Mint 20.1 - Where are the NVIDIA 450 Drivers?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Druthers
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 20.1 - Where are the NVIDIA 450 Drivers?

Post by Druthers »

Hello,

I was hapilly running the Nividia 450 proprietary drivers Wednesday (6/2/2021) and on Thursday they were spontaneously replaced with the 460 series. Pretty sure I ran all my updates like a good person and did not notice the evil intent to replace my drivers. Problem is that there are some pretty serious regressions introduced in the 460 and 465 series of Nvidia drivers. They are game breaking regressions!

Can anyone please tell my why I can no longer choose the 450 series driver using either the main repo or the proprietary display driver repo? I can manually type in "sudo ubuntu-drivers list" and see the 450 driver. Then typing in "sudo ubuntu-drivers install nvidia-driver-450" will run but you get some bizzare message about how the 460 driver base will override the 450 driver base. This also happens if you try to use the APT commands for the same.

The thing that really gets me is that the 450 series is happily represented in the PPA and recently updated along with a tonne of other driver versions:

nvidia-graphics-drivers-450 450.119.03-0ubuntu1 Alberto Milone (2021-05-02)
nvidia-graphics-drivers-450 450.119.03-0ubuntu0.20.10.1 Alberto Milone (2021-05-02)
nvidia-graphics-drivers-450 450.119.03-0ubuntu0.20.04.1 Alberto Milone (2021-05-02)
nvidia-graphics-drivers-450 450.119.03-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 Alberto Milone (2021-05-02)

So far Linux Mint has been my go to distro for gaming, recommend it to everyone that will listen, but if I can't get the drivers that a game needs...

Is Linux Mint blocking drivers on purpose? If so, why? If so, how do I undo this?

Any help getting back to the 450 drivers would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Nis
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 20.1 - Where are the NVIDIA 450 Drivers?

Post by Nis »

Hello,

Same question for me.

Since yesterday and the update of the nVidia drivers from 450 to 460:
- I'm not able to see the 450 anymore in the driver manager. Because of that, I though I might be able to see them when using the ppa, but 450 aren't showing anymore.
- Since 460, the drivers are not loaded properly when Cinnamon is started.

Thank you for your help.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Druthers wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:06 pmAny help getting back to the 450 drivers would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the forum, Druthers.

You are not the first person to post on the forum indicating this has happened. I do not know why or what is happening.

If you have a Timeshift snapshot of your system when running the Nvidia-450, you could revert to it and then block future Nvidia driver package updates (in Update Manager) until someone discovers what is happening.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

Other users have been reporting problems with the Nvidia-460 series drivers, and even the 465 series, on the Nvidia Developer Forums for Linux Graphics. Here is one of the topics:
https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/r ... /165598/24

The 450 driver has been removed from the repositories. This Is one of my major gripes with what has happened to the Nvidia graphics driver installation procedure in Mint, which is based on Ubuntu. An older driver is removed when a new series is released and not making the older driver available for those users who have problems with the newer driver series.

You can download the 450.119 driver from Nvidia’s website:
https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverR ... 3104/en-us

Use the instructions in this post, under the section: Mint 20 Nvidia Driver Installation Update:

viewtopic.php?p=847465#p847465

I recommend looking over all updates available in the Update Manager before installing them. Create a Timeshift snapshot first and install any updates for the Nvidia driver or mesa separately. On my main systems, if everything is working fine, I personally don’t update the original driver I install until the next Mint version is installed.
qed
Level 1
Level 1

Post by qed »

It's truly amazing that one has to jump through all these hoops JUST to install older drivers on Linux Mint. What person thought it was a good idea to delete older drivers and replace them with the new ones? Do other distros do this, or is it just Linux Mint?
fnair
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fnair »

This needs to be fixed ASAP, it's a major issue. Severely impedes usability on laptop.
Running Mint 19.3. 450 drivers running flawlessly for a long time. Have tried the 460 drivers several months ago, but reverted back to 450 when the laptop crashed every time at resume after a suspend. This week the 460 was forced on us with no way to revert to 450 in the driver manager.
Laptop now crashes at resume every time. I have tried 465 drivers with no difference.
If this driver is going to be forced on us, the solution to these problems is not to manually install the driver from the nvidia website or to manually go mess around with the power management settings. We need a proper 460 package that doesn't crash on resume.
Oldbill
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Oldbill »

Hi
Similar problem here, Cinnamon crashes and/or PC freezes with both 460 & 465 drivers, running fine on 390. The 450 driver has worked flawlessly since I installed Mint 20 when it was released, the option to install 450 should be made available again asap.
qed
Level 1
Level 1

Post by qed »

I'm having the same issue. Do you guys think this will be fixed soon? Or should I switch to another distro? This is BEYOND frustrating. :( It's a shame, because I really like LM.
jlselu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jlselu »

Same problem here, I was of the ones staying on 450 because later versions have the crash/freeze of resume after suspend

From time to time I tested 460 or higher to see if the problems has been resolved without success until one day, voilá! I couldn't return to previous version because 450 was removed...

