Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
darkrchaos
Level 1
Level 1

Good Monitors for Linux Mint?

Post by darkrchaos »

I like to keep my screen fairly dark, specially with so much white on the screen, but this makes it hard to view dark images/videos/games. I tried some options to lighten my screen, other then using the annoying buttons below the monitor, but nothing is working good. I found DDC Control which seems like a good option, but my monitor (Sceptre) doesn't seem to be supported.

What are some good monitors for linux mint? It doesn't have to work with DDC Control, but I would like to buy a monitor that I can easily control the brightness and contrast from linux.
Kadaitcha Man
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Good Monitors for Linux Mint?

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

darkrchaos wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:01 pm
... I would like to buy a monitor that I can easily control the brightness and contrast from linux.
The only displays that allow you to control brightness from the operating system that I'm aware of are all built-in screens on laptops. I'm not certain that I've ever noticed the ability to adjust contrast from a laptop keyboard. With external displays on either laptops or desktop machines, the only way to control the display from within the OS is via the video driver, but these solutions play with the video output of the video card rather than modify the settings of the actual monitor itself, so the results can be disappointing, delivering a wishy-washy display.

https://launchpad.net/~apandada1/+archi ... controller

You might like to see if that is suitable for you before opting for a replacement monitor.

As for a replacement, the Sceptre brand is unknown to me. If you do look at a replacement I would encourage you to consider only well known brands, e.g. Acer, Samsung, LG, AOC, Asus, Benq, ViewSonic, Dell...
All kadaitcha men are liars (It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha)
darkrchaos
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Good Monitors for Linux Mint?

Post by darkrchaos »

Thanks I'll try it out

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”