Nvidia legacy driver 304.137 working with Linux Mint 20.3 x64 xfce

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pmx_lm
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Nvidia legacy driver 304.137 working with Linux Mint 20 & 20.1 x64 xfce

Post by pmx_lm »

The culprit is the second one in the list :

privacy.resistFingerprinting = true

Set to false
Not that I understand what it means... :lol:

WebGL should work in Firefox (I kept all others optimisations).
defPeki
Level 1
Level 1

Post by defPeki »

Thanks Pierre, that really solved the WebGL issue on Firefox! Thanks for testing!

As for what it means, the description says: "A result of the Tor Uplift effort, this preference makes Firefox more resistant to browser fingerprinting."
I assume it makes various changes to prevent tracking and fingerprinting, and that includes disabling WebGL. The website links to an URL explaining why WebGL is potentially dangerous and should be disabled if you're concerned; but I don't think you should worry unless you go around shady websites, or at least I hope so. Their source: https://security.stackexchange.com/ques ... ty-concern

They also include links to check overall protection:
https://panopticlick.eff.org/
https://browserleaks.com/
https://ipleak.net/
shovdmi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by shovdmi »

Hi there! The sequence works like a charm! Thanks!

I've met a couple of problems though. Firefox and Viber didn't play x264 videos. To fix this I suggest to add packages to be installed from boinics repository.

[6] Install Xorg 1.19 and some packages needed:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-input-all xserver-xorg-input-libinput

sudo apt install libvdpau1=1.1.1-3ubuntu1 gstreamer1.0-libav=1.14.0-1

[11] Mark xserver-xorg-core, libvdpau1, gstreamer1.0-libav packages as NOT upgradeable :

sudo apt-mark hold xserver-xorg-core libvdpau1 gstreamer1.0-libav
After doing this everything works well even on my ancient PC.
AadikarBhandari
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AadikarBhandari »

Just made this account to inform everyone that this list of patches and tutorial on installing the legacy 304 drivers is working perfectly fine with LinuxMint 20.2 Cinnamon. I however, did not restart it for the second time, and proceeded to download the drivers and patch it, then removed xorg and installed it using given ppa. Then only I restarted. Not sure if that broke something, but the line about disabling nouveau by creating new file did not work. I however went to blacklist file and added blacklist nouveau. and reboot. That did the trick, and i installed normally.

Kudos to everyone involved !
bidh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bidh »

Hello, thank you for giving the solution and detailed howto. :D
Those random freeze were maddening but the troubles to find the problem and the fix were just as bad.

But yeah my onboard GeForce 6100 works with LinuxMint 20.2 xfce.

Although I noticed I couldn't watch youtube or any x264 video.
I guess it's related to the fact I couldn't install gstreamer1.0-libav=1.14.0-1 from bionics repository.
Like he did, so there's still some digging and work to do.

After manually downgrading 13 deb packages (and several others automatically) X264 vids works on firefox.
shovdmi wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:13 am Hi there! The sequence works like a charm! Thanks!

I've met a couple of problems though. Firefox and Viber didn't play x264 videos. To fix this I suggest to add packages to be installed from boinics repository.

[6] Install Xorg 1.19 and some packages needed:

sudo apt install xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-input-all xserver-xorg-input-libinput

sudo apt install libvdpau1=1.1.1-3ubuntu1 gstreamer1.0-libav=1.14.0-1

[11] Mark xserver-xorg-core, libvdpau1, gstreamer1.0-libav packages as NOT upgradeable :

sudo apt-mark hold xserver-xorg-core libvdpau1 gstreamer1.0-libav
After doing this everything works well even on my ancient PC.
u2rishi
Level 2
Level 2

Post by u2rishi »

Hi

Will this work for Linuxmint 19 Tara.
Rishi Sharma
Linuxmint 20, Ulyana, Cinnamon, 64 bit, 5.4.100-113 kernel, dual-boot window 7, Gigabyte M61PME-S2P motherboard, Graphics NVIDIA C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430], AMD Sempron LE-1250x1 2.2 ghz HDD 80 gb, 4 gb ram
superpc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by superpc »

hi,
i'm newber and i need to solve this issue with 304.137 driver for nvidia 7100 graphic.
I tried to solve with this guide and now after 13st step i'm blocked on blank screen after startup. Nvidia installation goes with no errors. Can everyone help me? thanks
burrezo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by burrezo »

Hi superpc,

Which version of Linux Mint are you trying to install?... 20.3 Xfce?
superpc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by superpc »

i have installed linux lite 5.6. After trying various method i solved. The issue was xorg 1.20 already installed and when this guide asked to comment all repositories list i didn't understand what means. Trying to delete the list and add only bionic repositories finally installed xorg 1.19 and worked. Thanks so much for reply.
jescg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jescg »

I can no longer clone the github repository, it is not available anylonger. I have tried also to clone it from Windows and it keeps doing some error. I've looked for those patches online and nothing just yet. I just want Zoom calls not to crash nor get frozen video and active audio. I hope I get some feedback, thanks, friends.
burrezo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by burrezo »

The GitHub repository looks fine... https://github.com/jorgem-seq/NVIDIA-Li ... 37-patches

Any way, there you have the patches (file attached).

