nvidia 340 drivers freezing Mint 20.2?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cubytus
Level 1
Level 1

nvidia 340 drivers freezing Mint 20.2?

Post by Cubytus »

Hi to all,

I've found an old Acer Aspire AX3400 featuring a GeForce 9200 inside (label says) (although Mint detects it as GeForce 8200 - First minor issue. In both cases, the correct driver should be version 340). The reason I want to use the proprietary driver is two-fold: 1- using the nouveau driver, my screen resolution, though standard (1280x1024), isn't detectected nor made available. Nothing xrandr can't correct, though, but the more serious is 2- Firefox freezing quickly on most websites from lack of hardware acceleration. So basically, a missing video driver translates as a non-working browser.

This is my first try with Mint, and my first time using a proprietary driver on Linux since at least 12 years, so I completely lost sight of how things are done. I still remember the pain and time lost to get a working ATI driver back then.

At first, I tried to install the recommended driver through the driver manager (can't remember the version), but on reboot, I got the famous black screen. Upon closer examination, it turns out that the computer was frozen and unresponsive, even when requesting a text-based login.

I tried to follow the instructions described here, purging the faulty driver, but they ended up with an unusable 640x480 resolution and still no hardware acceleration.

And since resolution is so low and browser is broken, I can't easily post logs from this computer.

Any help appreciated
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: nvidia 340 drivers freezing Mint 20.2?

Post by SMG »

Cubytus wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:53 amI've found an old Acer Aspire AX3400 featuring a GeForce 9200 inside (label says) (although Mint detects it as GeForce 8200 - First minor issue. In both cases, the correct driver should be version 340). The reason I want to use the proprietary driver is two-fold: 1- using the nouveau driver, my screen resolution, though standard (1280x1024), isn't detectected nor made available. Nothing xrandr can't correct, though, but the more serious is 2- Firefox freezing quickly on most websites from lack of hardware acceleration. So basically, a missing video driver translates as a non-working browser.
Welcome to the forum, Cubytus.

If the nouveau driver installs on your computer, then it is not "missing" a video driver, so your statement is not quite correct. The open-source nouveau driver is a video driver.

You have not mentioned what version of Mint you installed, so I do not know if the directions you used to remove the Nvidia driver were appropriate for your system. Please use your installation usb and boot to a live session of Mint to give us an idea of the hardware you are using and how Mint sees it as per Section 5 of READ: How To Get Help!.

Please give us information about your install by entering this command in a terminal: inxi -Fxxxrz
Click </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply and then place your cursor between the code markers and paste the results of the command between the code markers [code]Results[/code]. This will let us know how Mint sees your hardware.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Cubytus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cubytus »

Hello,

that's correct, I thought "missing acceleration" and mistyped "missing video driver".

As for

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxxxrz
output, from the live USB:

System:
  Kernel: 5.4.0-74-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0 
  Desktop: Cinnamon 5.0.4 wm: muffin 5.0.1 dm: LightDM 1.30.0 
  Distro: Linux Mint 20.2 Uma base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal 
Machine:
  Type: Desktop Mobo: Acer model: Aspire X3400 serial: <filter> BIOS: AMI 
  v: P01-B1 date: 04/02/2010 
CPU:
  Topology: Dual Core model: AMD Athlon II X2 215 bits: 64 type: MCP 
  arch: K10 rev: 2 L2 cache: 1024 KiB 
  flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4a svm bogomips: 10800 
  Speed: 800 MHz min/max: 800/2700 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 800 2: 800 
Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA C77 [GeForce 8200] vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI 
  driver: nouveau v: kernel bus ID: 02:00.0 chip ID: 10de:084b 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa 
  resolution: 1024x768~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: NVAA v: 3.3 Mesa 20.2.6 direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: NVIDIA MCP72XE/MCP72P/MCP78U/MCP78S High Definition Audio 
  vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
  bus ID: 00:07.0 chip ID: 10de:0774 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-74-generic 
Network:
  Device-1: NVIDIA MCP77 Ethernet vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI 
  driver: forcedeth v: kernel port: c880 bus ID: 00:0a.0 chip ID: 10de:0760 
  IF: enp0s10 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 190.07 GiB used: 23.9 MiB (0.0%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD2000JD-00HBB0 
  size: 186.31 GiB speed: 1.5 Gb/s serial: <filter> rev: 2D08 temp: 33 C 
  scheme: MBR 
  ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: Kingston model: DataTraveler 2.0 
  size: 3.76 GiB serial: <filter> rev: 1.00 scheme: MBR 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 867.2 MiB used: 18.2 MiB (2.1%) fs: overlay source: ERR-102 
  ID-2: /var/log size: 1.69 GiB used: 5.6 MiB (0.3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb3 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 31.5 C mobo: N/A gpu: nouveau temp: 64 C 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Repos:
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list 
  1: deb cdrom:[Linux Mint 20.2 _Uma_ - Release amd64 20210703]/ focal contrib main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list 
  1: deb http://packages.linuxmint.com uma main upstream import backport #id:linuxmint_main
  2: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal main restricted universe multiverse
  3: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates main restricted universe multiverse
  4: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-backports main restricted universe multiverse
  5: deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ focal-security main restricted universe multiverse
  6: deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ focal partner
Info:
  Processes: 185 Uptime: 1m Memory: 1.69 GiB used: 629.4 MiB (36.3%) 
  Init: systemd v: 245 runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 9.3.0 alt: 9 Shell: bash 
  v: 5.0.17 running in: gnome-terminal inxi: 3.0.38 
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Cubytus wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:32 pmthat's correct, I thought "missing acceleration" and mistyped "missing video driver".
If Cinnamon is giving you a message about no hardware acceleration then it sounds like you may be running into an issue which this solution [SOLVED] NVIDIA driver failing sometimes on boot ("no hardware acceleration") might address. The advice roblm recommends in the second post applies even if you use Xfce or MATE.

