SOLVED - Nvidia GeForce 6150SE integrated display adapter broken ?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BewilderedBob
Level 1
Level 1

SOLVED - Nvidia GeForce 6150SE integrated display adapter broken ?

Post by BewilderedBob »

After installing Mint 2.20 the current Nvidia driver apparently needs updating - EASIER SAID THAN DONE FOR A LINUX "NEWBIE". The current display adapter on my HP 505 minitower appears to be an integrated GeForce 6150SE (aka Nvidia C61). After reviewing the installation instructions provided by Nvidia it is obviously beyond my limited capability. So i'm willing to try Nouveau driver(s) if any easier but it appears that the proprietary Nvidia driver must be removed in order for the Nouveau to work properly - TRUE ??? If so, shd a novice risk doing this ?? If not, are there simple install instructions for a recovering Window user accustomed to a single mouse click to update a driver ?? Thanx.

Bewildered Bob
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dorsetUK
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Nvidia GeForce 6150SE integrated display adapter broken ?

Post by dorsetUK »

BewilderedBob wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:16 pm ... If not, are there simple install instructions ...

Bewildered Bob
Hi Bob.

If you launch Driver Manager, what does that say?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

BewilderedBob wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:16 pmAfter installing Mint 2.20 the current Nvidia driver apparently needs updating
- EASIER SAID THAN DONE FOR A LINUX "NEWBIE".
If there is an Nvidia driver available for your card, it should be available in Driver Manager. However, I just checked your card and Nvidia no longer supports it so there is no proprietary Nvidia driver available. It used to support it with the Nvidia-304 driver. The only driver available for it is the open-source nouveau driver. Did the open-source driver not automatically install when you installed Mint?

Please give us information about your install by entering this command in a terminal: inxi -Fxxxrz
Click </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply and then place your cursor between the code markers and paste the results of the command between the code markers [code]Results[/code]. This will let us know how Mint sees your hardware.

A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
BewilderedBob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BewilderedBob »

Hello: Thanx for the quick reply. Driver Mgr says that no addtl drivers are needed but the "freeze up" bug remains resulting in a strange pattern on monitor causing a reboot. In my humble novice opinion since the display adapter is ancient and since the bug is too severe for me to be the only "victim", the most logical cause is the old driver. But if the DM says otherwise I'm still bewildered Bob. What else (other than a separate VGA card) can be tried ??
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Are you sure all your monitor connections (both the end at the computer and the monitor) are secure? This may be a hardware issue and not a driver issue.

While inxi -Gx shows the graphics driver info, it sounds like we need to know more about your system than just the graphics driver. That is why Section 5 of READ: How To Get Help! requests all the information.

Did you test Mint in a live session before installing it? If so, did you install Mint in compatibility mode or regular mode?

It would be helpful to see a photo of the "strange screen pattern bug".
BewilderedBob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BewilderedBob »

Hello: Thanx again for quick reply.

Strange screen pattern cannot be captured b/c when it appears the system freezes.

Both ends of monitor cable appear to be tight.

A brief test with "live" disk appeared to be OK so LM20 was installed (mode unknown) but it works as advertised MOST of the time (99%)

inxi -Fxxxrz worked on 2nd try and shows that Nouveau driver is installed. Will COMPLETE display help ?

What else shd I do ??

still Bewildered Bob
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

BewilderedBob wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:49 pminxi -Fxxxrz worked on 2nd try and shows that Nouveau driver is installed. Will COMPLETE display help ?
Please post the output of inxi - Fxxxrz as requested.
Bewildered Bob
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Bewildered Bob »

The tech gremlins are loose again !! I was able to display results from <inxi -Fxxxrz> successfullyONCE but was unable to copy/paste. So tried again but on 2nd & 3rd attempt the system locked and screen display became bizzare before display could complete. Why is this happening to a nice guy like me ??

