The best results for me are from your first suggestion:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
apt update
This does not require going to the Driver Manager to install 390.129 drivers as they are already shown as selected when the manager is opened. I can boot into the 5.3 kernel and everything looks just fine - appropriate video resolution. However, the Driver Manager also says "no proprietary drivers in use" while at the same time it shows the 390.129 drivers as selected.

continue
There is no change here with or without the above three lines in the mintdrivers.pny file rem'd out.

When at this point previously, I tried selecting the XOrg drivers and rebooting. This did not work well. The driver manager became completely blank.

With the lines above rem'd out, when I select the XOrg drivers and reboot, I get the results you posted above - no drivers from the list shown as selected - a radio button selected for "Continue using a manually installed driver" - and "No proprietary drivers are in use." As expected, if I unrem the lines, the driver manager returns to its blank state. However, with the lines rem'd out, there is no ability to change anything in the driver manager at this point. It seems frozen in this configuration.

The system as whole appears to be working just fine. I wonder what will happen down the road with future updates/upgrades, however, with this workaround in place.

Cheers.

GSimpson
Level 2
Level 2

Post by GSimpson »

Thank-you. That cleared the error messages.
HP Zbook
Intel© Core™ i7-4810MQ CPU @ 2.80GHz × 4
Linux Mint 19.3 64 bit Cinnamon
16GB ram

Graphics NVIDIA Corporation GK104GLM [Quadro K3100M]

roblm
Level 12
Level 12

Post by roblm »

D Canard wrote: The 435 driver approach did not work for me at all. Maybe the 560 card is too old?
Yes. Only the Nvidia 340 and 390 series drivers support your card.

D Canard wrote: However, with the lines rem'd out, there is no ability to change anything in the driver manager at this point. It seems frozen in this configuration.
That’s correct. Disabling the 3 lines in the mintdrivers.py file only prevents an empty Driver Manager, but the original problems still remain - that program still cannot completely remove the Nvidia driver and wrong messages can be shown. I just wanted to check if a new bug had been introduced.

The developers need to fix the program so users aren’t left in a state of confusion if they decide to revert back to using the nouveau driver. Another situation where the Nvidia driver needs to be removed is if the graphics-drivers PPA is added. If you have a driver from the repos installed, then a different driver from the repos can be installed without removing the first one, except for nvidia-340.

After adding the PPA and trying to install a driver from that PPA, it will not work and you will see a message similar to this:

ppa.png

After the installed driver is removed, a driver from the PPA can be installed, and after that, you can switch to any other repo or PPA driver without having to remove the installed driver.

andyjay
Level 1
Level 1

Post by andyjay »

Newbie 1st post, so apologise for lack of know how.
Using LM cinnamon 19.3 all going well until kernal 5.3...... installed. Same problem with NVidia GeForce 630, but when i fail to load the recommended Nvidia 390.116 driver the LM details box suggests I should: check if using third party repositories. If so disable them. And also to run: apt-get install -f
I am unable to try this remedy as I can find no way to identify and disable the third party repository(s). Any guidance on how to do this?
I can then report back if it works.

roblm
Level 12
Level 12

Post by roblm »

You need to decide if you want to use the 5.3 kernel, which loses support in July, or the 4.15 kernel, which is supported until 2023. The previous 5.0 kernel has reached end-of-life. You have an older video card, so I assume your PC is not very new, so the 4.15 kernel will probably work fine. Open Update Manager > View > Linux Kernels to install it.

Reboot. At the grub boot menu, select Advanced Options and the 4.15 kernel. At the desktop, re-install the Nvidia driver: apt install --reinstall nvidia-driver-390

Then remove the 5.3 kernel in Update Manager. Leave the 5.0 kernel for now, in case there is a problem with the 4.15 kernel.

Or if you want or need to keep the 5.3 kernel to support other newer hardware, remove the installed Nvidia 390.116 driver because it has no support for the 5.3 kernel. Open the Terminal and use this command: apt autoremove nvidia-driver-390

Reboot and use these commands in the Terminal to add the graphics-drivers PPA, to get a newer driver:
apt update

Then open Driver Manager and install nvidia-driver-390 (version 390.129)

Omaru
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Omaru »

I have the same problem :(
I use LinuxMint 19.3 with the 5.0.0.37.95 kernel with a proprietary driver: nVida 390.116-0ubuntu.18.04.1 (recommended) on an nvidia GeForce GT 610 video card, which works fine; but when upgrading to the 5.3.0.26.95 kernel those drivers stop working and you have to downgrade the 5.0.0.37.95 kernel again to get them working.

wibbly
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wibbly »

Thank goodness I found this thread. Yup, one day I was running a fault free Linuxmint, the next I was in a quagmire that I have only just dug myself out of.

