Mint monitor panel, crash when connecting a HDMI cable [SOLVED]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
luca72
Level 2
Level 2

Mint monitor panel, crash when connecting a HDMI cable [SOLVED]

Post by luca72 »

I have a HP i7 8GB RAM laptop, with two partitions, a win10 and the other Linux Mint 20.1 (default)
Use the laptop to watch movies on TV SONY BRAVIA 55 X8505
When I use Win10 everything is OK, when I connect the HDMI cable, the laptop monitor turns off, and switch to TV.
instead with mint, apart from that I have to put mirror mode, otherwise it becomes an extension to the right, when I connect the HDMI cable, the Linux control panel of the monitor is crashed, and the CPU fan turns strong, when it detaches the HDMI cable, the Control panel Returns working.
The Linux system is very updated, and I tried all the drivers proposed in the Update panel.
if someone can help me I would be eternally grateful

Code: Select all

System:
  Kernel: 5.8.0-50-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: N/A 
  Desktop: Cinnamon 4.8.6 wm: muffin 4.8.1 dm: LightDM 1.30.0 
  Distro: Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal 
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: HP product: HP Laptop 15-dw0xxx 
  v: Type1ProductConfigId serial: <filter> Chassis: type: 10 
  serial: <filter> 
  Mobo: HP model: 85F0 v: 36.41 serial: <filter> UEFI: Insyde v: F.42 
  date: 02/05/2021 
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT1 charge: 10.7 Wh condition: 11.9/41.0 Wh (29%) volts: 13.0/11.4 
  model: Hewlett-Packard PABAS0241231 type: Li-ion serial: <filter> 
CPU:
  Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-8565U bits: 64 type: MT MCP 
  arch: Kaby Lake rev: B L2 cache: 8192 KiB 
  flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx 
  bogomips: 31999 
  Speed: 700 MHz min/max: 400/4600 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 700 2: 700 
  3: 700 4: 700 5: 700 6: 700 7: 700 8: 700 
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel UHD Graphics 620 vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: i915 
  v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 chip ID: 8086:3ea0 
  Device-2: NVIDIA GM108M [GeForce MX130] driver: nvidia v: 460.56 
  bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 10de:174d 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: modesetting,nvidia 
  unloaded: fbdev,nouveau,vesa tty: N/A 
  OpenGL: renderer: GeForce MX130/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 460.56 
  direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel Cannon Point-LP High Definition Audio 
  vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1f.3 
  chip ID: 8086:9dc8 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.8.0-50-generic 
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet 
  vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: r8169 v: kernel port: 4000 bus ID: 02:00.0 
  chip ID: 10ec:8168 
  IF: eno1 state: down mac: <filter> 
  Device-2: Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter 
  vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: rtl8821ce v: v5.5.2.1_35598.20191029 
  port: 3000 bus ID: 03:00.0 chip ID: 10ec:c821 
  IF: wlo1 state: up mac: <filter> 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 476.94 GiB used: 91.97 GiB (19.3%) 
  ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Western Digital 
  model: PC SN520 SDAPNUW-512G-1006 size: 476.94 GiB speed: 15.8 Gb/s 
  lanes: 2 serial: <filter> rev: 20110006 scheme: GPT 
RAID:
  Hardware-1: Intel 82801 Mobile SATA Controller [RAID mode] driver: ahci 
  v: 3.0 port: 6060 bus ID: 00:17.0 chip ID: 8086.282a rev: 30 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 169.88 GiB used: 91.92 GiB (54.1%) fs: ext4 
  dev: /dev/nvme0n1p5 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 45.0 C mobo: 29.8 C gpu: nvidia temp: 39 C 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Repos:
  No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list 
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mkusb-ppa-focal.list 
  1: deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/mkusb/ppa/ubuntu focal main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list 
  1: deb http://packages.linuxmint.com ulyssa main upstream import backport #id:linuxmint_main
  2: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal main restricted universe multiverse
  3: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates main restricted universe multiverse
  4: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-backports main restricted universe multiverse
  5: deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ focal-security main restricted universe multiverse
  6: deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ focal partner
Info:
  Processes: 248 Uptime: 11m Memory: 7.66 GiB used: 2.85 GiB (37.1%) 
  Init: systemd v: 245 runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 9.3.0 alt: 9 Shell: bash 
  v: 5.0.17 running in: gnome-terminal inxi: 3.0.38
good morning to all, I am a novel of Linux, I have this problem
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Mint monitor panel, crash when connecting a HDMI cable

Post by SMG »

Welcome to the forum, luca72.

