Specific sound outputs, to multiple monitors?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Adam_Halverson
Level 1
Level 1

Specific sound outputs, to multiple monitors?

Post by Adam_Halverson »

Relevant system information:

PC: Dell XPS 13 9305 Laptop
(https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-la ... n9305euwds)
(This laptop PC is new - I received it less than a week ago - the regular edition of LM 20.2 Cinnamon did not work well with the hardware, so the Edge edition was required. It's worth mentioning that it's a touchscreen laptop.)
Cinnamon Version: 5.0.5
Linux Kernel: 5.11.0-27-generic x86_64
Processor: Quad Core 11th Gen Intel© Core™ i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz × 4
Graphics Card: 02.0 VGA compatible controller, Intel® Iris Xe Graphics

I'll try to be as concise and straightforward as possible - let me know if any additional information or clarification is needed.

I connected the aforementioned laptop (Display 1) to two external monitors (Display 2 and Display 3), both via HDMI cable. I would like to be able to play different videos on each of those external monitors and also have the sound specific to each of those videos play exclusively on those respective monitors. The problem is, I can only choose one of those displays for sound output, and that display will play audio from all three displays combined, which I obviously do not want.

e.g.:

Display 1: Laptop, no video is playing - Display 1 is not playing any audio at all
Display 2: HDMI #1, video A is playing - Display 2 is playing audio exclusively and only from video A
Display 3: HDMI #2, video B is playing - Display 3 is playing audio exclusively and only from video B

Is this specific sound output configuration possible?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Specific sound outputs, to multiple monitors?

Post by SMG »

In the Release Notes for Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon under the Sound and microphone issues it suggests:
If you're facing issues with your microphone or your sound output, please install "pavucontrol".

This will add "PulseAudio Volume Control" t o your menu. This application has more configuration options than the default volume control.
Maybe the additional configuration options will help you with this issue.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Adam_Halverson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Adam_Halverson »

SMG wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:35 pm In the Release Notes for Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon under the Sound and microphone issues it suggests:
If you're facing issues with your microphone or your sound output, please install "pavucontrol".

This will add "PulseAudio Volume Control" t o your menu. This application has more configuration options than the default volume control.
Maybe the additional configuration options will help you with this issue.
Thank you for the reply; unfortunately, this did not resolve the issue.

I searched around for potential solutions; however, it appears that a resolution for this issue may be far more complicated than I expected.

I'll post a follow-up comment here in case I'm successful, but I am not optimistic that I will be.

P.S. In addition to "pavucontrol," I also installed "paprefs"
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”