Hardware acceleration warning appeared, looked at Driver Manager and it was still on 390? Tried to force a reinstall by selecting the OpenSource option and then rebooted...except it wouldn't. I then got the TCS Deadline error, and couldn't boot from the HD.I created a Live USB using my laptop, and rebooted the Desktop eventually using that. Had to alter the BIOS to boot the USB as UEFI, as otherwise Boot Repair won't work.

It repaired GRUB (at least I think it did - I haven't checked yet), and the TCS Deadline error disappeared, but I am still in low res...and Driver Manager still shows 390 in use. The Hardware Acceleration warning is still appearing

The system showed multiple drivers installed so I removed the fbdev (from memory I think that's what it was called) and then tried reverting back to 390 from Open Source:
installArchives() failed: (Reading database ...
(Reading database ... 5%%
(Reading database ... 10%%
(Reading database ... 15%%
(Reading database ... 20%%
(Reading database ... 25%%
(Reading database ... 30%%
(Reading database ... 35%%
(Reading database ... 40%%
(Reading database ... 45%%
(Reading database ... 50%%
(Reading database ... 55%%
(Reading database ... 60%%
(Reading database ... 65%%
(Reading database ... 70%%
(Reading database ... 75%%
(Reading database ... 80%%
(Reading database ... 85%%
(Reading database ... 90%%
(Reading database ... 95%%
(Reading database ... 100%%
(Reading database ... 528475 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing libcuda1-340 (340.107-0ubuntu0.18.04.4) ...
Removing nvidia-opencl-icd-340 (340.107-0ubuntu0.18.04.4) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libnvidia-cfg1-390:amd64.
(Reading database ...
(Reading database ... 5%%
(Reading database ... 10%%
(Reading database ... 15%%
(Reading database ... 20%%
(Reading database ... 25%%
(Reading database ... 30%%
(Reading database ... 35%%
(Reading database ... 40%%
(Reading database ... 45%%
(Reading database ... 50%%
(Reading database ... 55%%
(Reading database ... 60%%
(Reading database ... 65%%
(Reading database ... 70%%
(Reading database ... 75%%
(Reading database ... 80%%
(Reading database ... 85%%
(Reading database ... 90%%
(Reading database ... 95%%
(Reading database ... 100%%
(Reading database ... 528460 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../00-libnvidia-cfg1-390_390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libnvidia-cfg1-390:amd64 (390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libnvidia-compute-390:i386.
Preparing to unpack .../01-libnvidia-compute-390_390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1_i386.deb ...
Unpacking libnvidia-compute-390:i386 (390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libnvidia-compute-390:amd64.
Preparing to unpack .../02-libnvidia-compute-390_390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libnvidia-compute-390:amd64 (390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libnvidia-decode-390:amd64.
Preparing to unpack .../03-libnvidia-decode-390_390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libnvidia-decode-390:amd64 (390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libnvidia-decode-390:i386.
Preparing to unpack .../04-libnvidia-decode-390_390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1_i386.deb ...
Unpacking libnvidia-decode-390:i386 (390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libnvidia-encode-390:i386.
Preparing to unpack .../05-libnvidia-encode-390_390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1_i386.deb ...
Unpacking libnvidia-encode-390:i386 (390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libnvidia-encode-390:amd64.
Preparing to unpack .../06-libnvidia-encode-390_390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libnvidia-encode-390:amd64 (390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libnvidia-fbc1-390:i386.
Preparing to unpack .../07-libnvidia-fbc1-390_390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1_i386.deb ...
Unpacking libnvidia-fbc1-390:i386 (390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libnvidia-fbc1-390:amd64.
Preparing to unpack .../08-libnvidia-fbc1-390_390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libnvidia-fbc1-390:amd64 (390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libnvidia-gl-390:amd64.
Preparing to unpack .../09-libnvidia-gl-390_390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1_amd64.deb ...
diversion of /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1 to /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1.distrib by nvidia-340
dpkg-divert: error: mismatch on package
when removing 'diversion of /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1 by libnvidia-gl-390'
found 'diversion of /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1 to /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1.distrib by nvidia-340'
dpkg: error processing archive /tmp/apt-dpkg-install-YO6gtO/09-libnvidia-gl-390_390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
new libnvidia-gl-390:amd64 package pre-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 2
Selecting previously unselected package libnvidia-gl-390:i386.
Preparing to unpack .../10-libnvidia-gl-390_390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1_i386.deb ...
diversion of /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1 to /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1.distrib by nvidia-340
when removing 'diversion of /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1 by libnvidia-gl-390'
found 'diversion of /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1 to /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1.distrib by nvidia-340'