With LM20.2, the nouveau driver usually loads by default as you can see in your info.
Graphics:
driver: nouveau v: kernel bus ID: 02:00.0 chip ID: 10de:084b
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa
resolution: 1024x768~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: NVAA v: 3.3 Mesa 20.2.6 direct render: Yes

I would have thought if you removed the Nvidia driver then the nouveau would have loaded, but maybe something else happened.

When installing the Nvidia-340, I strongly recommend to install all Mint updates before installing the Nvidia driver from Driver Manager. Feedback I have received from others indicates a much better chance of success when doing that.

I would also strongly recommend you do not use Cinnamon on a laptop with only 2GB of memory. That is likely the reason for the problems you are experiencing with the Firefox. I suggest using Xfce. I would also recommend you make sure to have a separate swap partition on your install on this laptop.
Info:
Processes: 185 Uptime: 1m Memory: 1.69 GiB used: 629.4 MiB (36.3%)
Init: systemd v: 245 runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 9.3.0 alt: 9 Shell: bash
v: 5.0.17 running in: gnome-terminal inxi: 3.0.38

If you feel you must use Cinnamon, go to the Effects app and turn all of them off (sliders to the left).
Cubytus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cubytus »

Thanks for the detailed answer, SMG.I'll try first with Xfce, hopefully later this week.

However, I should say that, if working, I wouldn't use this computer before maxing out its RAM at 8GB. I also may upgrade the CPU, but won't be installing a Phenom as the TDP is probably too much for the stock heatsink. As for storage, I would keep the spinning drive for now, until I can afford to get a larger SSD for my main computer (already 9 years old) and move them around in different machines, upgrading them in the process. Briefly, the goal was to get this found computer in a working state ASAP, and upgrade later.

In that case, would Cinammon be a reasonable option, or should I stay with Xfce?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Cubytus wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:12 pmHowever, I should say that, if working, I wouldn't use this computer before maxing out its RAM at 8GB. ...In that case, would Cinammon be a reasonable option, or should I stay with Xfce?
Cinnamon would be a reasonable option with that amount of memory. Mint installs a default swap file, so you may not need a swap partition if you have 8GB. Whether or not it might be needed would depend upon your intended usage.
Cubytus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cubytus »

Some news:
I reinstalled Mint Xfce 20.2 from scratch, and proceeded on installing the updates, then the Nvidia driver through the Driver manager, then applied roblm's tweak.

On reboot, I didn't get a black screen, but an apparently normal desktop, except… There was only one black background, the mouse pointer could move (rather jerkily), but clicks wouldn't register.

So, issue still unsolved :(
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Cubytus wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:17 pmI reinstalled Mint Xfce 20.2 from scratch, and proceeded on installing the updates, then the Nvidia driver through the Driver manager, then applied roblm's tweak.
Did you reboot before installing the Nvidia driver (and after installing the rest of the updates)? That would make sure the latest kernel was installed before installing the Nvidia driver.
Cubytus wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:17 pmOn reboot, I didn't get a black screen, but an apparently normal desktop, except… There was only one black background, the mouse pointer could move (rather jerkily), but clicks wouldn't register.
Can you boot with nomodeset so you can get into the system and get a journalctl output? I am not familiar with the output you are seeing, but maybe there is something in the journal which might indicate what happened.

If you can get in, run the following:
journalctl -rb -1 | nc termbin.com 9999
It will return with a url address that you should post in your next reply.

That command prints the journal log information of the prior boot cycle (the one with the black background) in reverse order (so the reason for the graphics issue should be near the top) and sends it to termbin.
Cubytus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cubytus »

SMG wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:29 pmDid you reboot before installing the Nvidia driver (and after installing the rest of the updates)? That would make sure the latest kernel was installed before installing the Nvidia driver.
Yes. I made sure to reboot each time it was prompted, i.e. after the first batch of updates, then a second time after installing Nvidia's driver.
Can you boot with nomodeset so you can get into the system and get a journalctl output? I am not familiar with the output you are seeing, but maybe there is something in the journal which might indicate what happened.

If you can get in, run the following:
It will return with a url address that you should post in your next reply.

That command prints the journal log information of the prior boot cycle (the one with the black background) in reverse order (so the reason for the graphics issue should be near the top) and sends it to termbin.
I can't find a way to reliably enter GRUB, so couldn't try the

nomodeset
option. What I did was let it boot as usual, then quickly switched over to a text-based tty, and logged in there. I then run the command, and got this result:
https://termbin.com/wji91.