Bewildered Bob

ps: Windows only requires a single mouse click to update driver(s)
Bewildered Bob
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Bewildered Bob »

WHAT IS GOING ON ???? After the system locked up twice and had to be rebooted I entered cmd <inxi -G> (note NOT 'F') and got a valid screen display which could be copied but not pasted as requested. What am i doing wrong ?? Thanx.

still very Bewildered Bob
Bewildered Bob
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Bewildered Bob »

Why don't things work right for me THE FIRST TIME ??? I'm a recovering Windows user and deserve compassion and patience but LM is TUFF for a newbie !!

Below shd be results from <inxi -G> cmd which completed successfully even tho <inxi -Fxxxrz> locked up the system (2 out of 3 attempts)
Graphics: Device-1: NVIDIA C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] driver: nouveau v: kernel
Display: server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: nouveau unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1920x1200~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: NV4C v: 2.1 Mesa 20.2.6
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Bewildered Bob wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:30 amps: Windows only requires a single mouse click to update driver(s)
Your system is already running the most recent nouveau driver and you did not have to click at all.

Graphics:
Device-1: NVIDIA C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] driver: nouveau v: kernel
Display: server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: nouveau unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1920x1200~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: NV4C v: 2.1 Mesa 20.2.6
Bewildered Bob wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:52 am I'm a recovering Windows user and deserve compassion and patience but LM is TUFF for a newbie !!
You knew how to use Windows right away and it was easy? I doubt that.
Bewildered Bob wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:52 amBelow shd be results from <inxi -G> cmd which completed successfully even tho <inxi -Fxxxrz> locked up the system (2 out of 3 attempts)
Often that's a sign of a hardware and/or driver problem. Since there was no problem with with getting the graphics info, it seems the graphics driver is not a problem. My guess would be network drivers, however, without your data we do not know.
BewilderedBob wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:49 pmStrange screen pattern cannot be captured b/c when it appears the system freezes.
You can take a photograph of the screen and then upload it to an image-sharing site such as imgbb.
BewilderedBob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BewilderedBob »

This bug gets more curious with each attempt to resolve. I realize that Linux is very different from Windows but -

(1) why would cmd <inxi -G> complete normally but <inxi -Fxxxrz> cause system to lockup 4 out of 5 attempts ?? NOTE - cmd <inxi -b> also locks up system identical to <inxi -F> cmd (but <inxi -G> continues to display properly

(2) how will seeing resulting weird pattern on screen help fix bug ?? Do different bugs cause different screen patterns ?

(3) is it safe to assume that if other users were having similar problem a "bug report" would already have been submitted and hopefully fixed ?? If not, the most likely cause might be that the old HP integrated display adapter is not properly supported by Linux Mint. But if true neither the Nvidia driver nor the Nouveau driver can resolve. So what's a nice guy like me to do ??

very Bewildered Bob

NOTE # 2 - how about that ?? If a USB "thumb" drive is used to boot LM 20.2 all variations of cmd <inxi> appear to work correctly. But when the installed OS runs the cmd fails most of the time (only inxi -G works consistently). What is happening ??
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

BewilderedBob wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:46 pmThis bug gets more curious with each attempt to resolve.
So far, you have provided zero evidence there is a bug. A bug is a problem more than one person has. Just because you call it a bug does not mean it is a bug. We do not even know what problem you are having because you have not provided any images of the issue, nor have you provided a complete inxi so we can see how Mint views your system.
BewilderedBob wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:46 pm(2) how will seeing resulting weird pattern on screen help fix bug ?? Do different bugs cause different screen patterns ?
Different graphic issues produce different screen results.
BewilderedBob wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:46 pm If a USB "thumb" drive is used to boot LM 20.2 all variations of cmd <inxi> appear to work correctly.
Then post those results here. If you do not want to provide the requested inxi data so we can see how Mint views your system, then we are not able to help you.

My time is valuable and since there is, so far, zero evidence of a problem I will help those who do provide data which shows there are problems which need help solving.