dpkg: error processing archive /tmp/apt-dpkg-install-YO6gtO/10-libnvidia-gl-390_390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1_i386.deb (--unpack):
new libnvidia-gl-390:i386 package pre-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 2
Selecting previously unselected package libnvidia-ifr1-390:amd64.
Preparing to unpack .../11-libnvidia-ifr1-390_390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libnvidia-ifr1-390:amd64 (390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libnvidia-ifr1-390:i386.
Preparing to unpack .../12-libnvidia-ifr1-390_390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1_i386.deb ...
Unpacking libnvidia-ifr1-390:i386 (390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package nvidia-compute-utils-390.
Preparing to unpack .../13-nvidia-compute-utils-390_390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking nvidia-compute-utils-390 (390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package nvidia-dkms-390.
Preparing to unpack .../14-nvidia-dkms-390_390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking nvidia-dkms-390 (390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package nvidia-utils-390.
Preparing to unpack .../15-nvidia-utils-390_390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking nvidia-utils-390 (390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package xserver-xorg-video-nvidia-390.
Preparing to unpack .../16-xserver-xorg-video-nvidia-390_390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking xserver-xorg-video-nvidia-390 (390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package nvidia-driver-390.
Preparing to unpack .../17-nvidia-driver-390_390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking nvidia-driver-390 (390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
/tmp/apt-dpkg-install-YO6gtO/09-libnvidia-gl-390_390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1_amd64.deb
/tmp/apt-dpkg-install-YO6gtO/10-libnvidia-gl-390_390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1_i386.deb
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of nvidia-driver-390:
nvidia-driver-390 depends on libnvidia-gl-390 (= 390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1); however:
Package libnvidia-gl-390:amd64 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package nvidia-driver-390 (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Setting up libnvidia-fbc1-390:i386 (390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) ...
Setting up libnvidia-fbc1-390:amd64 (390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libnvidia-ifr1-390:amd64:
libnvidia-ifr1-390:amd64 depends on libnvidia-gl-390; however:
Package libnvidia-gl-390:amd64 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package libnvidia-ifr1-390:amd64 (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libnvidia-ifr1-390:i386:
libnvidia-ifr1-390:i386 depends on libnvidia-gl-390; however:
Package libnvidia-gl-390:i386 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package libnvidia-ifr1-390:i386 (--configure):
Setting up libnvidia-compute-390:amd64 (390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) ...
Setting up libnvidia-compute-390:i386 (390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) ...
Setting up nvidia-dkms-390 (390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) ...
update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
INFO:Enable nvidia
DEBUG:Parsing /usr/share/ubuntu-drivers-common/quirks/put_your_quirks_here
DEBUG:Parsing /usr/share/ubuntu-drivers-common/quirks/lenovo_thinkpad
DEBUG:Parsing /usr/share/ubuntu-drivers-common/quirks/dell_latitude
Loading new nvidia-390.116 DKMS files...
Building for 5.3.0-26-generic
Building for architecture x86_64
Building initial module for 5.3.0-26-generic
ERROR (dkms apport): kernel package linux-headers-5.3.0-26-generic is not supported
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 5.3.0-26-generic (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/nvidia/390.116/build/make.log for more information.
Setting up libnvidia-cfg1-390:amd64 (390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) ...
Setting up xserver-xorg-video-nvidia-390 (390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) ...
Setting up libnvidia-decode-390:amd64 (390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) ...
Setting up libnvidia-decode-390:i386 (390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) ...
Setting up nvidia-compute-utils-390 (390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) ...
Warning: The home dir /nonexistent you specified can't be accessed: No such file or directory
Adding system user `nvidia-persistenced' (UID 103) ...
Adding new group `nvidia-persistenced' (GID 105) ...
Adding new user `nvidia-persistenced' (UID 103) with group `nvidia-persistenced' ...
Not creating home directory `/nonexistent'.
Setting up libnvidia-encode-390:i386 (390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) ...
Setting up libnvidia-encode-390:amd64 (390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) ...
Setting up nvidia-utils-390 (390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.8.3-2ubuntu0.1) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.27-3ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.130ubuntu3.9) ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.3.0-26-generic
I guess that I will have to try Timeshift and see if that fixes it, but I hadn't actually updated anything between the time I last used the PC and when I ran into problems.
Linuxmint 64bit version Always the latest version
Intel i5 4690k @ 3.50Ghz x 4
Ram 8GB
WD Black 1TB
GEForce GT460SE 1GB

