NVIDIA Geforce 3080 driver issue.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mandrake67
Level 1
Level 1

NVIDIA Geforce 3080 driver issue.

Post by Mandrake67 »

Hi all,
I recently made a new build and not sure if I have configured it correctly, am using the right Kernel or have the right things installed. But when ever I start I get huge lag spikes and screen freezes and whenever I start the driver manager comes up saying there is no video acceleration running. I open it up and select the nvidia-driver-465 which is already installed with the nvidia drive 460 and the xserver-xorg-video-nouveau drivers. Every time I select it or any driver for that matter, it reboots and keeps coming up with the same error. I also notice my screen randomly flickers off black and sometimes it comes back, other times it remains blank and says no signal. It did this on my previous build of linux mint also. The Monitor is: ASUS XG27UQ.

I run inxi -Fxxxrz and the following was the output:

System:
Kernel: 5.8.0-55-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: N/A
Desktop: Cinnamon 4.6.7 wm: muffin 4.6.3 dm: LightDM 1.30.0
Distro: Linux Mint 20 Ulyana base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal
Machine:
Type: Desktop Mobo: Micro-Star model: MEG Z590 GODLIKE (MS-7D03) v: 2.0
serial: <filter> UEFI: American Megatrends LLC. v: A.10 date: 05/06/2021
CPU:
Topology: 8-Core model: 11th Gen Intel Core i7-11700K bits: 64
type: MT MCP arch: N/A L2 cache: 16.0 MiB
flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx
bogomips: 115200
Speed: 4917 MHz min/max: 800/4900 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 4912 2: 4912
3: 4997 4: 4900 5: 4900 6: 4900 7: 4900 8: 4779 9: 4900 10: 4913 11: 4900
12: 4880 13: 4912 14: 4911 15: 4912 16: 4900
Graphics:
Device-1: NVIDIA vendor: Gigabyte driver: nvidia v: 465.27 bus ID: 01:00.0
chip ID: 10de:2206
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau
unloaded: vesa alternate: nvidia resolution: 3840x2160~88Hz
OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 11.0.0 256 bits) v: 4.5 Mesa 20.2.6
compat-v: 3.1 direct render: Yes
Audio:
Device-1: Intel vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
bus ID: 00:1f.3 chip ID: 8086:43c8
Device-2: NVIDIA vendor: Gigabyte driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
bus ID: 01:00.1 chip ID: 10de:1aef
Device-3: Micro Star USB Audio type: USB
driver: hid-generic,snd-usb-audio,usbhid bus ID: 1-11:10
chip ID: 0db0:5f5d
Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.8.0-55-generic
Network:
Device-1: Aquantia AQC107 NBase-T/IEEE 802.3bz Ethernet [AQtion]
vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: atlantic v: kernel port: 3000
bus ID: 70:00.0 chip ID: 1d6a:07b1
IF: enp112s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Device-2: Intel vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: igc v: 0.0.1-k port: 3000
bus ID: 71:00.0 chip ID: 8086:15f3
IF: enp113s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Device-3: Intel driver: N/A port: 3000 bus ID: 72:00.0 chip ID: 8086:2725
Drives:
Local Storage: total: 1.83 TiB used: 43.74 GiB (2.3%)
ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Seagate model: FireCuda 520 SSD ZP2000GM30002
size: 1.82 TiB speed: 63.2 Gb/s lanes: 4 serial: <filter> rev: STNSC014
scheme: GPT
ID-2: /dev/nvme1n1 vendor: Seagate model: FireCuda 520 SSD ZP2000GM30002
scheme: GPT
ID-3: /dev/nvme2n1 vendor: Seagate model: FireCuda 520 SSD ZP2000GM30002

Rather than spend hours and hours trying to fix this problem myself, I thought I would reach out and see if anyone had similar issues or if anyone can think of a possible fix.

Any help deeply appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: NVIDIA Geforce 3080 driver issue.

Post by SMG »

Welcome to the forum, Mandrake67.

The output you posted indicates your system is running in software rendering mode (llvmpipe) and not using the Nvidia display driver. Nvidia is listed as an alternate driver (which means it is probably not being used).

Graphics:

Do you know if you have Secure Boot disabled? You can check by running mokutil --sb-state.

