second monitor issues SOLVED

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hhead
Level 3
Level 3

second monitor issues SOLVED

Post by hhead »

This is an interesting problem. I've tried attaching several different external monitors to my laptop and my wife's laptop. My wife has brought a windows machine home for work purposes but would like to use her Linux laptop with the second monitor too.

The TV using an HDMI cable works fine. No problems. Using two old work monitors (LCD) w/o HDMI has the following issues. The monitors work and show the Linux desktop but after a few minutes the external monitor blanks and goes into powersaving mode. If you click with the mouse it starts up again. I bought a VGA to HDMI connector and this is terrible with it almost continuously going on off on off. The one my wife brought home for her work laptop works better but still goes on off in Linux at least (just less frequently).

The weirdest thing is Scribus precipitates it. Open it up drag it to the second monitor and it goes into powersaving mode.

Windows works fine in that it doesn't blank but the resolution is poor and the screen is not filled and there doesn't seem top be a way to do this.

Here are details on my system...

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
System:
  Kernel: 5.4.0-77-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0 
  Desktop: MATE 1.24.0 Distro: Linux Mint 20 Ulyana base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal 
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: HP product: HP Notebook v: Type1ProductConfigId 
  serial: <filter> 
  Mobo: HP model: 80C1 v: 96.44 serial: <filter> UEFI: Insyde v: F.1E 
  date: 12/25/2015 
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 5500 vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: i915 
  v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa 
  tty: N/A 

What's going on?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hhead
Level 3
Level 3

Re: second monitor issues SOLVED

Post by hhead »

I bought a different cable DVI-M to HDMI. The colour and image are better and scribus doesn't cause the problem I guess it was a hardware issue, but it was very strange.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”