Then I switched back to the GUI tty, tried to logged in, and display got corrupted, keyboard unresponsive.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Cubytus wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:16 pmI can't find a way to reliably enter GRUB, so couldn't try the

nomodeset
option.
For future reference: Go to the Release Notes for Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon and scroll to section on 'Solving freezes during the boot sequence' for instructions on using nomodeset. While the link is for Cinnamon, the process is the same for all three desktop environments.

I see the Nvidia module load, but then later there is this message:

sep 22 21:57:44 Aspire-X3400 kernel: NVRM: Your system is not currently configured to drive a VGA console
sep 22 21:57:44 Aspire-X3400 kernel: NVRM: on the primary VGA device. The NVIDIA Linux graphics driver
sep 22 21:57:44 Aspire-X3400 kernel: NVRM: requires the use of a text-mode VGA console. Use of other console
sep 22 21:57:44 Aspire-X3400 kernel: NVRM: drivers including, but not limited to, vesafb, may result in
sep 22 21:57:44 Aspire-X3400 kernel: NVRM: corruption and stability problems, and is not supported.
Then a little later I see this error which is probably because of the prior message.

sep 22 21:57:51 Aspire-X3400 systemd-udevd[352]: NVIDIA ACPI Video Driver: Process '/bin/systemctl stop --no-block nvidia-persistenced' failed with exit code 5.
At the present time, I do not know what might be causing that original message. The information I found seemed to indicate that message would have happened on a computer with UEFI and disabling CSM (Compatibility Support Module) would be a way to address it. Your inxi output is showing your computer has a BIOS and not UEFI.

I also found this thread ArchLinux: [SOLVED] Nvidia VGA Console warning of someone with a GeForce 8800GT who was able to get around the messages with kernel parameters. However, not only is that an older thread, the person did not mention getting screen corruption like you are seeing, so there may be other differences we might need to consider.

Let us know if your computer definitely has a BIOS and not a UEFI.
Cubytus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cubytus »

Hi SMG,

in the Setup screen, I turned off "Quiet boot". Though still unsure if this is UEFI or BIOS, the Setup menu always refers to BIOS or CMOS. There's no mention of UEFI or "Legacy BIOS mode". Given the age of this computer and that it was a budget unit, I doubt it would have UEFI by default.

Could be relevant: according to Acer's website, the BIOS latest version is P01.B2, while my unit sports P01.B1. Also, I never understood why, each time I power-cycle the unit, the DVD drive ejects its tray before retracting it again, while empty. Except for Quiet boot, all options are the default ones. If you think the BIOS firmware could be buggy, I could try to re-flash it, but first I would need to have Windows installed (Or try a WindowsPE).

First run:
Then I accessed the GRUB menu by repeatedly tapping [Shift] key. I assume that the key finally registered thanks to the slightly slower boot. I replaced "quiet splash" option by "nomodeset", as shown in the video, then proceeded on booting with [F10].

By letting it boot, I first got a text tty, then the Nvidia logo briefly displayed before showing the GUI login screen. I was able to type my password, but then saw screen corruption and unresponsive keyboard and clicks, as described before.

Rebooted in text mode, here is the result for

:
https://termbin.com/wx1o. Same error as before.

Second run:
I then tried adding the

video=vesa:off vga=normal
to the GRUB menu entry describing "Linux Mint 20.2 Xfce […]" (NOT the recovery mode) to the line:

linux /boot/vmlinuz-5.4.0-74-generic root=UUID=XXXXXXX ro nomodeset video=vesa:off vga=normal
Rebooted, got a slightly different result: corrupted display, then a black screen.

Rebooted again in text mode, captured the result of

:
https://termbin.com/rb5k.

Thoughts?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Cubytus wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:04 pmin the Setup screen, I turned off "Quiet boot".
I do not know what that might be unless it refers to not showing any messages onscreen if there are messages during boot?
Cubytus wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:04 pmThough still unsure if this is UEFI or BIOS, the Setup menu always refers to BIOS or CMOS. There's no mention of UEFI or "Legacy BIOS mode". Given the age of this computer and that it was a budget unit, I doubt it would have UEFI by default.
That was my guess as well. Now that I think about it, UEFI version is usually mentioned in the journal and yours just indicates BIOS.
Cubytus wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:04 pmCould be relevant: according to Acer's website, the BIOS latest version is P01.B2, while my unit sports P01.B1.
Maybe. Even now Acer is not real good about indicating what is different in a BIOS version, so going back that far I suggest doing some web searches. That might be more likely to give you an idea of the difference between the two and whether it might be worth going through the trouble to do--presuming you can even get a copy of it. Sometimes those older ones are no longer available. I think Acer does/did have a community forum and maybe someone asked about those BIOS versions on it.
Cubytus wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:04 pmAlso, I never understood why, each time I power-cycle the unit, the DVD drive ejects its tray before retracting it again, while empty.
This is a known current bug. cd/dvd tray opens and closes during boot after kernel update.

First run does look the same as before. This time I did notice these lines (which I may have missed in the first journal).

sep 23 14:41:45 Aspire-X3400 systemd-modules-load[309]: Inserted module 'nvidia'
sep 23 14:41:45 Aspire-X3400 systemd-modules-load[309]: Failed to find module 'nvidia-drm'
sep 23 14:41:45 Aspire-X3400 systemd-modules-load[309]: Failed to find module 'nvidia-modeset'
Those modules are needed for nvidia to run.

