Random Unexpected Crashes on OpenGL Games With AMD Redwood XT [Radeon HD 5670/5690/5730]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TheLinuxGamer
Level 1
Level 1

Random Unexpected Crashes on OpenGL Games With AMD Redwood XT [Radeon HD 5670/5690/5730]

Post by TheLinuxGamer »

I am using Linux Mint 20.1 (Ubuntu 20.04 Based) with my Dell Studio XPS 8100 and I have been experiencing crashes when playing SuperTuxKart. My GPU is more than powerful enough to run the game and it runs it at around 100 FPS perfectly fine for a few minutes and then it randomly freezes the PC and I have to hard shutdown. I looked online and my GPU should support OpenGL 4.4 but in System Info it shows that the OpenGL version is 3.3. I am using the radeon driver that I installed from the third-party PPA. (https://linuxconfig.org/amd-radeon-ubun ... stallation) It only crashes when playing OpenGL games, even super small games like Neverball. Video editing and web games work just fine. Please help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Random Unexpected Crashes on OpenGL Games With AMD Redwood XT [Radeon HD 5670/5690/5730]

Post by SMG »

TheLinuxGamer wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:46 pm I am using Linux Mint 20.1 (Ubuntu 20.04 Based) with my Dell Studio XPS 8100 ...
Welcome to the forum, TheLinuxGamer.

To help us be able to help you, we need to see information about your system. Please give us information about your install by entering this command in a terminal: inxi -Fxxxrz
Click </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply and then place your cursor between the code markers and paste the results of the command between the code markers [code]Results[/code]. This will let us know how Mint sees your hardware.

Please also give the output of glxinfo -B and put the results within the code tags.

A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”