Linux Mint 20.1 - no sound over HDMI

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MartinT
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint 20.1 - no sound over HDMI

Post by MartinT »

Hello,

Linux Mint 20.1
Kernel 5.4.0-81

Sound is not played via HDMI cable. My gpu is Radeon.
I tried it on windows on the same machine and it is working.
So it is not a hardware issue.

When I open pulse audio I see all HDMI profiles are marked as unplugged/unavailable.

No Idea how to fix this issue.

Thank you for any help
Attachments
pulse-configuration2.jpg
pulse-output-devices.jpg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bc_cable
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 20.1 - no sound over HDMI

Post by bc_cable »

Same issue, also with a Radeon HDMI output.

The Audio worked before I upgraded from Mint 20 to 20.1
Although with 20 I needed to configure/activate the driver it every time I rebooted using a command (pactl set-card-profile 0 output:hdmi-stereo) or the PulseAudio tool.

If anyone has details on how to correct this issue it would be appreciated, otherwise I may have to rebuild back to version 20 until a patch/fix is available.
MartinT
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MartinT »

this command doesn't have any effect for me :(
Hatori
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Hatori »

Hi Martin,

I'm not claiming this as a fix but I have linux Mint 20 and a Dell laptop with an external HDMI port. When i plug in a HDMI cable, mint detects that and offers me the option to set which monitor output i'd like. If i set an output that includes the HDMI port i also see there is no HDMI audio output in the audio mixer, so i perform the following terminal command:

"pulseaudio -k" (not including the quotes)

then open the audio mixer which has now restarted. Navigate to the output selection and I then see that the HDMI2 output is now active and available for selection, even at the same time as my laptop analogue audio output (which is defeatable). I have to do this every time i switch between that external HDMI video output and the main laptop screen. If i dont output the video, i cant send the audio out to that HDMI output. I must enable the HDMI video out for this to work, or else i can never get HDMI audio out, regardless of killing pulseaudio.

Try this and see if it works for you?

--edited for typo
MartinT
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MartinT »

thank you for reply.

I tried it. But unfortunately no effect.
Everything is still unplugged :(
frank84
Level 2
Level 2

Post by frank84 »

Hello MartinT,

Since you mentioned that you are also running Windows on the same machine, [if you haven't tried this already]:

You might want to try turning off "Fast Startup" in Windows, followed by a relatively long shutdown (and you may also need to restart the computer a second time) to possibly get sound over HDMI working in LM.

You can find a lot of good tips like this regarding troubleshooting sound issues on this web page which is linked from MrEen's LM Forum profile page.

Good luck getting your sound going!
MartinT
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MartinT »

Hello,

thanks for hint. But I have windows 7, not 10, and I didn't find there any fast startup possibility.

best regards

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”