Screen Glitch - Horizontal lines and color blotches[SOLVED]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mistermaxis
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Screen Glitch - Horizontal lines and color blotches

Post by mistermaxis »

Try booting with the Ethernet cord disconnected from the computer. Just as a test.
I did, but it's the same result. Although sometimes it prints the message over and over and sometimes it just has a cursor blinking and nothing else.
mistermaxis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mistermaxis »

Alright, I will do that and post an update with the results.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

mistermaxis wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:24 pm
Try booting with the Ethernet cord disconnected from the computer. Just as a test.
I did, but it's the same result. Although sometimes it prints the message over and over and sometimes it just has a cursor blinking and nothing else.
This is an older thread Need advice on an AMD CPU, so I am not sure if the tip about adding a kernel parameter to help graphic glitches still applies.

Let us know if the Edge ISO boots for you and if not, we can try the kernel parameter.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
mistermaxis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mistermaxis »

I'd like to add that I tried to install the amdgpu from the amd website again as a quick fix but now it doesn't work no more. It boots me into fallback mode even when I try to boot regularly and the drivers don't show up.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

mistermaxis wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:40 pmI'd like to add that I tried to install the amdgpu from the amd website again
There are no Linux amdgpu drivers for your 3200G available on the AMD website. There are only Windows drivers available. The only Linux drivers available for your system are the ones provided in the Linux kernel.

The Linux drivers available on the AMD website are for systems with a separate GPU. Your system has an APU which is integrated with the CPU and is not separate.
mistermaxis wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:40 pm as a quick fix but now it doesn't work no more. It boots me into fallback mode even when I try to boot regularly and the drivers don't show up.
Were you able to boot to a live session of Mint using the Edge ISO?
mistermaxis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mistermaxis »

Yeah I see now that they never worked in the first place. But since I installed them just as I changed to the new kernel I and the screen glitches went away I thought that was the reason, but it was most likely the kernel change that did the trick.

I was busy today but I already have the USB ready with the Edge ISO and I'm going to try it out now.
mistermaxis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mistermaxis »

So I am on the live Edge right now. This is my report

Code: Select all

System:    Kernel: 5.11.0-22-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: N/A Desktop: Cinnamon 5.0.4 
           wm: muffin dm: LightDM Distro: Linux Mint 20.2 Uma base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal 
Machine:   Type: Desktop System: Gigabyte product: AB350M-DS3H V2 v: N/A serial: <filter> 
           Mobo: Gigabyte model: AB350M-DS3H V2-CF v: x.x serial: <filter> 
           UEFI: American Megatrends v: F51 date: 08/03/2020 
CPU:       Topology: Quad Core model: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G with Radeon Vega Graphics bits: 64 
           type: MCP arch: Zen+ rev: 1 L2 cache: 2048 KiB 
           flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm bogomips: 28746 
           Speed: 1550 MHz min/max: 1400/3600 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1548 2: 3865 3: 1553 
           4: 1547 
Graphics:  Device-1: AMD Picasso vendor: Gigabyte driver: amdgpu v: kernel bus ID: 06:00.0 
           chip ID: 1002:15d8 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: amdgpu,ati unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa 
           resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: AMD RAVEN (DRM 3.40.0 5.11.0-22-generic LLVM 11.0.0) 
           v: 4.6 Mesa 20.2.6 direct render: Yes
Although the first time I booted it showed the LM logo like it was booting but it got stuck there for a couple of minutes. I rebooted and went for an integrity check. It said that it found 1 error and that I might find errors and then proceeded to boot normally to where I am now.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

This all looks good.

Graphics:
Device-1: AMD Picasso vendor: Gigabyte driver: amdgpu v: kernel bus ID: 06:00.0
chip ID: 1002:15d8
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: amdgpu,ati unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa
resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: AMD RAVEN (DRM 3.40.0 5.11.0-22-generic LLVM 11.0.0)
v: 4.6 Mesa 20.2.6 direct render: Yes

Does the onscreen image look good? No problems like in your original post?
mistermaxis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mistermaxis »

So far so good thankfully. I think if I go through with the installation it should work fine.

I would like to ask just in case even if it is most likely not possible, if there is maybe a way to put whatever is in the ISO into my current installation. I would really like to avoid the hassle of downloading and configuring everything again :D

Maybe there is a configuration file or something that I can store away so that I can go back to it after I do the installation?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

mistermaxis wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:53 pmI would like to ask just in case even if it is most likely not possible, if there is maybe a way to put whatever is in the iso into my current installation. I would really like to avoid the hassle of downloading and configuring everything again :D
Because your install has a separate home directory and you are re-installing the same version, I think you can save files to save time. Actually, because you have a separate home directory, you can re-use the home directory you have by doing a custom install. That home directory should have a lot of your configuration files.

The download and install will have to be done again, but you might be able to use the Backup Tool to generate a list of what you have installed. Save that file and then reload it after the install and I understand it will download the packages for you. I know there are posts about using that app, but I do not have any links handy.

So the answer is yes, but my tired brain says it's time for bed so that is as much info as I will give now. ;)
mistermaxis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mistermaxis »

That is okay haha. It is great news anyway. I will look up some information about that and start with the installation, although probably I will wait until tomorrow hehe. Thank you very much for the information and have a good night.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

mistermaxis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mistermaxis »

Thank you so much! :) I'll install it now and see how it works.

I'd like to ask about the backup tool because even though it's listed most applications I've installed, Telegram and Slack don't show up on that list. Is that because they're snaps?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

mistermaxis wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:25 amI'd like to ask about the backup tool because even though it's listed most applications I've installed, Telegram and Slack don't show up on that list. Is that because they're snaps?
I do not know, but that might be why.
mistermaxis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mistermaxis »

Okay so I reinstalled the OS following the instructions (keeping the /home directory untouched) and I have to say it was seamless. I can barely tell it is a clean installation. Even the custom PPA sourced app that didn't install automatically will retain all the settings once I install them manually. That's so cool, I'm really satisfied with the process.

Other than that the screen glitches are gone and everything is working great, except the Ethernet is not working. The wireless connection is working fine though.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

mistermaxis wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:46 amOther than that the screen glitches are gone and everything is working great, except the Ethernet is not working. The wireless connection is working fine though.
Glad to hear the graphics on your "refreshed" system are looking good.

Since the topic of the thread seems resolved, please go to your first post in this thread, click the pencil icon, and add [SOLVED] to the title so others know you are no longer seeking help on this issue.

If you need to get the Ethernet working, please create a new thread in the Networking section of the forum.
mistermaxis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mistermaxis »

Yes, for sure. I will do that. Thank you very much for your help and explanation. I really appreciate it :)

Yes, I might look around to see if there's a solution already out there for the Ethernet. Otherwise, I'll start a new thread with that issue.

Thanks again for your help <3

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”