Nvidia prime update gpu problems

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zimudec
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Nvidia prime update gpu problems

Post by zimudec »

roblm wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:38 am Same logs. You didn't mention any freezing happening in your first post. If you can't get to the desktop, then press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to enter tty1 and enter the logs there.
Yes I mentioned it in this thread. It was one of the consequences of the update. Freezes just when starting the graphical interface and when trying to shut down the computer. It is totally frozen, you cannot even enter tty1.

roblm wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:38 amYes.
I currently have the system restored to the previous version via timeshift, before updating. I'm going to wait for the nvidia-prime 8.15.3 ~ 0.20.10.1 package on linux mint 20.0 to be officially released.

If the problem continues after updating at that time, I will collect all the logs and command results mentioned here.
zimudec
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zimudec »

Last edited by zimudec on Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
zimudec
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zimudec »

New updates for nvidia-prime and nvidia-settings officially appeared, so I made a restore point and did an update to the latest version.

After updating, all the initially mentioned problems returned. As soon as I restarted, it froze. I forced it off and restarted, and it froze again.

I attach images of the places where I was frozen the first and second time.

After the third attempt to start and I was able to get in, here are the results of the commands:
roblm wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:15 pm I think a fresh installation of Mint 20.1 is best. If you want to try troubleshooting the problem further, then post the output of these commands:

Code: Select all

lspci -nnk | grep -EA3 "3D|VGA"   			
ls /lib/modprobe.d/		
dpkg -l | grep -i nvidia
mokutil --sb-state
ls /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/
grep nvidia /lib/udev/rules.d/*
nvidia-smi
Use these commands to upload the Xorg.0.log & jouranlctl log to terminal.com pastebin:

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | nc termbin.com 9999 
journalctl -b | nc termbin.com 9999

$ lspci -nnk | grep -EA3 "3D|VGA"
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation UHD Graphics [8086:9bc4] (rev 05)
	Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:3fa2]
	Kernel driver in use: i915
	Kernel modules: i915
--
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation Device [10de:1f99] (rev a1)
	Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:3fc4]
	Kernel driver in use: nvidia
	Kernel modules: nvidiafb, nouveau, nvidia_drm, nvidia

$ ls /lib/modprobe.d/
aliases.conf
blacklist_linux_5.4.0-26-generic.conf
blacklist_linux_5.4.0-60-generic.conf
blacklist_linux_5.4.0-65-generic.conf
blacklist_linux_5.4.0-66-generic.conf
blacklist_linux-hwe-5.8_5.8.0-34-generic.conf
blacklist_linux-hwe-5.8_5.8.0-36-generic.conf
blacklist_linux-hwe-5.8_5.8.0-43-generic.conf
blacklist_linux-hwe-5.8_5.8.0-44-generic.conf
fbdev-blacklist.conf
nvidia-graphics-drivers.conf
nvidia-kms.conf
nvidia-runtimepm.conf
systemd.conf