Second run you noticed a difference so I presume the kernel parameters did go into effect, however, I do not see them listed in the command line in either of the two places it is normally listed. :?

sep 23 14:49:32 Aspire-X3400 kernel: Command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.4.0-86-generic root=UUID=cefef090-03f5-4ec7-91c6-fb8773c2e1d9 ro quiet splash
sep 23 14:49:32 Aspire-X3400 kernel: Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.4.0-86-generic root=UUID=cefef090-03f5-4ec7-91c6-fb8773c2e1d9 ro quiet splash
This second one has the same NVRM messages and same udevd messages as in the earlier journal.

Are you having graphics issues when you use the nouveau driver? There are quite a few people who use nouveau.
Cubytus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cubytus »

That's correct about "Quiet boot". Turns out tapping [Shift] works even better when "Quick boot" is disabled, too. And yes, graphics issues (standard resolution unavailable, distorted display (though technically working) with nouveau were the first sign something was amiss, confirmed when Firefox would refuse to load websites from lack of acceleration.

Now,
Third run
I made sure I edited /boot/grub/grub.cfg in tty1, and again on reboot.

Current /boot/grub/grub.cfg: (a really long file, took me more than one try to find the correct line!)

#
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
#
# It is automatically generated by grub-mkconfig using templates
# from /etc/grub.d and settings from /etc/default/grub
#

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header ###
if [ -s $prefix/grubenv ]; then
  set have_grubenv=true
  load_env
fi
if [ "${initrdfail}" = 2 ]; then
   set initrdfail=
elif [ "${initrdfail}" = 1 ]; then
   set next_entry="${prev_entry}"
   set prev_entry=
   save_env prev_entry
   if [ "${next_entry}" ]; then
      set initrdfail=2
   fi
fi
if [ "${next_entry}" ] ; then
   set default="${next_entry}"
   set next_entry=
   save_env next_entry
   set boot_once=true
else
   set default="0"
fi

if [ x"${feature_menuentry_id}" = xy ]; then
  menuentry_id_option="--id"
else
  menuentry_id_option=""
fi

export menuentry_id_option

if [ "${prev_saved_entry}" ]; then
  set saved_entry="${prev_saved_entry}"
  save_env saved_entry
  set prev_saved_entry=
  save_env prev_saved_entry
  set boot_once=true
fi

function savedefault {
  if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then
    saved_entry="${chosen}"
    save_env saved_entry
  fi
}
function initrdfail {
    if [ -n "${have_grubenv}" ]; then if [ -n "${partuuid}" ]; then
      if [ -z "${initrdfail}" ]; then
        set initrdfail=1
        if [ -n "${boot_once}" ]; then
          set prev_entry="${default}"
          save_env prev_entry
        fi
      fi
      save_env initrdfail
    fi; fi
}
function recordfail {
  set recordfail=1
  if [ -n "${have_grubenv}" ]; then if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then save_env recordfail; fi; fi
}
function load_video {
  if [ x$feature_all_video_module = xy ]; then
    insmod all_video
  else
    insmod efi_gop
    insmod efi_uga
    insmod ieee1275_fb
    insmod vbe
    insmod vga
    insmod video_bochs
    insmod video_cirrus
  fi
}

if [ x$feature_default_font_path = xy ] ; then
   font=unicode
else
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='hd0,msdos5'
if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,msdos5 --hint-efi=hd0,msdos5 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,msdos5  cefef090-03f5-4ec7-91c6-fb8773c2e1d9
else
  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root cefef090-03f5-4ec7-91c6-fb8773c2e1d9
fi
    font="/usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2"
fi

