[SOLVED] Very Low Performance/FPS from New RTX 3060Ti

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
HolyHipster
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Very Low Performance/FPS from New RTX 3060Ti

Post by HolyHipster »

Hi Everyone,

I just bought and installed a RTX 3060 Ti in my System. To install the driver I had to boot from integrated intel HD Graphics first, install nvidia 470 driver and then disabled intel igpu in Bios.
My System appears to recognize it correctly as RTX 3060Ti and everything appears to work. However, once I start any game (pretty much the only GPU intensive task I do), my performance is way worse than with my previous GPU (GTX 1660 Super). For Example: Before I got ~70fps in Kingdom Come Deliverance and now, same settings, I get around 15-30 which is obviously not the desired outcome of my GPU upgrade :roll:

I tried to switch to noveau driver and then switch back to nvidia driver: Does not help. I also tried Nvidia Driver 460 and updated my Bios to newest Version. Unfortunately I was not able to increase performance, so far.

Does anyone have an Idea, or better, solution to what can cause this? Light Web Browsing and Office work etc. works, but during intensive tasks it is not able to perform reliably.

Thanks in Advance!

System Info:

Code: Select all

https://termbin.com/zj1p
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Very Low Performance/FPS from New RTX 3060Ti

Post by Moonstone Man »

HolyHipster wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:55 pm Does anyone have an Idea, or better, solution to what can cause this?
The most obvious thing is your kernel, which is too old for you CPU. Go into Update Manager, select View then select Linux Kernels, and install the latest 5.11 then reboot. We'll take it from there.
HolyHipster
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HolyHipster »

So now I upgraded my Kernel to Version 5.11, but performance is unfortunately still worse than before in most games (but easily playable in the less demanding ones).
In Kingdom Come Deliverance performance tanks to almost unplayable FPS. Less than a third of the performance with an almost 60% faster GPU..
In another Game I can see my specs in the menu and it recognizes my CPU and RAM correctly, but shows my GPU as "GTX 470".
Since I run both those games through Proton, I wonder if the Problem might be related to Proton/Wine.

I also tested a Linux Native Game and it works really well, but still slightly slower than previously.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

HolyHipster wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:43 am So now I upgraded my Kernel to Version 5.11, but performance is unfortunately still worse than before in most games (but easily playable in the less demanding ones).
In Kingdom Come Deliverance performance tanks to almost unplayable FPS. Less than a third of the performance with an almost 60% faster GPU..
In another Game I can see my specs in the menu and it recognizes my CPU and RAM correctly, but shows my GPU as "GTX 470".
Since I run both those games through Proton, I wonder if the Problem might be related to Proton/Wine.

I also tested a Linux Native Game and it works really well, but still slightly slower than previously.
I'm curious about something. After you upgraded to Kernel 5.11, did you try reinstalling the nvidia driver that is straight from their official site? Did you install that 460 or 470 driver via Driver Manager?

Also I noticed there is a " product branch" drop down option on nvidia.com under that exact video card...and a " New Feature Branch" will leads one to a 465.31 found here https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverR ... 5539/en-us...... ( slightly older driver dated back in May versus the 470.xx.xx of barely a week ago). Have you tried that driver yet?

Also I noticed your "modesetting" was set to " nouveau" which has me curious there especially IF.. Is that part still the same or did it change? If not, KadaitchaMan...SMG and any others please chime in, I wonder if that is involved-enough. Doesn't nouveau mean something of the effect of the open source driver is being loaded first...or used only.??

** Involving wine. I found this https://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git/ ... f21e920a08 from a discussion a couple of years ago similar to your situation involving the rtx2060 being identified as gtx 470 also. What version of wine do you have?
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
HolyHipster
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HolyHipster »

I installed the 460 and 470 drivers via Driver Manager, since it is recommended over installing from the nvidia site in some guides.
Never tried the 465.31 Driver so far, I am unsure whether I should install it from the .run file from nvidia?

Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA vendor: Gigabyte driver: nvidia v: 470.57.02 bus ID: 01:00.0 
           chip ID: 10de:2489 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: nvidia 
           unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 470.57.02 
           direct render: Yes 
"modesetting" is still in the same spot as before. Does this mean it is set to nouveau driver or nvidia?

I use Proton 6.5.3, which is Valves fork of wine, made for gaming. According to Valve the version number corresponds to wine, so wine version is also 6.5.3, I guess.

Thanks for your hint towards the old situation of rtx2060 being identified as gtx 470. According to older answers of wine developers, this seems indeed to be wanted behaviour.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

HolyHipster wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:43 am So now I upgraded my Kernel to Version 5.11, but performance is unfortunately still worse than before in most games (but easily playable in the less demanding ones).
That sounds like an issue with how the game is using what is available rather than an issue with Mint. If it was an issue with Mint then you would be seeing it all apps and not just games.
motoryzen wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:09 pmI'm curious about something. After you upgraded to Kernel 5.11, did you try reinstalling the nvidia driver that is straight from their official site? Did you install that 460 or 470 driver via Driver Manager?
We do not recommend mixing methods of installing drivers. The preferred method, even as listed on the Nvidia website, is to use one's distro files (ie. Driver Manager for Mint users) and not use the files on the website.
motoryzen wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:09 pmAlso I noticed your "modesetting" was set to " nouveau"
I do not understand what this means? Both modesetting and nouveau are display drivers in the inxi output and both are unloaded.
HolyHipster wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:34 pmGraphics: Device-1: NVIDIA vendor: Gigabyte driver: nvidia v: 470.57.02 bus ID: 01:00.0
chip ID: 10de:2489
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: nvidia
unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 470.57.02
direct render: Yes

"modesetting" is still in the same spot as before. Does this mean it is set to nouveau driver or nvidia?
Modesetting is unloaded which means it is not being used. The nvidia driver (I put in blue) is the only display driver loaded.