$ dpkg -l | grep -i nvidia
ii  libnvidia-cfg1-460:amd64                   460.39-0ubuntu0.20.04.1               amd64        NVIDIA binary OpenGL/GLX configuration library
ii  libnvidia-common-450                       450.102.04-0ubuntu0.20.04.1           all          Shared files used by the NVIDIA libraries
ii  libnvidia-common-460                       460.39-0ubuntu0.20.04.1               all          Shared files used by the NVIDIA libraries
rc  libnvidia-compute-450:amd64                450.102.04-0ubuntu0.20.04.1           amd64        NVIDIA libcompute package
rc  libnvidia-compute-455:amd64                455.45.01-0ubuntu0.20.04.1            amd64        NVIDIA libcompute package
ii  libnvidia-compute-460:amd64                460.39-0ubuntu0.20.04.1               amd64        NVIDIA libcompute package
ii  libnvidia-compute-460:i386                 460.39-0ubuntu0.20.04.1               i386         NVIDIA libcompute package
ii  libnvidia-decode-460:amd64                 460.39-0ubuntu0.20.04.1               amd64        NVIDIA Video Decoding runtime libraries
ii  libnvidia-decode-460:i386                  460.39-0ubuntu0.20.04.1               i386         NVIDIA Video Decoding runtime libraries
ii  libnvidia-encode-460:amd64                 460.39-0ubuntu0.20.04.1               amd64        NVENC Video Encoding runtime library
ii  libnvidia-encode-460:i386                  460.39-0ubuntu0.20.04.1               i386         NVENC Video Encoding runtime library
ii  libnvidia-extra-460:amd64                  460.39-0ubuntu0.20.04.1               amd64        Extra libraries for the NVIDIA driver
ii  libnvidia-fbc1-460:amd64                   460.39-0ubuntu0.20.04.1               amd64        NVIDIA OpenGL-based Framebuffer Capture runtime library
ii  libnvidia-fbc1-460:i386                    460.39-0ubuntu0.20.04.1               i386         NVIDIA OpenGL-based Framebuffer Capture runtime library
ii  libnvidia-gl-460:amd64                     460.39-0ubuntu0.20.04.1               amd64        NVIDIA OpenGL/GLX/EGL/GLES GLVND libraries and Vulkan ICD
ii  libnvidia-gl-460:i386                      460.39-0ubuntu0.20.04.1               i386         NVIDIA OpenGL/GLX/EGL/GLES GLVND libraries and Vulkan ICD
ii  libnvidia-ifr1-460:amd64                   460.39-0ubuntu0.20.04.1               amd64        NVIDIA OpenGL-based Inband Frame Readback runtime library
ii  libnvidia-ifr1-460:i386                    460.39-0ubuntu0.20.04.1               i386         NVIDIA OpenGL-based Inband Frame Readback runtime library
rc  nvidia-compute-utils-450                   450.102.04-0ubuntu0.20.04.1           amd64        NVIDIA compute utilities
rc  nvidia-compute-utils-455                   455.45.01-0ubuntu0.20.04.1            amd64        NVIDIA compute utilities
ii  nvidia-compute-utils-460                   460.39-0ubuntu0.20.04.1               amd64        NVIDIA compute utilities
rc  nvidia-dkms-450                            450.102.04-0ubuntu0.20.04.1           amd64        NVIDIA DKMS package
rc  nvidia-dkms-455                            455.45.01-0ubuntu0.20.04.1            amd64        NVIDIA DKMS package
ii  nvidia-dkms-460                            460.39-0ubuntu0.20.04.1               amd64        NVIDIA DKMS package
ii  nvidia-driver-460                          460.39-0ubuntu0.20.04.1               amd64        NVIDIA driver metapackage
rc  nvidia-kernel-common-450                   450.102.04-0ubuntu0.20.04.1           amd64        Shared files used with the kernel module
rc  nvidia-kernel-common-455                   455.45.01-0ubuntu0.20.04.1            amd64        Shared files used with the kernel module
ii  nvidia-kernel-common-460                   460.39-0ubuntu0.20.04.1               amd64        Shared files used with the kernel module
ii  nvidia-kernel-source-460                   460.39-0ubuntu0.20.04.1               amd64        NVIDIA kernel source package
ii  nvidia-prime                               0.8.16~0.20.04.1                      all          Tools to enable NVIDIA's Prime
ii  nvidia-prime-applet                        1.2.6                                 all          An applet for NVIDIA Prime
ii  nvidia-settings                            460.39-0ubuntu0.20.04.1               amd64        Tool for configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver
ii  nvidia-utils-460                           460.39-0ubuntu0.20.04.1               amd64        NVIDIA driver support binaries
ii  screen-resolution-extra                    0.18build1                            all          Extension for the nvidia-settings control panel
ii  xserver-xorg-video-nvidia-460              460.39-0ubuntu0.20.04.1               amd64        NVIDIA binary Xorg driver

$ mokutil --sb-state
SecureBoot disabled

$ ls /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/
10-amdgpu.conf  10-quirks.conf  11-nvidia-offload.conf  70-wacom.conf
10-nvidia.conf  10-radeon.conf  40-libinput.conf