Regards.
Attachments
NVIDIA-Linux-304.137-patches-master.zip
(10.02 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
jescg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jescg »

Thank you, my friend... I was not able to see your reply until now. I really do appreciate that, for real.
And even more due to your kindess of attaching the patches as a downloable file. :D :D :D :D
Is there a chance that this gets to wrok on Linux Mint 20.3 XFCE? That's the version I have installed on that machine.
I'll have a chance to probe this when like in 3 or 4 weeks, due that that PC is my sister's actual PC and I live with my father. Just as soon as I get to apply this, I'll post the results. Quiero mucho a esta comunidad linuxera. <3

Edit: I was not able to download those files because I was aldready in console mode and even I tried to download it with git on windows with git bash, nothing worked but now I come to realize... god, silly of me, I just needed to click on the link, then get the files and just use them. How in heaven did I not think of that. Hahahaha. :lol:
jescg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jescg »

On Linux Mint 20.3 XFCE
I tried to install the patches, did every step of the tutorial (excep for the git part, having those files near the HDD's root made it easier for me), but when getting into applying the patches, with the first one, my terminal would just freeze much time, I think that it should not happen... don't know why it happened. Does it take too long to apply every one of the patches?
These are the specifications of the PC where I am trying to install the drivers:
Proccesor: AMD Athlon X2 260
RAM: 4G
HDD: 80GB
Chipset: NVIDIA-Geforce 7025/nForce 630a
That computer has only one OS, due that I could not get the desktop enviorment back, had to reinstall the OS.
I have to say that I left 15 min the very first patch to run, and due that it did not finish, typed CTRL-C, then I wrote the remaining commands (according to my routes) just hoping for it to work, it did not. Hahaha.
These are some photos I took.
I'm gonna try to do this on Linux Mint 20.1 XFCE. I'll tell if worked or not.
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2022-04-04 at 2.13.51 PM 3.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-04-04 at 2.13.51 PM 2.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-04-04 at 2.13.51 PM 1.jpeg
burrezo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by burrezo »

jescg wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:26 pm On Linux Mint 20.3 XFCE
I tried to install the patches, did every step of the tutorial (excep for the git part, having those files near the HDD's root made it easier for me), but when getting into applying the patches, with the first one, my terminal would just freeze much time, I think that it should not happen... don't know why it happened. Does it take too long to apply every one of the patches?
No, patching takes less than a second per patch, remember to respect the path when patching (I think you mistake is here).

(In Spanish: No, parchear tarda menos de un segundo por parche, recuerda respetar las rutas cuando apliques los parches [creo que tu error está aquí]).
jescg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jescg »

Ahhh, genial, hablamos español. ^^
Bueno, de hecho pues me puse en el directorio resultado de la extracción del .run del driver de NVIDIA, entonces primero había hecho una carpeta auxiliar "abc" en la raíz, para no tener que escribir mucho al momento de meter el comando de patch y nada de nada, revisé ese detalle varias veces.
Y de hecho, para evitar cualquier tipo de raro bug de directorios, copié los parches en el directorio del driver y traté de aplicarlos (que es la captura con todos los CTRL-C)... entonces no sé qué es lo que podría estar pasando; quizá y sea el hecho de haberlo hecho en Linux Mint 20.3, instalaré la versión 20.1 y probaré una vez más, si eso no funciona, entonces usaré una gráfica AMD algo antigua. ^^
¡Gracias por el detalle! :D

Editado: sí que probé los comandos con las direcciones correctas de la carpeta en parche, ej: carpeta extraída del .run del driver es Escritorio, o sea ~Escritorio/NVIDIA-$:
Los parches: /abc/NVIDIA-Linux...137/patches-master/patches/ | ya desde allí hice los comandos, y según el tutorial, los comandos son aplicados al lugar donde está la carpeta que se extrajo del driver con el comando: patch -p1 /ruta-hasta-donde-está-la-carpeta-de-drivers/0001.patch
Quizá y sea algo con la versión 20.3, pero lo dudo, ya que es el mismo kernel 5.4.0-generic con el que se cuenta con dicha versión del SO.

Folks, I am just trying to see what when wrong at applying the patches, I hope that this will work and then share it with you in case the very same happens to any of you.
burrezo
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Nvidia legacy driver 304.137 working with Linux Mint 20.3 x64 xfce

Post by burrezo »

Guide updated!, jescg, hay cambios respecto a la ruta de los parches!!
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Moderator note: All main forum posts (such as the ones in this topic) are required to be in English. There is a separate section of the forum for topics/posts in other languages. Please make sure to include the English translation of your post.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
jescg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jescg »

There were changes applied to the guide, folks. It did not work out for me with Linux Mint 20.3 XFCE... I had some issues when applying the patches for the drivers with the directories, seems like they have been already fixed. Have a nice morning, afternoon or night according to when you all get to see this. :D
Once again, I'll try the new guide, hope it works and thanks for the update, dude!

Muchas gracias por tu ayuda, hermano. nwn
AadikarBhdandari
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AadikarBhdandari »

I am back again, to test if this driver works on Cinnamon 20.3.

It works well, HOWEVER, update breaks it. By break i mean, it gives "Cinnamon running in fallback mode"

If you downgrade xorg only, it will give "video hardware acceleration not running.. something something pop-up".

In that case, reinstalling driver works. But there is one particular update which needs to be kept on hold, i figured.
Someone suggest how to keep this on hold.

libvdpau
video Decode and presentation API for Unix (libraries)
1.3-1ubuntu2

Before anyone asks, i kept all the packages on hold as specified on tutorial, but this one is still showing up in update list. :D

update update, not sure what changed, but copy pasting same line including package hold for 5 items into terminal and running it fixed the issue. By issue, i mean update manager no longer shows that package which i manually unticked. Now, cinnamon 20.3 is on full swing, running with all the updates, latest 5.4x kernel, with no issues. Thanks.
beerninja
Level 1
Level 1

Post by beerninja »

Xfce 20.3 here, works great!! I hit a snag on first try where I couldn't find the xfwm4.xml file in the terminal so I did a fresh install and edited that file with the GUI before I went full on root terminal.

regarding webGL, does not having it affect the playback of videos like youtube or twitch? Is webGL used on those sites?

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”