Edited to remove extra word in last sentence.
Last edited by SMG on Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bewildered Bob
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Bewildered Bob »

Results of running cmd <inxi -Fxxxrz> as Sudo after booting from USB stick and running in COMPATIBILITY mode -

@mint:~$ sudo inxi -Fxxxrz
System:
Kernel: 5.4.0-74-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0
Desktop: Cinnamon 5.0.4 wm: muffin 5.0.1 dm: LightDM 1.30.0
Distro: Linux Mint 20.2 Uma base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal
Machine:
Type: Desktop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP 505B Microtower PC
v: N/A serial: <filter> Chassis: type: 3 serial: N/A
Mobo: PEGATRON model: 2A99 v: 6.01 serial: <filter>
BIOS: American Megatrends v: 6.10 date: 07/02/2010
CPU:
Topology: Dual Core model: AMD Athlon II X2 250 bits: 64 type: MCP
arch: K10 rev: 2 L1 cache: 256 KiB L2 cache: 2048 KiB
flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4a svm bogomips: 12054
Speed: 800 MHz min/max: 800/3000 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 800 2: 800
Graphics:
Device-1: NVIDIA C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] vendor: Hewlett-Packard
driver: N/A bus ID: 00:0d.0 chip ID: 10de:03d0
Display: server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: nouveau,vesa
unloaded: fbdev,modesetting resolution: 1024x768~N/A
OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 11.0.0 128 bits) v: 4.5 Mesa 20.2.6
compat-v: 3.1 direct render: Yes
Audio:
Device-1: NVIDIA MCP61 High Definition Audio vendor: Hewlett-Packard
driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:05.0 chip ID: 10de:03f0
Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-74-generic
Network:
Device-1: NVIDIA MCP61 Ethernet vendor: Hewlett-Packard
type: network bridge driver: forcedeth v: kernel port: e480
bus ID: 00:07.0 chip ID: 10de:03ef
IF: enp0s7 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:
Local Storage: total: 560.43 GiB used: 7.99 GiB (1.4%)
ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Samsung model: SSD 860 EVO 250GB size: 232.89 GiB
speed: 3.0 Gb/s serial: <filter> rev: 2B6Q scheme: MBR
ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Seagate model: ST3320418AS size: 298.09 GiB
speed: 3.0 Gb/s rotation: 7200 rpm serial: <filter> rev: HP22 temp: 32 C
scheme: GPT
ID-3: /dev/sdc type: USB vendor: SanDisk model: SanDisk Ultra
size: 29.45 GiB serial: <filter> rev: PMAP scheme: MBR
Partition:
ID-1: / size: 1.80 GiB used: 18.3 MiB (1.0%) fs: overlay source: ERR-102
ID-2: /var/log size: 26.88 GiB used: 7.97 GiB (29.7%) fs: ext4
dev: /dev/sdc3
Sensors:
System Temperatures: cpu: 29.0 C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Repos:
Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list
1: deb cdrom:[Linux Mint 20.2 _Uma_ - Release amd64 20210703]/ focal contrib main
Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list
1: deb http://packages.linuxmint.com uma main upstream import backport #id:linuxmint_main
2: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal main restricted universe multiverse
3: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates main restricted universe multiverse
4: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-backports main restricted universe multiverse
5: deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ focal-security main restricted universe multiverse
6: deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ focal partner
Info:
Processes: 170 Uptime: 1m Memory: 3.60 GiB used: 621.2 MiB (16.9%)
Init: systemd v: 245 runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 9.3.0 alt: 9
Shell: bash (sudo) v: 5.0.17 running in: gno

SCREEN SHOT TO FOLLOW
BewilderedBob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BewilderedBob »

URL for screen shot of monitor -

===============================
https://ibb.co/SyV6MrN
===============================
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Bewildered Bob wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:11 pm Results of running cmd <inxi -Fxxxrz> as Sudo after booting from USB stick and running in COMPATIBILITY mode -
The inxi command does not need sudo in order to run properly.

Compatibility mode purposely disables graphics and other drivers. That means there is no hardware driver for the Nvidia card and thus no hardware rendering.
Graphics:
Device-1: NVIDIA C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] vendor: Hewlett-Packard
driver: N/A bus ID: 00:0d.0 chip ID: 10de:03d0
unloaded: fbdev,modesetting resolution: 1024x768~N/A
OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 11.0.0 128 bits) v: 4.5 Mesa 20.2.6
compat-v: 3.1 direct render: Yes

Are you able to boot normally with the usb?