$ grep nvidia /lib/udev/rules.d/*
/lib/udev/rules.d/71-nvidia.rules:SUBSYSTEM=="pci", ATTRS{vendor}=="0x10de", DRIVERS=="nvidia", TAG+="seat", TAG+="master-of-seat"
/lib/udev/rules.d/71-nvidia.rules:# Start and stop nvidia-persistenced on power on and power off
/lib/udev/rules.d/71-nvidia.rules:ACTION=="add", DEVPATH=="/bus/pci/drivers/nvidia", TAG+="systemd", ENV{SYSTEMD_WANTS}="nvidia-persistenced.service"
/lib/udev/rules.d/71-nvidia.rules:# Load and unload nvidia-modeset module
/lib/udev/rules.d/71-nvidia.rules:ACTION=="add", DEVPATH=="/bus/pci/drivers/nvidia", RUN+="/sbin/modprobe nvidia-modeset"
/lib/udev/rules.d/71-nvidia.rules:ACTION=="remove", DEVPATH=="/bus/pci/drivers/nvidia", RUN+="/sbin/modprobe -r nvidia-modeset"
/lib/udev/rules.d/71-nvidia.rules:# Load and unload nvidia-drm module
/lib/udev/rules.d/71-nvidia.rules:ACTION=="add", DEVPATH=="/bus/pci/drivers/nvidia", RUN+="/sbin/modprobe nvidia-drm"
/lib/udev/rules.d/71-nvidia.rules:ACTION=="remove", DEVPATH=="/bus/pci/drivers/nvidia", RUN+="/sbin/modprobe -r nvidia-drm"
/lib/udev/rules.d/71-nvidia.rules:# Load and unload nvidia-uvm module
/lib/udev/rules.d/71-nvidia.rules:ACTION=="add", DEVPATH=="/bus/pci/drivers/nvidia", RUN+="/sbin/modprobe nvidia-uvm"
/lib/udev/rules.d/71-nvidia.rules:ACTION=="remove", DEVPATH=="/bus/pci/drivers/nvidia", RUN+="/sbin/modprobe -r nvidia-uvm"
/lib/udev/rules.d/71-nvidia.rules:# This will create the device nvidia device nodes
/lib/udev/rules.d/71-nvidia.rules:ACTION=="add", DEVPATH=="/bus/pci/drivers/nvidia", RUN+="/sbin/ub-device-create"
/lib/udev/rules.d/71-nvidia.rules:# Create the device node for the nvidia-uvm module
/lib/udev/rules.d/71-nvidia.rules:ACTION=="add", DEVPATH=="/module/nvidia_uvm", SUBSYSTEM=="module", RUN+="/sbin/ub-device-create"
/lib/udev/rules.d/71-u-d-c-gpu-detection.rules:ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEMS=="pci", DRIVERS=="nvidia", RUN+="/bin/touch /run/u-d-c-nvidia-was-loaded"

$ nvidia-smi
Sun Mar 14 13:46:34 2021       
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 460.39       Driver Version: 460.39       CUDA Version: 11.2     |
|-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| GPU  Name        Persistence-M| Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan  Temp  Perf  Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
|                               |                      |               MIG M. |
|===============================+======================+======================|
|   0  GeForce GTX 1650    Off  | 00000000:01:00.0 Off |                  N/A |
| N/A   38C    P3     5W /  N/A |      5MiB /  3911MiB |      0%      Default |
|                               |                      |                  N/A |
+-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

| Processes:                                                                  |
|  GPU   GI   CI        PID   Type   Process name                  GPU Memory |
|        ID   ID                                                   Usage      |
|=============================================================================|
|    0   N/A  N/A      1041      G   /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg                  4MiB |
roblm wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:15 pm I think a fresh installation of Mint 20.1 is best. If you want to try troubleshooting the problem further, then post the output of these commands:

lspci -nnk | grep -EA3 "3D|VGA"   			
ls /lib/modprobe.d/		
dpkg -l | grep -i nvidia
mokutil --sb-state
ls /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/
grep nvidia /lib/udev/rules.d/*
nvidia-smi
Use these commands to upload the Xorg.0.log & jouranlctl log to terminal.com pastebin:

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | nc termbin.com 9999 
journalctl -b | nc termbin.com 9999

https://termbin.com/korg

https://termbin.com/d9c3
I don't know if these logs consider the freezes that occurred to me before finally being able to enter linux mint. Now I restored to the previous point.
Attachments
first.jpg
second.jpg
zimudec
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zimudec »

I also attach today's journalctl log, since I turned on, updated, restarted, errors occurred, entered and generated the logs here:

https://termbin.com/6aom
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

zimudec wrote: New updates for nvidia-prime and nvidia-settings officially appeared, so I made a restore point and did an update to the latest version.

After updating, all the initially mentioned problems returned. As soon as I restarted, it froze. I forced it off and restarted, and it froze again.
The newest nvidia-settings package update also appears to by buggy, at least for Optimus-based laptops. After installing it and rebooting, I also got a screen freeze after the grub boot menu selection, and got the same freeze trying to enter Recovery mode to make any changes. Here is the message I saw in this bad cell phone pic:

nvidia-settings bug.jpg

I ran a live session using the Mint installation USB to chroot into the broken installation. After removing nvidia-settings, switching to the Intel GPU, and updating the initramfs, I was able to boot without the freeze. I installed an older version of nvidia-settings using Synaptic.
zimudec
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zimudec »

roblm wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:08 pm
zimudec wrote: New updates for nvidia-prime and nvidia-settings officially appeared, so I made a restore point and did an update to the latest version.

The newest nvidia-settings package update also appears to by buggy, at least for Optimus-based laptops. After installing it and rebooting, I also got a screen freeze after the grub boot menu selection, and got the same freeze trying to enter Recovery mode to make any changes. Here is the message I saw in this bad cell phone pic:

nvidia-settings bug.jpg

I ran a live session using the Mint installation USB to chroot into the broken installation. After removing nvidia-settings, switching to the Intel GPU, and updating the initramfs, I was able to boot without the freeze. I installed an older version of nvidia-settings using Synaptic.
At least I had no problem updating nvidia-settings.

In fact, I also updated nvidia-prime to the latest version and have had no problems. But ubuntu-drivers-common I have it in the letter list, since the latest version of that package is the one that gives problems with freezes and deactivations of the nvidia gpu.

I also have in blacklist the updates of grub2 packages, since the freezes when selecting the OS in the grub, I think it may be due to the latest version of this. I don't think nvidia ubuntu-drivers-common is the cause here, although I don't rule it out as it freezes when clicking on the OS grub options.

This is the official list of ubuntu-drivers-common errors?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs ... id&start=0

Will my problem be related to one of the list?
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

Unlike your system, I was able to update the nvidia-prime and ubuntu-drivers-common packages without any freezing problem, but after doing those udpdates, the freezing occurred after updating nvidia-settings.

I looked over all the info you posted and did not find any obvious problem, so some incompatibility with your particular hardware may be at fault.

All those ubuntu-drivers-common bug reports in your link appear to be older versions than the one that started your problem.
zimudec
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zimudec »

roblm wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:19 pm Unlike your system, I was able to update the nvidia-prime and ubuntu-drivers-common packages without any freezing problem, but after doing those udpdates, the freezing occurred after updating nvidia-settings.

I looked over all the info you posted and did not find any obvious problem, so some incompatibility with your particular hardware may be at fault.

All those ubuntu-drivers-common bug reports in your link appear to be older versions than the one that started your problem.
I understand, they are different problems.

In my case, with the logs that I delivered previously, can the possible cause be found?
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

You would have to upload the Xorg.0.log and dmesg logs in tty1 or Recovery Mode after the freezing occurs after particular updates, but that’s only for freezing at the desktop or later in the startup process. If the freezing is similar to what I got, which is immediately upon restart, then you won’t be able to enter tty1 or Recovery Mode.

