Anyone Had Problems With NVidia 470 Driver in Mint 20.2

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
John_316
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone Had Problems With NVidia 470 Driver in Mint 20.2

Post by John_316 »

Hi,
Installed the NVidia driver and Firefox was set to Restore previous session when I reopened it but it didn't, it just opened to the home page and I was having problems getting it to just open Changed to xserver-xorg-video-nouveau and it not only solved that problem but some others as well!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Anyone Had Problems With NVidia 470 Driver in Mint 20.2

Post by SMG »

John_316 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:16 am Hi,
Installed the NVidia driver and Firefox was set to Restore previous session when I reopened it but it didn't, it just opened to the home page and I was having problems getting it to just open Changed to xserver-xorg-video-nouveau and it not only solved that problem but some others as well!
Rather than this being an Nvidia-related problem, it seems this may be a Firefox issue.

Check the discussion and links in this thread SOLVED - Firefox 92: Suddenly See-Through.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
John_316
Level 1
Level 1

Post by John_316 »

SMG wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:23 am
John_316 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:16 am Hi,
Rather than this being an Nvidia-related problem, it seems this may be a Firefox issue.

Check the discussion and links in this thread SOLVED - Firefox 92: Suddenly See-Through.
Thanks for that, read the post, was defiantly the NVidia driver. I installed Brave and Opera to have some sort of browsing and they failed in different ways. Rolled back the the driver and all browser working great, go back to NVidia driver and all the problems come back again.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

John_316 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:35 pmThanks for that, read the post, was defiantly the NVidia driver. I installed Brave and Opera to have some sort of browsing and they failed in different ways. Rolled back the the driver and all browser working great, go back to NVidia driver and all the problems come back again.
Does that mean you did not try disabling the global FXAA setting on the nVidia driver to see if that worked?
John_316
Level 1
Level 1

Post by John_316 »

SMG wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:40 pm
John_316 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:35 pmThanks for that, read the post, was defiantly the NVidia driver. I installed Brave and Opera to have some sort of browsing and they failed in different ways. Rolled back the the driver and all browser working great, go back to NVidia driver and all the problems come back again.
Does that mean you did not try disabling the global FXAA setting on the nVidia driver to see if that worked?
That did not work, had to roll back to the open source driver but I thank you for the sugestion.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

John_316 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:43 amThat did not work, had to roll back to the open source driver but I thank you for the sugestion.
Thank you for the feedback.

Did you check on the Firefox community help pages to see if others might be having this issue? Firefox has made quite a few code changes in recent versions including how one can get access to the 'restore previous session' option.

It just seems quite odd for a graphics driver to affect something in Firefox which does not seem graphics related (but I do not understand all of the code, so it could be).
John_316
Level 1
Level 1

Post by John_316 »

SMG wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:18 am
John_316 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:43 amThat did not work, had to roll back to the open source driver but I thank you for the sugestion.
Thank you for the feedback.

Did you check on the Firefox community help pages to see if others might be having this issue? Firefox has made quite a few code changes in recent versions including how one can get access to the 'restore previous session' option.

It just seems quite odd for a graphics driver to affect something in Firefox which does not seem graphics related (but I do not understand all of the code, so it could be).
From what I could research no else had that problem in Firefox. I installed Brave and Opera as I thought a temporary work around but was having some really bad problems with them but when I switched to the open source graphics card driver all 3 browsers problems were fixed. I am going to do a bit more research on it now!
akred3
Level 2
Level 2

Post by akred3 »

Hello everyone,

I noticed also issues when I click on a browser window on fullscreen for example.
If I have another window behind it, it will select this window behind instead of the interaction I want to make on browser (tested on Chromium and Firefox)

I don't know if it can help, but I share my experience since this update.
donten
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donten »

I'm currently running Noveau on all my systems due to the Nvidia driver completely flaking out...Hey , it runs good, no complaints! Noveau that is :lol:

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”