If it is disabled and you still get the the message about no hardware acceleration, restart the X Server using Ctl-Alt-Backspace. If that fixes the issue, a more permanent solution is in this thread [SOLVED] NVIDIA driver failing sometimes on boot ("no hardware acceleration"). Let us know if the fix roblm recommends in the second post addresses the issue for you.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Mandrake67
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mandrake67 »

SMG wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:24 pm Welcome to the forum, Mandrake67.

The output you posted indicates your system is running in software rendering mode (llvmpipe) and not using the Nvidia display driver. Nvidia is listed as an alternate driver (which means it is probably not being used).

Graphics:

Do you know if you have Secure Boot disabled? You can check by running mokutil --sb-state.

If it is disabled and you still get the the message about no hardware acceleration, restart the X Server using Ctl-Alt-Backspace. If that fixes the issue, a more permanent solution is in this thread [SOLVED] NVIDIA driver failing sometimes on boot ("no hardware acceleration"). Let us know if the fix roblm recommends in the second post addresses the issue for you.
Thanks for the reply. I read the other post you linked also but I have run into a new problem. I updated my BIOS to latest version and now when I boot into Mint it logs me in and then immediately the screen freezes. I can't do anything. I can get into root shell in recovery mode but unsure of where to go from there and how to resolve the issue. Also have a lot of issues with my monitor not turning on and showing no signal on boot. I have to constantly restart my pc. This happens with Display port and HDMI cable and also did this on my old hardware with my version of mint that worked fine. I am guessing there is some sort of issue with the monitor or possibly the DP cable is 1.2 and needs to be 1.4? I am really stumped and its really annoying because sometimes just to even boot i have to restart my computer like 5 times because it just keeps showing no signal. Any help is very appreciated and I want to work to fix this issue!
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Mandrake67 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:25 amThanks for the reply. I read the other post you linked also but I have run into a new problem. I updated my BIOS to latest version and now when I boot into Mint it logs me in and then immediately the screen freezes.
So you now have a BIOS version newer than A.10 that you posted earlier?

Machine:

Maybe updating the BIOS reset your computer to use onboard graphics instead of the discrete card? Can you boot into BIOS/UEFI to check?

The 11th Gen Intel Core i7-11700K needs to be using the 5.10-oem kernel in order to use the onboard Intel graphics. (There is a bug and only that kernel has the patch for it.) Most people are able to boot into Recovery Mode and select the resume option (instead of root shell) to get in and install that 5.10-oem kernel, but those people did not have Nvidia drivers installed at the time they installed the kernel. (The Nvidia drivers might be causing a problem if the computer is trying to use onboard graphics with the 5.8 kernel? I'm not sure.) The 5.10-oem kernel can be installed with sudo apt install linux-oem-20.04b.

Do you have an install usb/dvd? If so, boot into a live session of Mint and see if the same thing happens. I would suggest using this ISO Linux Mint 20.1 "Ulyssa" - Cinnamon (Edge, 64-bit) if that is not the one you have. That uses the 5.8 kernel, but you still may have to boot using Compatibility Mode because of the Intel graphics bug.
Mandrake67 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:25 am Also have a lot of issues with my monitor not turning on and showing no signal on boot. I have to constantly restart my pc. This happens with Display port and HDMI cable and also did this on my old hardware with my version of mint that worked fine. I am guessing there is some sort of issue with the monitor or possibly the DP cable is 1.2 and needs to be 1.4?
I do not have any suggestions at this point. An issue like this can be caused by quite a few different things.
Mandrake67
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mandrake67 »

SMG wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:30 am
Mandrake67 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:25 amThanks for the reply. I read the other post you linked also but I have run into a new problem. I updated my BIOS to latest version and now when I boot into Mint it logs me in and then immediately the screen freezes.
So you now have a BIOS version newer than A.10 that you posted earlier?

Machine:

Maybe updating the BIOS reset your computer to use onboard graphics instead of the discrete card? Can you boot into BIOS/UEFI to check?

The 11th Gen Intel Core i7-11700K needs to be using the 5.10-oem kernel in order to use the onboard Intel graphics. (There is a bug and only that kernel has the patch for it.) Most people are able to boot into Recovery Mode and select the resume option (instead of root shell) to get in and install that 5.10-oem kernel, but those people did not have Nvidia drivers installed at the time they installed the kernel. (The Nvidia drivers might be causing a problem if the computer is trying to use onboard graphics with the 5.8 kernel? I'm not sure.) The 5.10-oem kernel can be installed with sudo apt install linux-oem-20.04b.

