<SOLVED>Black screen after suspend/No drivers installed (ryzen 5500u)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BlechMint
Level 1
Level 1

<SOLVED>Black screen after suspend/No drivers installed (ryzen 5500u)

Post by BlechMint »

Hello everyone! I'm posting this topic as solved to hopefully help people who run across the same issue. I followed the advice on a couple of different topics, and it fixed the issues I was having, so I'm sharing what worked for me.

The Issue(s): I just bought a laptop (Lenovo Ideapad 3 Ryzen 5500u) and promptly installed Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon. It installed easily, and the only issue apparent at first was a message saying that my system was running without video hardware acceleration.
For reference, that message looked like the one in the first post on this topic viewtopic.php?p=2020459#p2020459
Then I noticed that when I closed the lid on the laptop and opened it back up, it would show a blank screen and seemed like it wouldn't respond. I held the power button and manually shut it off and then turned it back on.
After messing with Screen Saver and Power Management settings, I thought I had fixed the problem, but when I would Suspend the laptop, it still had the issue of a blank screen. (I suspended it from the login screen, but I think it would have done the same had I suspended it any other way) I noticed however, that it would still make noises when I pressed the volume buttons, so I realized that it was working, except it wasn't showing anything on the screen. I could login still by putting in my password, and then use the keyboard to open a terminal with Ctrl+Alt+T and type in the terminal to reboot the computer. When I rebooted, Linux Mint would work fine as usual.

The Solution (for me): As I said above, I thought the screen saver and power management tweaks had fixed the issue, but they actually just made the computer not suspend as much.
The thing that worked for me was to install the Ubuntu Mainline Kernel Installer and then install the 5.11 Kernel as recommended in Post #4 on the forum topic I linked in the previous paragraph. (I used 5.11.1 based off the post by Robim, and I'm unsure of how well other 5.11 kernels would work)
After installing the 5.11 kernel, the screen would come back up when the laptop was suspended, and the annoying drivers message no longer popped up.

It seems like these newer Ryzen processors don't like the older 5.4 kernel that Mint was using at first. If I encounter any other issues, I'll update the topic, but it seems to be working fine now.
I hope it was ok to post a new topic as <solved> already. The reason I chose to do this was to not hijack other threads. It seems like other people are having similar issues, but I hadn't seen this one as solved for anyone else when I was searching the forum
I hope this helps! Please let me know if anyone wants more system info from me or anything else.
Last edited by BlechMint on Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dave8671
Level 4
Level 4

Re: <SOLVED>Black screen after suspend/No drivers installed

Post by dave8671 »

Hmm I use a Ryzen 5 3400G in my Linux desktop 5.4.0-74-generic have had no issues. Though I do not suspend the desktop due to it having a SSD installed. I did read Ryzen 3 instruction issues when I was looking for CPU though.
pradeek
Level 1
Level 1

Re: <SOLVED>Black screen after suspend/No drivers installed (ryzen 5500u)

Post by pradeek »

I'm using the same processor for my laptop, currently display drivers are available for this processor?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: <SOLVED>Black screen after suspend/No drivers installed (ryzen 5500u)

Post by SMG »

pradeek wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:10 am I'm using the same processor for my laptop, currently display drivers are available for this processor?
The display drivers for the Ryzen 5500U are included in the kernel and install automatically if you are using the 5.11 kernel.

If you have further questions, please create your own thread and make sure to include the information from Section 5 of READ: How To Get Help! in your first post.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”