if loadfont $font ; then
  set gfxmode=auto
  load_video
  insmod gfxterm
  set locale_dir=$prefix/locale
  set lang=es_ES
  insmod gettext
fi
terminal_output gfxterm
if [ "${recordfail}" = 1 ] ; then
  set timeout=30
else
  if [ x$feature_timeout_style = xy ] ; then
    set timeout_style=hidden
    set timeout=0
  # Fallback hidden-timeout code in case the timeout_style feature is
  # unavailable.
  elif sleep --interruptible 0 ; then
    set timeout=0
  fi
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/00_header ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###
set menu_color_normal=white/black
set menu_color_highlight=black/light-gray
### END /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
function gfxmode {
	set gfxpayload="${1}"
	if [ "${1}" = "keep" ]; then
		set vt_handoff=vt.handoff=7
	else
		set vt_handoff=
	fi
}
if [ "${recordfail}" != 1 ]; then
  if [ -e ${prefix}/gfxblacklist.txt ]; then
    if hwmatch ${prefix}/gfxblacklist.txt 3; then
      if [ ${match} = 0 ]; then
        set linux_gfx_mode=keep
      else
        set linux_gfx_mode=text
      fi
    else
      set linux_gfx_mode=text
    fi
  else
    set linux_gfx_mode=keep
  fi
else
  set linux_gfx_mode=text
fi
export linux_gfx_mode
menuentry 'Linux Mint 20.2 Xfce' --class linuxmint --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-simple-cefef090-03f5-4ec7-91c6-fb8773c2e1d9' {
	recordfail
	load_video
	gfxmode $linux_gfx_mode
	insmod gzio
	if [ x$grub_platform = xxen ]; then insmod xzio; insmod lzopio; fi
	insmod part_msdos
	insmod ext2
	set root='hd0,msdos5'
	  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,msdos5 --hint-efi=hd0,msdos5 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,msdos5  cefef090-03f5-4ec7-91c6-fb8773c2e1d9
	else
	fi
	linux	/boot/vmlinuz-5.4.0-86-generic root=UUID=cefef090-03f5-4ec7-91c6-fb8773c2e1d9 ro  nomodeset
	initrd	/boot/initrd.img-5.4.0-86-generic
}
submenu 'Opciones avanzadas para Linux Mint 20.2 Xfce' $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-advanced-cefef090-03f5-4ec7-91c6-fb8773c2e1d9' {
	menuentry 'Linux Mint 20.2 Xfce, con Linux 5.4.0-86-generic' --class linuxmint --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-5.4.0-86-generic-advanced-cefef090-03f5-4ec7-91c6-fb8773c2e1d9' {
		recordfail
		load_video
		gfxmode $linux_gfx_mode
		insmod gzio
		insmod part_msdos
		insmod ext2
		set root='hd0,msdos5'
		else
		fi
		echo	'Cargando Linux 5.4.0-86-generic...'
		linux	/boot/vmlinuz-5.4.0-86-generic root=UUID=cefef090-03f5-4ec7-91c6-fb8773c2e1d9 ro  quiet splash 
		echo	'Cargando imagen de memoria inicial...'
	}
	menuentry 'Linux Mint 20.2 Xfce, con Linux 5.4.0-86-generic (recovery mode)' --class linuxmint --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-5.4.0-86-generic-recovery-cefef090-03f5-4ec7-91c6-fb8773c2e1d9' {
		recordfail
		load_video
		insmod gzio
		insmod part_msdos
		insmod ext2
		set root='hd0,msdos5'
		else
		fi
		echo	'Cargando Linux 5.4.0-86-generic...'
		linux	/boot/vmlinuz-5.4.0-86-generic root=UUID=cefef090-03f5-4ec7-91c6-fb8773c2e1d9 ro recovery nomodeset dis_ucode_ldr 
	}
	menuentry 'Linux Mint 20.2 Xfce, con Linux 5.4.0-74-generic' --class linuxmint --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-5.4.0-74-generic-advanced-cefef090-03f5-4ec7-91c6-fb8773c2e1d9' {
		recordfail
		load_video
		gfxmode $linux_gfx_mode
		insmod gzio
		insmod part_msdos
		insmod ext2
		set root='hd0,msdos5'
		else
		fi
		echo	'Cargando Linux 5.4.0-74-generic...'
		linux	/boot/vmlinuz-5.4.0-74-generic root=UUID=cefef090-03f5-4ec7-91c6-fb8773c2e1d9 ro  nomodeset video=vesa:off vga=normal
		initrd	/boot/initrd.img-5.4.0-74-generic
	}
	menuentry 'Linux Mint 20.2 Xfce, con Linux 5.4.0-74-generic (recovery mode)' --class linuxmint --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-5.4.0-74-generic-recovery-cefef090-03f5-4ec7-91c6-fb8773c2e1d9' {
		recordfail
		load_video
		insmod gzio
		insmod part_msdos
		insmod ext2
		set root='hd0,msdos5'
		else
		fi
		echo	'Cargando Linux 5.4.0-74-generic...'
		linux	/boot/vmlinuz-5.4.0-74-generic root=UUID=cefef090-03f5-4ec7-91c6-fb8773c2e1d9 ro recovery nomodeset dis_ucode_ldr
		initrd	/boot/initrd.img-5.4.0-74-generic
	}
}

### END /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux_zfs ###
### END /etc/grub.d/10_linux_zfs ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###

### END /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
### END /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_uefi-firmware ###
### END /etc/grub.d/30_uefi-firmware ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.
### END /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###
if [ -f  ${config_directory}/custom.cfg ]; then
  source ${config_directory}/custom.cfg
elif [ -z "${config_directory}" -a -f  $prefix/custom.cfg ]; then
  source $prefix/custom.cfg;
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###
my /etc/modules:

# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
# at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.

nvidia
nvidia-drm
nvidia-modeset
Result: corrupted display, unresponsive keyboard

Output from

:
https://termbin.com/hgfmy

It still can't "find" nvidia-modeset and nvidia-drm modules, even though they're explicitely requested.

What have I missed in my install?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Cubytus wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:00 pmI made sure I edited /boot/grub/grub.cfg in tty1, and again on reboot.
You edited the file that says at the top in capital letters, DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE.

#
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
#
# It is automatically generated by grub-mkconfig using templates
# from /etc/grub.d and settings from /etc/default/grub
#
The file to edit is etc/default/grub as explained in this thread How to add a kernel parameter.