As a last resort, you could try testing kernel parameters which may help with hardware compatibility issues.

Use this command to open the grub file for editing: xed admin:///etc/default/grub
Change this line:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
To this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi=! \"acpi_osi=Windows 2009\""
Then update grub and reboot: sudo update-grub

Then you would have to do the package updates.

If that parameter doesn’t work, the try changing 2009 to 2015.

Or use this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash rcutree.rcu_idle_gp_delay=1 acpi_osi=! \"acpi_osi=Windows 2009\""
Other options are to check for a BIOS/UEFI update, test other Nvidia drivers and kernels newer than 5.8.
zimudec
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zimudec »

roblm wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:45 am If the freezing is similar to what I got, which is immediately upon restart, then you won’t be able to enter tty1 or Recovery Mode.
Of course. It freezes me at various points before starting mint. It freezes me in a way that not even the keyboard responds. I must forcibly shut down the computer.

roblm wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:45 am Use this command to open the grub file for editing: xed admin:///etc/default/grub
Change this line:
CODE: SELECT ALL

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
To this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi=! \"acpi_osi=Windows 2009\""
Then update grub and reboot: sudo update-grub

Then you would have to do the package updates.

If that parameter doesn’t work, the try changing 2009 to 2015.

Or use this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash rcutree.rcu_idle_gp_delay=1 acpi_osi=! \"acpi_osi=Windows 2009\""
What is "acpi_osi" for? If I do, there may be a problem where I can't get back into linux and have to reinstall everything again?
roblm wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:45 am Other options are to check for a BIOS/UEFI update, test other Nvidia drivers and kernels newer than 5.8.
In the linux mint update application, kernel 5.8 appears as the latest version. How can I safely update to a version more current than 5.8 and have it detect my 2 gpu - (intel / nvidia). I ask about dkms or some conflict with the mint updater system.
zimudec
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zimudec »

Tried updating all packages, even ubuntu-drivers-common to version 1.9, then mint 20.2.

Testing, I saw that it no longer freezes on boot, but there are some annoying problems:
  • When waiting a while (it can be 1 min), and then opening nvidia configuration from prime applet, it does not open immediately. It takes a few seconds, and then in the "PowerMizer" section, "Performance Level" appears on level 3 for a few seconds, that is, overclock is applied.
  • When I wait 1 minute, and open the screen settings (ctrl + alt + P), it does not open immediately. It takes a few seconds to open.
  • When starting a game with nvidia-optimus-offload-glx, there are times that it uses the integrated intel GPU instead of the dedicated nvidia (I noticed this because of the poor performance).
That is, apparently the system has trouble turning on the nvidia gpu on several occasions. Even in many it does not manage to turn it on, and ends up using the integrated gpu.

I tried downgrading ubuntu-drivers-common to 1.8.1 from synaptic package manager, rebooted, but problem persists. Apparently the problem may no longer be just ubuntu-drivers-common. I do not know the source of the problem currently.
zimudec
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zimudec »

I did a test, and the gpu does not seem to deactivate. That problem must have been a bug in a specific version of proton with a game.

Regarding the other problem, I started the command nvidia-smi dmon, and it gives me the following:

$ nvidia-smi dmon
# gpu   pwr gtemp mtemp    sm   mem   enc   dec  mclk  pclk
# Idx     W     C     C     %     %     %     %   MHz   MHz
    0     6    39     -     0     0     0     0  6000  1380
    0    14    40     -     0     0     0     0  6000  1380
    0     4    40     -     0     0     0     0   405   360
    0     2    39     -     0     0     0     0   405   360
    0     2    39     -     0     0     0     0   405   300
    0     1    39     -     0     0     0     0   405   300
    0     1    39     -     0     0     0     0   405   300
There you can see that after waiting between 30 and 60 seconds, I executed the command, it took a few seconds and you can see that the gpu started doing an automatic overclock for a few seconds, and then it returned to normal.

This seems to be a symptom of something else. For now I have no major problem. I will do more tests.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”