Please give us information about your install by entering this command in a terminal: inxi -Fxxxrz
Click </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply and then place your cursor between the code markers and paste the results of the command between the code markers [code]Results[/code]. This will let us know how Mint sees your hardware.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
luca72
Level 2
Level 2

Post by luca72 »

SMG wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:37 pm Welcome to the forum, luca72.

Please give us information about your install by entering this command in a terminal: inxi -Fxxxrz
Click </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply and then place your cursor between the code markers and paste the results of the command between the code markers [code]Results[/code]. This will let us know how Mint sees your hardware.
Thank you, I modified the post.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Your computer has dual graphics. Not all computers with dual graphics are set up to be able to have either graphics driver work both the laptop display and external displays. Often these types of laptops have Intel running the laptop display and Nvidia running the HMDI port. I checked the Interactive BIOS simulator: HP Laptop 15-dw0xxx and there is no options to change which graphics are used. Sometimes one can set to just have Nvidia used while the other setting lets one switch between Nvidia and Intel. Your inxi information indicates your system is currently rendering with Nvidia.

Graphics:
luca72 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:58 pminstead with mint, apart from that I have to put mirror mode, otherwise it becomes an extension to the right, when I connect the HDMI cable, the Linux control panel of the monitor is crashed, and the CPU fan turns strong, when it detaches the HDMI cable, the Control panel Returns working.
I am not sure I understand the sequence of events listed here.

Please let me know if this is correct:
--You are booting with just the laptop monitor.
--Then you attach the HDMI cable which is connect to the TV. You now have both screens with displays. The TV screen is extended to the right of the laptop screen.
--Then you switch to mirror mode and the Displays app crashes. Does that mean you get an error message about the Displays app? Do you still have images on both screens?
--Then you remove the HDMI cable and you see the Displays app on the laptop. Is the mode still mirror?

Are you using any HiDPI fractional scaling settings for either the laptop screen or the television?
luca72
Level 2
Level 2

Post by luca72 »

SMG wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:05 pm Your computer has dual graphics. Not all computers with dual graphics are set up to be able to have either graphics driver work both the laptop display and external displays. Often these types of laptops have Intel running the laptop display and Nvidia running the HMDI port. I checked the Interactive BIOS simulator: HP Laptop 15-dw0xxx and there is no options to change which graphics are used. Sometimes one can set to just have Nvidia used while the other setting lets one switch between Nvidia and Intel. Your inxi information indicates your system is currently rendering with Nvidia.

Graphics:
luca72 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:58 pminstead with mint, apart from that I have to put mirror mode, otherwise it becomes an extension to the right, when I connect the HDMI cable, the Linux control panel of the monitor is crashed, and the CPU fan turns strong, when it detaches the HDMI cable, the Control panel Returns working.
I am not sure I understand the sequence of events listed here.

Please let me know if this is correct:
--You are booting with just the laptop monitor.
--Then you attach the HDMI cable which is connect to the TV. You now have both screens with displays. The TV screen is extended to the right of the laptop screen.
--Then you switch to mirror mode and the Displays app crashes. Does that mean you get an error message about the Displays app? Do you still have images on both screens?
--Then you remove the HDMI cable and you see the Displays app on the laptop. Is the mode still mirror?