If you scroll to the very bottom of the file in the url you posted, you will see this line:

sep 23 19:24:19 Aspire-X3400 kernel: Command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.4.0-86-generic root=UUID=cefef090-03f5-4ec7-91c6-fb8773c2e1d9 ro nomodeset

I did not put it in code tags so you can see the end says nomodeset which is the kernel parameter you added and means the nvidia driver files will not load. So that is why you can not find them.

I suggest you install nouveau and then show the output of inxi -Gx and we can see if nouveau appears to be loading properly.

On the bright side, you are learning a lot. :)
Cubytus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cubytus »

SMG wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:16 pmYou edited the file that says at the top in capital letters, DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE.
:D
sep 23 19:24:19 Aspire-X3400 kernel: Command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.4.0-86-generic root=UUID=cefef090-03f5-4ec7-91c6-fb8773c2e1d9 ro nomodeset

I did not put it in code tags so you can see the end says nomodeset which is the kernel parameter you added and means the nvidia driver files will not load. So that is why you can not find them.

I suggest you install nouveau and then show the output of inxi -Gx and we can see if nouveau appears to be loading properly.
[/quote]
Things I tried:
From GRUB menu: removed nomodeset parameter
Boot
Result = black screen + unresponsive keyboard
And: https://termbin.com/60sy

Purged nvidia-340 and reinstalled nouveau with

$ sudo apt-get installxserver-xorg-video-nouveau
Computer tells me latest version is already installed.

Commented out the references to nvidia in /etc/modules. Rebooted. First got squished display, although technically working. A quick look at the screen parameters shows that it tried to apply a low 1024x768 resolution at a very high 120Hz refresh rate. I don't know the rationale behind such reasoning, as I'd rather set a rather high, though common resolution and stick to 60Hz (all CRT and LCD monitors support it). In the resolutions list, there's a bunch of very low resolutions coupled with the impossibly high refresh rate of 120Hz. If a monitor can reach 120Hz, chances are it could also reach 1280x1024 without a hiccup. Anyway, that's one small progress as the Cinammon version would not feature any other resolution.

Added custom resolution to xrandr. First time it froze, after a reboot worked.
Made it permanent in my personal profile (meaning the login screen is still squished - Should I add the "xrandr" lines in /root/.profile instead of ~/.profile?). Rebooted again.

Output from inxi -Gx:
https://termbin.com/m8kr

Tried to play a bit with Deskreen, froze Mint.

So yes, nouveau is loaded, somewhat works.

But still no idea why nvidia-340 driver fails to work.
On the bright side, you are learning a lot. :)
That's one sure thing! At least now know why I still vaguely remembered being told to avoid certain graphic cards, especially Nvidia's, and why the typical gaming PC of the time wouldn't be a good hardware to run Linux on.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

This looks like it is properly loaded.

Graphics:
  driver: nouveau v: kernel bus ID: 02:00.0 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: modesetting 
  unloaded: fbdev,vesa resolution: 1280x1024_60.00~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: NVAA v: 3.3 Mesa 21.0.3 direct render: Yes
From this, I would assume the GPU is probably in good shape. However, I would have expected the driver to pick up the correct monitor resolution. 120Hz for a 2010 era laptop is not what I would expect. :shock:

Have you tried reloading the Nvidia driver after saving the xrandr setting in your profile? Maybe that would help?
Cubytus wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:19 pmAdded custom resolution to xrandr. First time it froze, after a reboot worked.
Made it permanent in my personal profile (meaning the login screen is still squished - Should I add the "xrandr" lines in /root/.profile instead of ~/.profile?). Rebooted again.
The info I have from people who have done this indicates you want to create a bash file so it loads earlier and the login screen has the necessary info. Check the last three posts in that thread.
Cubytus wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:19 pmThings I tried:
From GRUB menu: removed nomodeset parameter
I see the same errors as noticed in prior journals only this time there was also a kernel RIP maybe related to sound?