Do you have an install usb/dvd? If so, boot into a live session of Mint and see if the same thing happens. I would suggest using this ISO Linux Mint 20.1 "Ulyssa" - Cinnamon (Edge, 64-bit) if that is not the one you have. That uses the 5.8 kernel, but you still may have to boot using Compatibility Mode because of the Intel graphics bug.
Mandrake67 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:25 am Also have a lot of issues with my monitor not turning on and showing no signal on boot. I have to constantly restart my pc. This happens with Display port and HDMI cable and also did this on my old hardware with my version of mint that worked fine. I am guessing there is some sort of issue with the monitor or possibly the DP cable is 1.2 and needs to be 1.4?
I do not have any suggestions at this point. An issue like this can be caused by quite a few different things.
Bios version is the same. That is the latest one. I just spent about 10mins writing a big reply with everything that is going wrong now with the pc but it basically crashed out "displayport no signal" then the keyboard went off and it like crashed. Really no idea what is happening with this PC. It randomly booted into GUI and the mouse didnt freeze this time so I installed 5.10 kernel with the instructions you provided. Then it seamed to reboot alot nicer and didnt have the Video acceleration error anymore. But then when i opened firefox it would get a huge hangup and not open then the computer would start laggin bad getting slower and slower with mouse tearing and lag like it had no ram left until it eventually would crash. So I logged into windows on my other firecuda drive and it began lagging too and also crashed. I have a custom thermal take water cooled rig. I am wondering if the cancerous TT RGB software caused some problem because it kept crashing. Also when i was building the build i had to drain the coolant backout to get to the back of the motherboard because the fans wouldnt start and the controler was back there and for some random reason a huge wad of coolant randomly sperted out of my radiator right onto the riser cable of the graphics card where it inserts into the card. I cleaned it up but when i tried to restart it got the red flashing warning for water leak. I took it out and noticed on the gold fins it had thetinest specs of fluid. I cleaned it and put it back together but the error persisted so i had to unplug the sensor just to get it to boot. Not sure if this is the issue Or if its bios or something to do with my ram. My ram is 3600mhz but in bios it is capped at 2666mhz not sure why.

I tried the solution from viewtopic.php?f=59&t=331611 for the graphics drivers on boot but all that would happen would be a flickering back screen after it booted.

As I said I am pretty frustrated and never had this many issues with a build before. Starting to regret getting the custom rig and intel.

Any help or ideas is appreciated because i am fast running out.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

If you are seeing similar problems in both Mint and Windows, that often means a hardware related issue.

In order to troubleshoot hardware, one often strips down the machine as much as possible and then tries adding components one at a time for testing. I presume your BIOS gives you the option of using onboard graphics or discrete graphics (Nvidia card). While troubleshooting issues where keyboard and monitor problems happen, I would just go with the Intel graphics to get the those problems resolved first. That would remove any Nvidia card or driver issues from the equation. If all works in that state, then you would add Nvidia back in.

I do not have experience with ThermalTake, but a leak does not sound good, especially near electrical equipment. Is it under warranty?
Mandrake67
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mandrake67 »

SMG wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:58 pm If you are seeing similar problems in both Mint and Windows, that often means a hardware related issue.

In order to troubleshoot hardware, one often strips down the machine as much as possible and then tries adding components one at a time for testing. I presume your BIOS gives you the option of using onboard graphics or discrete graphics (Nvidia card). While troubleshooting issues where keyboard and monitor problems happen, I would just go with the Intel graphics to get the those problems resolved first. That would remove any Nvidia card or driver issues from the equation. If all works in that state, then you would add Nvidia back in.

I do not have experience with ThermalTake, but a leak does not sound good, especially near electrical equipment. Is it under warranty?
Ok so Done some investigating and there are a few issues going on here. I tried different ram and it still got errors and lagged and crashed. So I turned off Thunderbolt in bios to see if this would help because I heard it causes dramas(which sucks cause whole reason i switched to intel and got this board was for gen4 thunderbolt) I then checked the motherboard as the hangup happened in windows and error codes 51 and 52 kept flashing on mobo. My mobo is:
MSI MEG Z590 GODLIKE Motherboard and those error codes are: memory initialization error: SPD reading has failed. memory initialization error: invalid memory size or memory modules do not match.