roblm
Level 12
Level 12

Post by roblm »

wibbly,

You have the same diversion and dpkg-divert error messages that user GSimpson had in his post in this topic.
diversion of /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1 to /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.1.distrib by nvidia-340
They are sometimes seen when there was a previous nvidia-340 driver installation and then a newer driver installation is attempted. The first step is to remove those messages unsing this command:

for FILE in $(dpkg-divert --list | grep nvidia-340 | awk '{print $3}'); do sudo dpkg-divert --remove $FILE; done
Then follow the instructions I gave to user andyjay, two posts before yours.

wibbly
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wibbly »

Many thanks for the info. In the end I temporarily solved it with Timeshift, but completely forgot that my updates were set to Auto, so today I booted and of course the screen res was back to Lego bricks. I removed the kernel creating the problem and had the resolution back, then went back to Update Manager and saw various Nvidia updates in there. I installed those, rebooted, and everything is now running as it should, I even have the correct Nvidia config screen.

I've now switched off Auto updates, I can see the drawback with it. If I don't know what has been updated and when, it makes problems much more difficult to trace.

There are a few threads around the web about this issue, I wonder how many users are sat there wondering if their pc is broken? Due to the corrupted boot I was pulling my PC apart checking plugs and sockets, going into the BIOS, and was convinced that I either had a blown motherboard, SATA signal issue, duff RAM etc. I was seriously costing up a new pc against upgrading this one.

Of course, the great news is that the fix was free and there is nothing wrong with my desktop pc. :D
Linuxmint 64bit version Always the latest version
Intel i5 4690k @ 3.50Ghz x 4
Ram 8GB
WD Black 1TB
GEForce GT460SE 1GB

JustBoo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JustBoo »

Hello everyone. Been truly satisfied with Linux Mint. It’s great, as is this community. :)

But… I’m concerned about the issue in this thread. Currently everything is running perfect. This is an attempt to avoid the current grief machine.

Setup follows:
Video card: nvidia GTX 650Ti Boost.
Operating System: Linux Mint 19.3
Kernel: Linux 5.0.0-32-generic

Drivers:
Again, working great with this configuration, but I’d like to upgrade.

So in theory, if I check the 435 package, (probably reboot) and then allow the 5.3 upgrade…

In your opinion, :) do you guys think it will work without issue?

Thank you so much.

tontonanton
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tontonanton »

roblm wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:07 am
Hi everyone,

The Nvidia 390.116 driver does not have support for the 5.3 kernel, but the newer 390.129 version does. You can get this driver by adding the graphics-drivers PPA, or wait until it is available through an Update Manager update:

apt update
Then open Driver Manager to install the newer driver.

This driver problem is also discussed in this topic, which is on the same page in this forum:
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=308493
Thank you very much. Solved my nvidia 560 ti drivers problems with latests updates. Cheers !

D Canard
Level 2
Level 2

Post by D Canard »

OK ... so having started this thread, I am now wussing out. :oops:

I am posting from a Win 10 machine which now contains my nVidia 560 card. The slighter newer AMD card from that machine is now in my LM 19.3 box. I Timeshifted back to before the trouble, shut down, swapped cards, rebooted and installed all the updates, including the 5.3 kernel. Problem? What problem? LOL. :lol:

I will repeat that 19 (Tara), a lovely OS, continues to work just fine on my media PC which has an older vVidia card. 19 still has the 4.x kernel. I also have a small laptop, used for travelling, which still has the 4.x kernel (although it does not have an nVidia GPU).

I think (but am not certain) that 19.1 (Tessa) and 19.2 (Tina) also stay with the 4.x kernel. I am making this assumption from the press around 19.3 which stated that it was the first LM version to introduce the 5.x kernel. But, hey, I could be wrong. I have been wrong many times before.

All 19 versions are LTS. Good till April 2023.