If you are not having problems with Mint itself, I suggest keeping the Nvidia-470 installed. Unless a specific bug you are experiencing is fixed in a "new feature" branch driver or a new feature you need is added, we recommend you stay with the "production branch" drivers.
HolyHipster wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:34 pm I use Proton 6.5.3, which is Valves fork of wine, made for gaming. According to Valve the version number corresponds to wine, so wine version is also 6.5.3, I guess.

Thanks for your hint towards the old situation of rtx2060 being identified as gtx 470. According to older answers of wine developers, this seems indeed to be wanted behaviour.
I do not game, but I've been able to help others using tips for specific games I found on the protondb website. Here is the link for Kingdom Come Deliverance. It seems you are not the only one to notice a downward difference with a newer GPU.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

We do not recommend mixing methods of installing drivers. The preferred method, even as listed on the Nvidia website, is to use one's distro files (ie. Driver Manager for Mint users) and not use the files on the website
Yes normally I'd agree and I would try Driver Manager first. However, I've seen even on here often enough with nvidia users, that the Driver Manager doesn't always provide the correct driver per user. There have been cases where the end user had to install the driver via nvidia's website download. I'd have to dig deeper to find the mint forums exact url.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
ryzen 5900x
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

motoryzen wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:10 pmThere have been cases where the end user had to install the driver via nvidia's website download. I'd have to dig deeper to find the mint forums exact url.
I've personally helped people to do it here on the forum, so I do need to see urls.

At this point, I do not see a reason to recommend using a driver which is not available in Driver Manager.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

I did find this link https://itsfoss.com/nvidia-linux-mint/ although obviously it isn't a link to a forums.linuxmint.com conversation.

ctrl f " Troubleshooting tips" ( or scroll about one third a ways down the webpage)

One person cited using Mint 20.1 with kernel 5.4 ( similar to the termbin link posted by OP)..claiming that the latest Nvidia driver did not work for him or her ( was 460 at that time and Yes I already I know that 470.something.something is the newest Nvidia driver per their official site).

My point is that if there are any different drivers, in case the OP has already tried all available that show in Driver Manager within Mint, available from the nvidia site, why should it hurt to try any of those drivers? There is a 465.something.something directly from Nvidia.com with the drop down option of " New Feature branch" found precisely here https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverR ... 5539/en-us

Of course imo a Timeshift backup is already a wise decision to do first. This whole idea is if the driver is the problem *shrugs*. Nothing wrong with covering all of one variable to rule it out eh?
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
ryzen 5900x
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

motoryzen wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:56 pmI did find this link https://itsfoss.com/nvidia-linux-mint/ although obviously it isn't a link to a forums.linuxmint.com conversation.

ctrl f " Troubleshooting tips" ( or scroll about one third a ways down the webpage)
That part of the article describes installing a different driver from Driver Manager. The part of that webpage which describes how to install from the website is titled "Installing Nvidia Drivers using the .run file from Official Website (Time Consuming/Not Recommended)". I agree with the "not recommended" for this situation.
motoryzen wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:56 pmMy point is that if there are any different drivers, in case the OP has already tried all available that show in Driver Manager within Mint, available from the nvidia site, why should it hurt to try any of those drivers?
I've been involved on enough threads regarding games where all kinds of drivers were installed to find out in the end the settings for the game were the issue that I do not see a reason to go through all that work to do it. That's my opinion and the OP is free to take the suggestions they want.
HolyHipster
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HolyHipster »

Thank you all for the answers and suggestions.

As of now, I think that most probably my GPU is "too recent" and nvidia driver/proton/wine and/or some other software may not yet be optimized for it in the best way.
I will look if I can do some things there and if I cannot find the reason I will probably wait for the next driver update and proton update.

I do not game, but I've been able to help others using tips for specific games I found on the protondb website. Here is the link for Kingdom Come Deliverance. It seems you are not the only one to notice a downward difference with a newer GPU.
This seems promising, thanks. Apparently, even on Windows, some users report the exact same problems with this game when switching to newer GPUs.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

HolyHipster wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:41 am Thank you all for the answers and suggestions.

As of now, I think that most probably my GPU is "too recent" and nvidia driver/proton/wine and/or some other software may not yet be optimized for it in the best way.
That's highly unlikely for the GPU and driver, and wine should have no issues itself, so you might want to take a note of where and when the performance lags and what's being used.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

HolyHipster,

Do you remember if you were you using the older Nvidia-450 driver with the GTX 1660 card?
https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/r ... /166910/15

Also, open the Nvidia Settings utility to the PowerMizer page and temporarily change the setting from Auto to Prefer Maximum Performance, and then test game performance.
HolyHipster
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HolyHipster »

I actually fixed it!! :mrgreen:

The Problem was found in Nvidia X Server Settings> Powermizer:

"Current PCIe Link Width: x2 "

Apparently, there was an issue with my PCIe Port. It just used 2 lanes, instead of all 16. Strangely, most things worked fine, but only in the more demanding games the problems started. Took me a long time to find that one out.

After taking the GPU out, cleaning the connectors with alcohol and putting it back in it worked! I also changed a setting called "pci gen" in Bios from "auto" to "gen3".

Thanks again @all
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

HolyHipster wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:45 pmI actually fixed it!! :mrgreen:
Glad to hear it is working.

Please go to your first post in this thread, click the pencil icon, and add [SOLVED] to the title so others know you are no longer seeking help on this issue.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”