Installing correct NVIDIA drivers on linux mint

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rabitu171
Level 1
Level 1

Installing correct NVIDIA drivers on linux mint

Post by rabitu171 »

hi, I just installed Linux Mint on my old laptop and I'm trying to install the graphics driver through the driver manager, problem is that after I installed the driver and restarted the laptop, I booted to Linux but every time I login, screen would just go black and briefly show the nvidia logo and come back to the login screen again. And after many attempts to "fix" the problem, I just reinstalled linux again. I need help actually installing the correct graphics driver on my geforce 8400m GS.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Installing correct NVIDIA drivers on linux mint

Post by motoryzen »

rabitu171 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:28 pm hi, I just installed Linux Mint on my old laptop and I'm trying to install the graphics driver through the driver manager, problem is that after I installed the driver and restarted the laptop, I booted to Linux but every time I login, screen would just go black and briefly show the nvidia logo and come back to the login screen again. And after many attempts to "fix" the problem, I just reinstalled linux again. I need help actually installing the correct graphics driver on my geforce 8400m GS.
Before you try installing the driver again. We need more info.

1st. What driver version or versions have you tried?

2nd..regardless...If you are now able to, post the result of inxi -Fxxxrz from a terminal window. Click that </> button ..fifth from the left just about the message window and then copy those results and paste them inside it . It will show up as Paste the results in between the two

Code: Select all

's so we know what we're working with under the hood to start with.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
rabitu171
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rabitu171 »

i installed the nvidia-340.108-0ubuntu5.20.04.1 driver that the driver manager recommended
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

You need to post the information that was previously requested. Use this command in the Terminal: inxi -Fxxxrz

In the Menu at the top, select Edit > Select All and then Edit > Copy

Open the Mint Forum reply window and select </> at the top. Press Ctrl+V to paste the copied lines into a code display window, which is more compact, easier to read and preserves the formatting.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”