sep 23 20:32:54 Aspire-X3400 systemd[1]: user@121.service: Failed with result 'timeout'.
sep 23 20:32:54 Aspire-X3400 systemd[1]: user@121.service: Killing process 1168 (fusermount) with signal SIGKILL.
sep 23 20:32:54 Aspire-X3400 systemd[1]: user@121.service: Main process exited, code=killed, status=9/KILL
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel: forcedeth 0000:00:0a.0 enp0s10: Got tx_timeout. irq status: 00000032
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel: ---[ end trace 23d69e62c9f20edb ]---
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel: R13: 0000000000000000 R14: 00007fdf70175000 R15: 0000000000000000
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel: R10: 0000000000000001 R11: 0000000000000246 R12: 0000000000000000
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel: RBP: 00007fdf70175070 R08: 00007fdf77003a80 R09: 00007ffd8fe8d530
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel: RDX: 00007fdf73143144 RSI: 00007fdf77003a80 RDI: 0000000000000001
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel: RAX: ffffffffffffffda RBX: 0000000000000000 RCX: 00007fdf77f2889b
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel: RSP: 002b:00007ffd8fe8d468 EFLAGS: 00000246 ORIG_RAX: 0000000000000018
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel: Code: 73 01 c3 48 8b 0d f5 55 0e 00 f7 d8 64 89 01 48 83 c8 ff c3 66 2e 0f 1f 84 00 00 00 00 00 90 f3 0f 1e fa b8 18 00 00 00 0f 05 <48> 3d 01 f0 ff ff 73 01 c3 48 8b 0d c5 55 0e 00 f7 d8 64 89 01 48
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel: RIP: 0033:0x7fdf77f2889b
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel:  entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x44/0xa9
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel:  do_syscall_64+0x57/0x190
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel:  __ia32_sys_sched_yield+0xe/0x20
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel:  ? task_fork_fair+0xf0/0xf0
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel: R13: 0000000000000000 R14: 0000000000000000 R15: 0000000000000000
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel: R10: 0000000000000000 R11: 0000000000000000 R12: ffff9f0eade6adc0
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel: RBP: ffffb96c00c07f18 R08: 0000000000000000 R09: 0000000000000000
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel: RDX: 0000000000000001 RSI: ffffb96c00c07f58 RDI: ffff9f0eade6adc0
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel: RAX: ffffffffabcdc460 RBX: 0000000000000000 RCX: 0000000000000000
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel: RSP: 0018:ffffb96c00c07f10 EFLAGS: 00000246 ORIG_RAX: ffffffffffffff13
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel: Code: 65 48 8b 04 25 c0 6b 01 00 48 8b 40 78 4c 89 e7 48 8b 40 20 e8 20 0a d3 00 4c 89 e7 c6 07 00 0f 1f 40 00 fb 66 0f 1f 44 00 00 <e8> 1a d4 a0 00 41 5c 5d c3 41 83 84 24 50 0c 00 00 01 eb c2 66 66
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel: RIP: 0010:do_sched_yield+0x61/0x80
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel:  </IRQ>
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel:  apic_timer_interrupt+0xf/0x20
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel:  smp_apic_timer_interrupt+0x7b/0x140
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel:  irq_exit+0xae/0xb0
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel:  ? hrtimer_interrupt+0x136/0x220
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel:  __do_softirq+0xe1/0x2d6
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel:  run_timer_softirq+0x2a/0x50
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel:  ? ktime_get+0x3e/0xa0
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel:  ? enqueue_hrtimer+0x3d/0x90
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel:  ? timerqueue_add+0x9b/0xb0
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel:  __run_timers.part.0+0x180/0x280
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel:  call_timer_fn+0x32/0x130
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel:  ? pfifo_fast_enqueue+0x150/0x150
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel:  <IRQ>
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel: Call Trace:
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel: CR2: 00007f624662b8a8 CR3: 0000000066da6000 CR4: 00000000000006e0
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel: CS:  0010 DS: 0000 ES: 0000 CR0: 0000000080050033
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel: FS:  00007fdf77003a80(0000) GS:ffff9f0eade40000(0000) knlGS:0000000000000000
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel: R13: 0000000000000000 R14: ffff9f0eab5d4480 R15: ffff9f0eab5d4000
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel: R10: 0000000000000000 R11: 0000000000000001 R12: 0000000000000001
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel: RBP: ffffb96c000e4e60 R08: 0000000000000392 R09: 0000000000000004
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel: RDX: 0000000000000007 RSI: 0000000000000096 RDI: ffff9f0eade578c0
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel: RAX: 0000000000000000 RBX: ffff9f0ea98e5600 RCX: 0000000000000006
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel: RSP: 0018:ffffb96c000e4e30 EFLAGS: 00010286
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel: Code: 85 c0 75 e5 eb 9f 4c 89 ff c6 05 60 d3 ec 00 01 e8 0d c2 fa ff 44 89 e9 4c 89 fe 48 c7 c7 50 ba 03 ad 48 89 c2 e8 1a dc 13 00 <0f> 0b eb 80 0f 1f 40 00 0f 1f 44 00 00 55 48 89 e5 41 57 49 89 d7
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel: RIP: 0010:dev_watchdog+0x258/0x260
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel: Hardware name: Acer Aspire X3400/Aspire X3400, BIOS P01-B1 04/02/2010
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel: CPU: 1 PID: 1112 Comm: xfwm4 Tainted: P           OE     5.4.0-86-generic #97-Ubuntu
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel: Modules linked in: snd_hda_codec_hdmi nls_iso8859_1 snd_hda_codec_realtek snd_hda_codec_generic ledtrig_audio nvidia_uvm(POE) snd_hda_intel snd_intel_dspcfg edac_mce_amd snd_hda_codec snd_hda_core kvm_amd ccp snd_hwdep kvm snd_pcm input_leds k10temp snd_seq_midi serio_raw wmi_bmof snd_seq_midi_event snd_rawmidi snd_seq snd_seq_device snd_timer snd soundcore mac_hid sch_fq_codel nvidia(POE) msr parport_pc ppdev lp parport drm ip_tables x_tables autofs4 btrfs xor zstd_compress raid6_pq libcrc32c dm_mirror dm_region_hash dm_log uas usb_storage hid_generic usbhid hid psmouse pata_acpi ahci forcedeth libahci pata_amd i2c_nforce2 video wmi
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel: WARNING: CPU: 1 PID: 1112 at net/sched/sch_generic.c:472 dev_watchdog+0x258/0x260
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel: NETDEV WATCHDOG: enp0s10 (forcedeth): transmit queue 0 timed out
sep 23 20:32:53 Aspire-X3400 kernel: ------------[ cut here ]------------
Although the Netdev Watchdog at the end of that list (which is the top time-wise) is the first line listed. I'm not sure why sound drivers would be linked to it, but I seem to recall someone having a graphics issue, and when they removed a buggy piece of network hardware the graphics started working again. (I do not recall if that was Nvidia graphics.)
Cubytus wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:19 pmTried to play a bit with Deskreen, froze Mint.
I looked up the software and it sounds like something which would be cpu/memory intensive. I think any software in that category is going to have issues until you add more memory. 2GB is the minimum recommended just to run Mint. You are trying to run Mint and other software.
Cubytus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cubytus »