Given the age of your computer and its amount of memory, you may find the MATE or Xfce desktops to be a better match for your hardware. Cinnamon has higher requirements and if you would like to stay with it I recommend you turn off all the Effects in the Effects app. It may be Cinnamon is pushing the limits of your system's capabilities. That may be why the system appears to "freeze" or "lock up" when running inxi or when using the desktop. Memory/cpu limitations have also been known to manifest as graphics problems. Producing graphics is an intensive computing operation.
BewilderedBob wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:37 pm URL for screen shot of monitor -
My first thought on seeing that was to wonder if the system/graphics card is overheating. There is a section in inxi for temperatures, but because the graphics hardware driver was not loaded, the gpu temperature will not be listed.

You might have better outcomes using the Xfce desktop rather than Cinnamon. However, turn off all the Effects in Cinnamon to see if that helps.
BewilderedBob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BewilderedBob »

Thanx for the quick reply. Plz explain why -

(1) "driver" appears in 2 lines in Graphics section - "DEVICE" shows 'n/a' but "DISPLAY" is Display: server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: nouveau,vesa
(remember that Nouveau driver has been loaded which may mean that proprietary Nvidia driver is really N/A since it was displaced by INCOMPATIBLE Nouveau)

(2) when Cinnamon is run booted from USB stick (in COMPATIBILITY MODE) instead of HD cmd <inxi> works as advertised - what does compatibilty mode do that plain vanilla mode does not ???

still Bewildered Bob

ps: how is "effect" loaded ??
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

BewilderedBob wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:58 am Thanx for the quick reply. Plz explain why -

(1) "driver" appears in 2 lines in Graphics section - "DEVICE" shows 'n/a' but "DISPLAY" is Display: server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: nouveau,vesa
There are two different different drivers. One is the hardware driver (the device driver) and the other is a display driver. The hardware driver needs to be installed for proper functionality of the display rendering. I have separated the graphics info so you can see two of the three sections. (The third section is the renderer and needs a device driver to work properly.)

Code: Select all

Device-1: NVIDIA C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: N/A bus ID: 00:0d.0 chip ID: 10de:03d0

BewilderedBob wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:58 am (remember that Nouveau driver has been loaded which may mean that proprietary Nvidia driver is really N/A since it was displaced by INCOMPATIBLE Nouveau)
No, the nouveau open-source device driver is not loaded. That is why there is N/A on the device driver line.

The proprietary Nvidia driver is never loaded by Mint because it is proprietary and the open-source Mint product can not legally load it. If it is available, you personally have to load it using Driver Manager. However, It is not available for your gpu.

Nouveau is open-source and it is compatible with your Nvidia hardware. I have no idea why you are claiming it is incompatible.
BewilderedBob wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:58 am(2) when Cinnamon is run booted from USB stick (in COMPATIBILITY MODE) instead of HD cmd <inxi> works as advertised - what does compatibilty mode do that plain vanilla mode does not ???
I already mentioned that compatibility mode disables graphics and other drivers. In essence, you are getting "less functionality" when you use compatibility mode instead of using regular mode.

BewilderedBob wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:58 amps: how is "effect" loaded ??
Click Menu and open the Effects app. It opens on the Enable Effects screen. Turn all the options off (slider is on the left when they are off).
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

SMG wrote: Given the age of your computer and its amount of memory, you may find the MATE or Xfce desktops to be a better match for your hardware.
Your integrated Nvidia GPU is a very old and too underpowered to be running Cinnamon. It is given a rating of 31 on a scale of 0 to 26581:
https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/low_end_gpus.html
Bewildered Bob
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Bewildered Bob »

Thanx for the explanation abt under-powered INTEGRATED GeForce 6150 SE adapter. Since it makes no $ sense to install a video card into an old PC, do you agree that another distro (Mate, etc) may be wise software alternative ?? If so, which one shd i try first ??

Bob

ps: removing ALL "effects" seems to have corrected the problem - Cinnamon now works as advertised (so far)

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”