I decided to try something different so I used time shift to go back to the first snap shot or when i installed and selected Kernel 5.4.0-26 at grub to see if it would make a difference and the difference is huge. No lagging, Firefoxs delays a bit but does open. Things seam to run a bit smoother but that hardware acceleration error has come back.

I am starting to wonder if my hardware even is compatible. It is latest chipset and everything but I have no idea whats going on. I get a bit of screen tearing but that is probably because i am using the other GPU drivers.

I also switched monitors and used a HDMI cable and i dont get the monitor randomly blacking out and not turning on all the time anymore so There is something wrong with either my monitor or the DP cable.

Not sure if it matters also but I all of my OS are full disk encryption. I first installed Linux mint Full disk encryption and then windows but could not get veracrypt to work properly with windows like it wouldnt pass the test. So I remembered from my duel boot on old machine that windows must be installed first. So I installed windows again and in the install process just deleted all partitions on all drives to make install of mint easier later. Then Installed windows, used veracrypt for disk encryption, then installed mint on the other drive with full disk encryption and can boot into both from grub. Not sure if this has anything to do with it but I had to switch of secure boot and fast boot to do this. Could there be new settings on the mobo bios I am missing?

Again any help is very appreciated because I cant use this beast and I spent ages building it...kinda my dream build really...Even have the TT distrocase...
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Mandrake67 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:17 pmI then checked the motherboard as the hangup happened in windows and error codes 51 and 52 kept flashing on mobo. My mobo is: MSI MEG Z590 GODLIKE Motherboard and those error codes are: memory initialization error: SPD reading has failed. memory initialization error: invalid memory size or memory modules do not match.
I did find this thread Help! Installation stuck, code 51 (memory initialization error) which indicated error 51 could be related to Thunderbolt. If you already had Thunderbolt turned off in the BIOS (which it sounds like you did) and still got the error, then there could be an issue with memory.

I do not have enough knowledge to help you troubleshoot specifics with your computer's motherboard. I would think your motherboard's documentation would be the best place to get more information about the available settings and how they might affect your install.
Mandrake67 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:17 pmI decided to try something different so I used time shift to go back to the first snap shot or when i installed and selected Kernel 5.4.0-26 at grub to see if it would make a difference and the difference is huge. No lagging, Firefoxs delays a bit but does open. Things seam to run a bit smoother but that hardware acceleration error has come back.
Did you have the Nvidia drivers installed at this point? It's possible the Nvidia drivers were installed, but nouveau loaded faster than nvidia. That is a known reason for hardware acceleration errors, but there can be other reasons as well. I would need to see inxi output to have a better idea.
Mandrake67 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:17 pmI am starting to wonder if my hardware even is compatible. It is latest chipset and everything but I have no idea whats going on. I get a bit of screen tearing but that is probably because i am using the other GPU drivers.
Please keep in mind that very new hardware often needs newer kernels in order to get the correct drivers. Older kernels will not have the drivers needed for the newest hardware.

Your hardware is new enough that it should really be running with a kernel much newer than 5.4. As I mentioned earlier, I would recommend the 5.10-oem kernel for 10th gen Intel in order for the proper graphics to load. There may be other newer drivers that kernel loads as well.
Mandrake67 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:17 pmI also switched monitors and used a HDMI cable and i dont get the monitor randomly blacking out and not turning on all the time anymore so There is something wrong with either my monitor or the DP cable.
Sounds like you are making progress in troubleshooting issues. That is good news.
Mandrake67 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:17 pm Then Installed windows, used veracrypt for disk encryption, then installed mint on the other drive with full disk encryption and can boot into both from grub. Not sure if this has anything to do with it but I had to switch of secure boot and fast boot to do this.
You are likely to have less problems in Mint when Secure Boot and Fast Boot are off. You will also want to make sure the Win10 option of "Fast Startup" (an option in the Windows 10 Power Settings) is off.

The only issues I've heard with regards to disk encryption are the possibilities things might not run/respond as quickly (depending upon the type of encryption and what portions of the disk are encrypted). I am not aware of any issues like what you have described that may be because of encryption.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”