PROBLEM SOLVED Will a MSI GeForce GT 1030 2GH LP OC work with Mint 20??

Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
lostsoul
Level 2
Level 2

PROBLEM SOLVED Will a MSI GeForce GT 1030 2GH LP OC work with Mint 20??

Post by lostsoul »

I have tried all sorts of things to get my existing GT 710 to work with Mint 20 as it does in 19. All I get is a black screen regardless of which install/boot option I use. The builtin Nouveau driver does not work with the 710 and, because of the black screen at the end of the boot/install, there is no way for me to tell the driver manager to install the proprietary Nvidia driver

Rather than my next idea which was trying to high-jack and transplant part of Ubuntu 20.04 -- which is perfectly happy with the 710 -- I thought I would throw some $$ at the problem and get a newer card. I want it fan-less, i.e. quiet, and capable of running my 4K UHD monitor at max resolution, nothing more.

So I was looking at the MSI GeForce GT 1030 2GH LP OC but I could not find out whether Mint 20 would also reject it. Does anyone know if that card will work? Or where I might be able to find that information?

Thanks
Last edited by lostsoul on Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Will a MSI GeForce GT 1030 2GH LP OC work with Mint 20??

Post by mr_raider »

Well I used a gtx 1070 with no issues for years, so the 1030 will work.

The question why wasn't the previous GP working? It may not have been a card related problem.
lostsoul
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lostsoul »

mr_raider wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:57 pm
Well I used a gtx 1070 with no issues for years, so the 1030 will work.

The question why wasn't the previous GP working? It may not have been a card related problem.
Thanks for the information.

If I had a definitive answer for why the 710 will not work on Mint 20, I could easily fix my problem. It works fine on 19, on Ubuntu Desktop 20.04 [installed with safe video or words to that effect], but will not work with Mint 20 regardless of whether it is an installed version or using a bootable DVD. I have tried all of these with the installs being on a spare HD; the Mint 20 install was done with the on-board video, not the 710 and that works fine.

With Mint 20 [regardless of normal/compatibility/OEM] all I get is a black screen. After all this, I have concluded that my problem lies with the Nouveau driver in 20: it will not work with the 710. And because I get a black screen, I cannot install the Nividia drivers. If I am using the on-board video, driver manager ignores the 710 because it is not in use so I cannot use that 'backdoor' method to install the Nvidia driver.

This has lead me to consider buying a newer card so I can use Mint 20. The only alternatives to that which I have come up with would be a huge challenge to try given my meager knowledge about Linux.

But I do not want to buy another card that will not work with Mint 20. That is the reason for this post.
roblm
Level 12
Level 12

Post by roblm »

I suggest switching to the integrated graphics so you can boot to the desktop. Then open the Terminal and use this command to try installing the Nvidia driver: apt install nvidia-driver-440
After the installation, reboot but enter the BIOS and switch to the Nvidia GPU.
lostsoul
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lostsoul »

roblm wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:59 pm
I suggest switching to the integrated graphics so you can boot to the desktop. Then open the Terminal and use this command to try installing the Nvidia driver: apt install nvidia-driver-440
After the installation, reboot but enter the BIOS and switch to the Nvidia GPU.
If I understand you correctly, this will install the Nvidia driver even though the card is not being used??

I had thought of that but not using Terminal. However, the driver manager did not even offer any Nvidia drivers when I used the on-board ATI video.
roblm
Level 12
Level 12

Post by roblm »

lostsoul wrote: If I understand you correctly, this will install the Nvidia driver even though the card is not being used??
Yes, the driver should install, but it's uncertain if it will load without problems after switching to the Nvidia GPU.
lostsoul
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lostsoul »

Thanks Robin.

Tomorrow after I am fortified with lots of coffee, I will experiment with the spare HD that has Mint 20 installed on it.

I sure hope this works!
lostsoul
Level 2
Level 2

PROBLEM SOLVED Re: Will a MSI GeForce GT 1030 2GH LP OC work with Mint 20??

Post by lostsoul »

Well it was a long convoluted process but it worked!

The install using the APT command took more time than I had expected but that was probably a combination of 20 being on a HD and the amount of downloading of components that were needed; I must confess I had not changed the repository location to the one closest to me so that likely contributed to the time needed. Each time I downloaded or changed BIOS settings, I rebooted just to confirm that all was well. Flipping back and forth changing the video device in the BIOS concerned me a couple of times because I am used to the speed of my SSD and found the HD rather pokey in contrast. I was worried that I had messed up when I changed the BIOS setting even though it was quite simple.

When all was done and I booted 20 with the add-on Nvidia card as primary.......the Nvidia driver was detected and started without any problem! Phew!! :D

Thank you very much for your advice roblm! My mind has become polluted over the years using Windoz and I forgot all about the power of the CLI. Many years ago when I used Amigas, the CLI was very useful albeit not as convenient as the GUI.

This experience will certainly put using the CLI back into my consciousness should I run into a roadblock with the GUI.

I am going to use 20 for a few days to see if I like it in contrast to 19 and, if I do, I will save off my data from the SSD and do a clean install of 20 on it.

I need to say thank you yet again roblm!

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”