Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
gm3
Level 1
Level 1

External monitor issues.

Post by gm3 »

I installed Mint 20. Had external monitor issues. Installed the beta version. No issues. In update manager I installed the mesa software update and any software update that had Cinnamon in the title. All updates with Cinnamon in its title worked ok but one. This update caused my issues.

Cinnamon Desktop
The Cinnamon Library update 4.6.2+Ulyana

Description:
This library is used by Cinnamon. It contains the gsettings schemas as well as utility functions.

packages:
This update affects the following installed packages:
• cinnamon-desktop-data
• gir1.2-cinnamondesktop-3.0
• gir1.2-cvc-1.0
• libcinnamon-desktop-dbg
• libcinnamon-desktop4
• libcvc-dbg
• libcvc0
Total size: 703 KB

changelog:
[ Michael Webster ]
* Fixes for gnome-rr scaling (#150)

Had a black screen covering about majority of external monitor. Anything I opened up defaulted to right side of the external monitor so I had to alt drag it over to be able to use it. Much, much flickering. Also flickering whenever I moved cursor over desktop icons.

My laptop is in a dock which a poster from another thread indicated they had issues.

Can't imagine posting again. Had no issues in Mints 17,18,19. My laptops are HP 2540p Elitebooks.
Miss Hearts.

Hope this info helps.
gm3
Level 1
Level 1

Re: External monitor issues.

Post by gm3 »

Would also state the flickering happened with the laptop in and out of the dock with external monitor attached. Lastly, in Mint 20, I mirrored displays, set resolution to laptop default, changed close lid to do nothing. Closed lid, set external monitor to native resolution, opened lid. No issues until the next boot.
gm3
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved]Re: External monitor issues.

Post by gm3 »

Update manager posted Cinnamon desktop 4.6.3+ulyana new version. I installed, no issues.
AndyMH
Level 12
Level 12

Post by AndyMH »

You are not the first with external monitor problems and LM20.
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=322970&p=1835117&h ... r#p1835117
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
gm3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gm3 »

I read your thread. I installed kernel 4.15 from info provided. I installed the beta version from info provided. We both had docks. I did not have quite the resolution issues you had. I have H.P. hardware. On another thread the e/m issues were so identical to mine I "could" have copied and pasted them to my thread. So I installed the beta version (with no issues) and went to the update manager and read through the software updates an installed updates. The Cinnamon Desktop update caused my issues and I timeshifted back and all was good. Then the newer version of Cinnamon Desktop update was posted I installed it and I have no issues. Thank you for starting your thread. From the info provided my issues are gone. Much thanks to the mint team.
manjo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by manjo »

Hello all,
The issue is with cinnamon-desktop package version 4.6.2-2
there was no issues with version 4.4.1-2

I first noted the problem on fedora+cinnamon but the issue is present on Mint live/install image as well,
-took some time to investigate, it turnes out:

For some reason:
xrandr reports "Screen0" size combined length of both screens
(as if it assumes extended display settup)

EXAMPLE:
if I have 1920x1080 internal laptop screen and external 2560x1440
xrandr reports: Screen0 to be: 4480x1440 this would would NOT be wrong (for combined screens) BUT my internal screen is
closed (disabled) and as it seems cinnamon-desktop is trying to setup 4480x1440 on 2560x1440 external monitor...
long story short -when I manualy set the screen size:
xrandr -s 2560x1440
The issues get resolved and everything is displayed properly...

NOTES:
with older cinnamon-desktop package installed xrandr reports "Screen0" as 2560x1440 (in my case seems more logical)
(I never EVER had such issues before with my monitor setup and I'm not using any special setups/settings, more...
Live USB image has the same issue -fresh live images used to work without issues before...
the solution is NOT to mess with any Display/monitor settings (monitors.xml) and what not (on user end), because "live CD/USB/install image"
boots up to broken, distorted display "out of the box" -basically unusable... so it needs to be fixed elswhere

Keep up the good work, regards,
manjo

a couple minutes ago I tried and upgraded cinnamon-desktop and related packages / dependencies -there is no more display issues
so iguess it's RESOLVED

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”