Are you using any HiDPI fractional scaling settings for either the laptop screen or the television?
Hi, in Windows 10 you can't, but with Linux I can choose between Intel / Nvidia / Nvidia on Demand, however the problem does it, and it is the same with both video cards.
Regarding the sequence I did first to make a short video (2.10min) if you want to see it, so you see the problem directly, without the danger of misunderstanding due to the translator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w5CICe1nqc
the panel goes into the freeze, and it only unlocks when you disconnect HDMI, if I put a mirror mode (once I have succeeded) the CPU fan goes fully, and the mouse pointer goes to hiccups

I am a novel, but I have been looking at the photocopiers and their controller logs for 35 years, the file I see a word "unloaded", with file names (?), will be missing those?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

luca72 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:49 pmI am a novel, but I have been looking at the photocopiers and their controller logs for 35 years, the file I see a word "unloaded", with file names (?), will be missing those?
No, you are not missing those. They loaded and then the system said, "Let's use the better drivers and not use the older ones which do not have good performance." The ones you want loaded, modesetting for Intel and nvidia for Nvidia, are loaded.

I will take a look at the video and see if any ideas come to mind as to what might be happening.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

luca72 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:49 pmRegarding the sequence I did first to make a short video (2.10min) if you want to see it, so you see the problem directly, without the danger of misunderstanding due to the translator
the panel goes into the freeze, and it only unlocks when you disconnect HDMI, if I put a mirror mode (once I have succeeded) the CPU fan goes fully, and the mouse pointer goes to hiccups
Normally, when one plugs in a second screen, that screen shows up on the Displays app. While I did see the Mint desktop come up on the TV (and it registered as 1080p), I did not notice the second screen showing up in the Displays app. Both before and after you plugged in the HDMI, only the eDP1-1 (laptop screen) was on the Display app. I did notice the Displays app became unresponsive.

Do you have "Fast Boot" turned on in Windows 10? I noticed during Mint's boot cycle that the HP logo came up several times in between seeing the Mint logo on the screen. That seemed unusual to me. Normally, I am used to see the HP logo only before grub and then once the operating system begins booting, only the Mint logo is seen.

Do you notice a difference if you have the TV attached to the laptop before you boot Mint? I would not think it should make a difference, but I do not have any ideas right now what might be happening.

Maybe someone else will have some ideas.
luca72
Level 2
Level 2

Post by luca72 »

SMG wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:46 pm
luca72 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:49 pmRegarding the sequence I did first to make a short video (2.10min) if you want to see it, so you see the problem directly, without the danger of misunderstanding due to the translator
Normally, when one plugs in a second screen, that screen shows up on the Displays app. While I did see the Mint desktop come up on the TV (and it registered as 1080p), I did not notice the second screen showing up in the Displays app. Both before and after you plugged in the HDMI, only the eDP1-1 (laptop screen) was on the Display app. I did notice the Displays app became unresponsive.

Do you have "Fast Boot" turned on in Windows 10? I noticed during Mint's boot cycle that the HP logo came up several times in between seeing the Mint logo on the screen. That seemed unusual to me. Normally, I am used to see the HP logo only before grub and then once the operating system begins booting, only the Mint logo is seen.

Do you notice a difference if you have the TV attached to the laptop before you boot Mint? I would not think it should make a difference, but I do not have any ideas right now what might be happening.

Maybe someone else will have some ideas.
Hi, I managed to solve the problem.
I took another cable I had there, and connected to another HDMI input, and now everything works.
First I was connected to HDMI 2 MHL, I now connected it to HDMI 1 ARC, (there are 4 hdmi ports, of which 2 MHL) I don't know what it means, but it seems that Linux does not like that input (?) Not I think it's the cable, with Windows 10 works
Thanks for your cooperation, greetings
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

luca72 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:38 pmFirst I was connected to HDMI 2 MHL, I now connected it to HDMI 1 ARC, (there are 4 hdmi ports, of which 2 MHL) I don't know what it means, but it seems that Linux does not like that input (?)
I found this article What does HDMI STB, HDMI DVI, HDMI MHL, HDMI ARC mean? which indicates:

"HDMI MHL = The HDMI in4 (MHL-Mobile High-Definition Link ) port is a high-definition connection from a cell phone, used to connect to a TV and a smartphone monitor. It is designed to output video and photos directly from your smartphone to your TV.

HDMI ARC = HDMI port with HDMI in3 reverse audio channel (ARC). This is a standard HDMI port of one of the standards. A feature of HDMI (ARC) is the ability to transmit sound from a TV via an HDMI cable."

I do not completely understand the differences, but I am glad to hear it is now working for you.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”