If you have an affected nVidia card (and can't swap it out) and are not heavily invested in your 19.3 installation (time and effort), try installing one of the earlier versions. Problem? What problem? Most application settings are easily backed up and migrated as long as the applications are at the same version level - Firefox, Chrome, Chromium, Opera, Vivaldi, Thunderbird, etc. Life away from the bleeding edge can be quite comfortable and enjoyable.

smurphos
Level 16
Level 16

Post by smurphos »

D Canard wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:12 pm
If you have an affected nVidia card (and can't swap it out) and are not heavily invested in your 19.3 installation (time and effort), try installing one of the earlier versions. Problem? What problem? Most application settings are easily backed up and migrated as long as the applications are at the same version level - Firefox, Chrome, Chromium, Opera, Vivaldi, Thunderbird, etc. Life away from the bleeding edge can be quite comfortable and enjoyable.
Bear in mind is is a relatively trivial exercise to revert to the LTS kernel (and graphics stack) in 19.3 without reinstalling. It is a similarly a relatively trivial exercise to do the reverse in 19, 19.1 and 19.2 should a user wish to.

The revert to LTS in 19.3, you'll need to install the latest 4.15 kernel via Update manager > View kernels, then reboot, access grub and boot into the newly installed 4.15 kernel, before going back into Update Manager to remove all 5 and 5.3 kernels installed. If you want to keep your graphics stack at LTS it is simply a case of apt install xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-video-all followed by a reboot.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

roblm
Level 12
Level 12

Post by roblm »

JustBoo wrote: So in theory, if I check the 435 package, (probably reboot) and then allow the 5.3 upgrade…

I would expect no problems.

JustBoo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JustBoo »

roblm wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:46 pm
JustBoo wrote: So in theory, if I check the 435 package, (probably reboot) and then allow the 5.3 upgrade…

I would expect no problems.
Thank you, I appreciate the response and advice. :)

D Canard
Level 2
Level 2

Post by D Canard »

smurphos wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:36 pm
D Canard wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:12 pm
Bear in mind is is a relatively trivial exercise to revert to the LTS kernel (and graphics stack) in 19.3 without reinstalling. It is a similarly a relatively trivial exercise to do the reverse in 19, 19.1 and 19.2 should a user wish to.

The revert to LTS in 19.3, you'll need to install the latest 4.15 kernel via Update manager > View kernels, then reboot, access grub and boot into the newly installed 4.15 kernel, before going back into Update Manager to remove all 5 and 5.3 kernels installed. If you want to keep your graphics stack at LTS it is simply a case of apt install xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-video-all followed by a reboot.
Excellent advice for those with skill and interest.

I have used Linux on and off since Ubuntu 6.06.2 LTS (Dapper Drake) - the first really friendly Linux desktop (Ubuntu is Swahili for "I do not know how to install Debian!) - and have had to work with other flavours, mostly Cent OS, in various network edge security appliances, etc. (Hey, my elementary school age daughter, a complete non-techie, took to Dapper like a fish, or in this case a duck, to water.) But I still consider myself a relative noob, especially in the company of those who have used Unix since the time when most normal people thought the term referred to medieval choir boys.

A combination of (bad) experiences and relative inexperience (with Linux, still) has taught me to be shy about colouring outside the lines which developers expect to find when they are pushing out updates/upgrades. Modifications to get unsupported hardware working, the installation of software from outside mainstream repositories (and OS mods required for this), etc. have almost always come back to bite me (conflicts of dependencies and broken dependencies, etc), eventually. And, yes, with the help of friendly and enthusiastic people in various Linux forums, I have almost always succeeded in recovering from the bites and have learned a lot in the process. But the process often goes on and on and on - trouble, learning, fixing ..... This can be fun if you have the right attitude and sense of adventure and curiosity and if you enjoy learning.

Many people, however, do not have aptitude, skills, knowledge, or curiosity. They have no interest in knowing anything beyond where the power button is on their computer - no shame in that - most people have no clue about the inner workings of their cars - I put the key in, turn it, and the car works. Ubuntu and Linux Mint have demonstrated that they can build an excellent desktop for these people - stable, reliable and safe - turn it on and it just works. I successfully weaned a lot of family members and friends off their expired-support XP installations with Linux Mint, and they scarcely noticed the difference in as much as they were not interested in anything other than the power button. Some commented that they liked it because they had fewer problems than with XP. Colouring outside the lines is not for these people. Life away from the bleeding edge can be quite comfortable and enjoyable.

Linux Mint 19 (Tara) is nice. :D

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”