NV turns 2nd monitor to clone at various software starting

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
csiga77
Level 1
Level 1

NV turns 2nd monitor to clone at various software starting

Post by csiga77 »

Hi all,

I was struggling for a long time with my old screens. This new one came up without any change or update, and I never seen this one before.

Some, not even fullscreen apps does something with my screen settings, after a sec blackout, turning my 2nd to "clone" and down to 1024x768, resulting all my windows and panels to end up on my 1st. It started a few days ago, when I did something I do every day, so it seems really odd. Basically the offset of the screen changes to 0,0 - so it falls back to the first screen's startpoint.

For now, I have my NV-X-settings app running all the time, and in few hours, when it happens, I do my ~50 clicks, and try to avoid it to happen again - meaning I keep all these apps open all the time - very annoying. Some apps that will do this: (suprisingly) teamviewer, media player (was an accident: I use smplayer which does NOT cause it to happen), playonlinux (not always) ... some more, but I don't see a pattern.

My xorg.conf did not change, I compared it with my backup, with what I spent a few days to work out how my system will be workable at all...

I'm not a simple case. I have 2 monitors, first is a CRT which I use for gaming at 120/160/200Hz, second is a regular 19" TFT at 60. Since both has VGA input, i have two DVI2VGA adapters on my cards butt, so I can't use EDID. I "hardcoded" the resolution restrictions to xorg.conf, had to add some more parameters like NOEDID, and finally I got the desired resolutions in the graphical display setting screen. The oddest thing is, when the above shoot hits the fan, the TFT goes to 1024x768, which is not even on my resolution list normally, but after it, i get an enormous list, including UHD modes...

I use mint 19.2 x64 xfce, "newest" 340.107 NV prop drivers for my old 9600GT, kernel 4.15.0-58-generic.

edit: Display settings does the thing too! I just read it here, to go there, apply to save the monitors.xml, but it does the same. Can't even use it to reconfigure them side by side...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”