465 doesn't solve the problems either.

But, what is worst, using 460/465 (even sacrificing suspend) gives me random system freezes when playing certain games. And with 390 many of the games on Lutris (ie.: Wow classic) doesn't work because some functionality is missing in that driver.

Any simple way to install the 450 without going through a lot of manual changes?
Jyscal
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jyscal »

Please need these 450 drivers brought back. 460 and 465 simply does not work properly.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

jlselu wrote: Any simple way to install the 450 without going through a lot of manual changes?
No, but the steps for a manual installation can be greatly simplified. Instead of having to use 8 commands and answering 4 questions, this can be changed to using 4 commands and answering no questions.

Download the Nvidia-450 driver (NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-450.119.03.run) from this driver archive:
https://http.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/

Rename the downloaded package to N-450.119.run and move it to the Home directory (/home/user-name).

Remove any Nvidia driver already installed from using the distro's package manager. If you don't know how, then see the instructions in the linked topic in my first post.

Use this command to install libc6-dev and libglvnd-dev, create a file named disable-nouveau.conf containing the command "blacklist nouveau" and update the initial ramdisk:

Code: Select all

apt install -y libc6-dev libglvnd-dev && echo "blacklist nouveau" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/disable-nouveau.conf && sudo update-initramfs -u
Reboot. Press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to enter tty1. If that doesn't work, then press Ctrl+Alt+F2 to enter tty2. Stop the display manager: sudo service lightdm stop

Sometimes you may now see a black screen with no text. If that happens, just press ENTER, or Ctrl+Alt+F1 again.

Install the Nvidia driver: sudo sh N-450.119.run -q

Adding the -q option makes the installation automatic by removing the 4 steps where you would normally have to make a selection.

After the installation, restart the display manager: sudo service lightdm start
Last edited by roblm on Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
jlselu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jlselu »

roblm wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:45 am No, but the steps for a manual installation can be greatly simplified. Instead of having to use 8 commands and answering 4 questions, this can be changed to using 4 commands and answering no questions.
Man, you're right, this is a big help, thanks for the effort!
Jyscal
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jyscal »

roblm wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:45 am
jlselu wrote: Any simple way to install the 450 without going through a lot of manual changes?
No, but the steps for a manual installation can be greatly simplified. Instead of having to use 8 commands and answering 4 questions, this can be changed to using 4 commands and answering no questions.

Download the Nvidia-450 driver (NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-450.119.03.run) from this driver archive:

Rename the file N-450.119.run and move it to the Home directory (/home/user-name).

Remove any Nvidia driver already installed from using the distro's package manager. If you don't know how, then see the instructions in the linked topic in my first post.

Use this command to install libc6-dev and libglvnd-dev, create a file named disable-nouveau.conf containing the command "blacklist nouveau" and update the initial ramdisk:

apt install -y libc6-dev libglvnd-dev && echo "blacklist nouveau" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/disable-nouveau.conf && sudo update-initramfs -u
Reboot. Press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to enter tty1. If that doesn't work, then press Ctrl+Alt+F2 to enter tty2. Stop the display manager: sudo service lightdm stop

Sometimes you may now see a black screen with no text. If that happens, just press ENTER, or Ctrl+Alt+F1 again.

Adding the -q option makes the installation automatic by removing the 4 steps where you would normally have to make a selection.

This helped a lot, thanks so much.
llovepancakes
Level 1
Level 1

Post by llovepancakes »

roblm wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:45 am

Rename the downloaded package to N-450.119.run and move it to the Home directory (/home/user-name).

im so new and even so, this worked flawlessly. thank you rob. offtopic: what if later we cant get onto desktop to ctl alt f1 to roll back or uninstall? I ended up reinstalling mint :(
Last edited by SMG on Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enabled bbcodes so response was clearly separate from the quoted information.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

llovepancakes wrote: what if later we cant get onto desktop to ctl alt f1 to roll back or uninstall?
If you can get to the desktop, then you don't need to enter tty1 to uninstall the Nvidia driver.
Open the Terminal and use this command to remove the disable-nouveau.conf file:
sudo rm /etc/modprobe.d/disable-nouveau.conf

Update the initial ramdisk: sudo update-initramfs -u

Uninstall the driver: sudo nvidia-installer --uninstall

At this next screen, select NO:
If you plan to no longer use the NVIDIA driver, you should make sure that no X screens are configured to use the NVIDIA X driver in your configuration file…..
Reboot.

If you get a black screen, press and hold the Alt key and then press the letters SysRq (Print Screen) r, e, i, s, u, b.

According to Nvidia, the reason the Nvidia installer requires you to stop the X Server to install the Nvidia driver is because the first thing it does after building the new kernel module is to test load it. It can't do that if an old kernel module is still in use by the X server.

If you can’t get back to the desktop, then first try to enter tty1 by pressing Ctl+Alt+F1. Use these commands:

sudo update-initramfs -u
sudo nvidia-installer --uninstall
reboot 
If you can't enter tty1, then select Advanced options > Recovery Mode at the GRUB boot menu. If no menu shows, then hold down the Shift key while starting, or keep tapping it, or tap the Esc key. In the menu, select “root - drop to root shell prompt ” and press ENTER. Press ENTER again. Use the commands above, but the word sudo can be removed.

Occasionally, Recovery Mode may not work. There are two other options.
1. Run a live session using the Mint installation DVD or USB and chroot into the disabled installation.
2. Use SSH to connect from another connected PC, but SSH must be already be installed on both PCs.
llovepancakes
Level 1
Level 1

Post by llovepancakes »

roblm wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:23 am
llovepancakes wrote: what if later we cant get onto desktop to ctl alt f1 to roll back or uninstall?
If you can get to the desktop, then you don't need to enter tty1 to uninstall the Nvidia driver.
Open the Terminal and use this command to remove the disable-nouveau.conf file:

Update the initial ramdisk: sudo update-initramfs -u

Uninstall the driver: sudo nvidia-installer --uninstall

At this next screen, select NO:
If you plan to no longer use the NVIDIA driver, you should make sure that no X screens are configured to use the NVIDIA X driver in your configuration file…..
Reboot.

If you get a black screen, press and hold the Alt key and then press the letters SysRq (Print Screen) r, e, i, s, u, b.

According to Nvidia, the reason the Nvidia installer requires you to stop the X Server to install the Nvidia driver is because the first thing it does after building the new kernel module is to test load it. It can't do that if an old kernel module is still in use by the X server.

If you can’t get back to the desktop, then first try to enter tty1 by pressing Ctl+Alt+F1. Use these commands:

sudo update-initramfs -u
sudo nvidia-installer --uninstall
reboot 
If you can't enter tty1, then select Advanced options > Recovery Mode at the GRUB boot menu. If no menu shows, then hold down the Shift key while starting, or keep tapping it, or tap the Esc key. In the menu, select “root - drop to root shell prompt ” and press ENTER. Press ENTER again. Use the commands above, but the word sudo can be removed.

Occasionally, Recovery Mode may not work. There are two other options.
1. Run a live session using the Mint installation DVD or USB and chroot into the disabled installation.
2. Use SSH to connect from another connected PC, but SSH must be already be installed on both PCs.
thx so much. lots to learn coming decades of microsoft lol...
Last edited by SMG on Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enabled BBcode so response was clearly separate from the quoted informaiton.
fnair
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fnair »

After months of using the Intel gpu in my laptop, because all the releases since the 450 drivers were removed from the repos have crashed on resume from sleep and no one at Ubuntu making the packages seem to want to fix the issue (the drivers downloaded from the nvidia website work, so it's an Ubuntu packaging issue), I finally found the solution in another forum which fixes the crash. The solution is simply to remove all versions of the drivers presently installed and install the nvidia-driver-450-server drivers. (If you install the "normal" nvidia-450-driver, it actually installs the 460 version, which crashes.)

sudo apt purge *nvidia*
sudo apt autoremove
sudo apt install nvidia-driver-450-server
reboot

I also installed the nvidia-prime and nvidia-prime-applet packages. No more crashes on resume. Finally!
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Moderator Note: gruber013's question can now be found here Mint 20.2 - Problem with suspend with Nvidia using 5.4 kernel.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”