SMG wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:37 pm[…]However, I would have expected the driver to pick up the correct monitor resolution. 120Hz for a 2010 era laptop is not what I would expect. :shock:
Why the driver doesn't default to resolutions that work on most monitors is beyond me. Obviously trying to detect native resolution doesn't work that well. I have yet to find an LCD or CRT from teh past 18 years that can't display 1280x1024@60Hz.
Have you tried reloading the Nvidia driver after saving the xrandr setting in your profile? Maybe that would help?
Huh, all these steps were performed after purging all trace of nvidia-340 :?
Do you mean I should try to re-install nvidia-340 and apply roblm's tweak, and reinstate the

modeset
option on boot line? Resolution wasn't even the issue with Nvidia's driver.
The info I have from people who have done this indicates you want to create a bash file so it loads earlier and the login screen has the necessary info. Check the last three posts in that thread.

I followed the instructions, replacing "HDMI-0" by "VGA-1" and directly copied known-good xrandr lines from my own ~/.profile to /usr/bin/set_resolution.sh.
TL;DR: make sure your xrandr line is complete when copied.

No luck, on reboot I get a black screen with flashing cursor and not the login page (tty7). However, if I manually startx after logging in from tty1, I get an un-customised Xfce desktop, complete with incorrect resolution /refresh rate. File /usr/bin/set_resolution.sh is owned by root and is executable. I saw that all other scripts in /usr/bin call

#!/bin/sh
and not

#!/bin/bash
, so I changed that as well. /etc/lightdm.conf.d/71-linux-mint.conf is copied from /etc/lightdm.conf.d/70-linuxmint.conf, so I know that's not the issue. Puzzled, I opened ~/.profile and /usr/bin/set_resolution.sh in xed, and lo and behold, I made a mistake when copying the first xrandr line when the file was opened in nano; nano doesn't have line-wrap by default, and the line was truncated. :oops:

Corrected the line in /usr/bin/set_resolution.sh script, rebooted.
Now I get the correct resolution at the login screen, but after logging in, panels have moved back to their Xfce default locations, not Mint's defaults. What I called "un-customised" really means the original Mint customisation is lost.
I could try to correct each of these by hand, but I think that creating a new user + copying over GUI /desktop configuration files over to original user would be quicker.
Where are these files located?
Although the Netdev Watchdog at the end of that list (which is the top time-wise) is the first line listed. I'm not sure why sound drivers would be linked to it, but I seem to recall someone having a graphics issue, and when they removed a buggy piece of network hardware the graphics started working again. (I do not recall if that was Nvidia graphics.)
At least I know it can't be some external peripheral: the computer has no added cards, and the only piece of problematic hardware on the same LAN is currently disconnected.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Cubytus wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:05 pmDo you mean I should try to re-install nvidia-340 and apply roblm's tweak, and reinstate the

modeset
option on boot line? Resolution wasn't even the issue with Nvidia's driver.
Okay. My thought was maybe a resolution closer to what the hardware was expecting might help, but hearing you repeat the suggestion back to me says that was probably too wild of a wild guess of what might work. :mrgreen:
Cubytus wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:05 pmNow I get the correct resolution at the login screen, but after logging in, panels have moved back to their Xfce default locations, not Mint's defaults. What I called "un-customised" really means the original Mint customisation is lost.
In the below line from that post, did you replace cinnamon with xfce?

user-session=cinnamon
I did some searches on the forum and it seems like xfce is what it should be. I did not find a special custom name for Mint's desktop version (although I could have missed it in the search).
Hamburger73
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Hamburger73 »

You should install an older version of Firefox,I say 84.0.1
of course you are free to try a newer versions as well but this one works for me very well!

https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/

and stay on it,don't update it later...
Make a snapshot in your Timeshift before and after and you will be on the safe side
:wink:
Cubytus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cubytus »

SMG wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:17 amOkay. My thought was maybe a resolution closer to what the hardware was expecting might help, but hearing you repeat the suggestion back to me says that was probably too wild of a wild guess of what might work. :mrgreen:
I wouldn't know what the hardware is "expecting". Any monitor could be plugged, either on the VGA or the HDMI port.
In the below line from that post, did you replace cinnamon with xfce?

user-session=cinnamon
I did some searches on the forum and it seems like xfce is what it should be. I did not find a special custom name for Mint's desktop version (although I could have missed it in the search).
Yes, I took care not to put "cinnamon" while I am using "xfce". I would have called the aspect "custom Xfce theme for Linux Mint", but always end up on pages explaining how to change the theme, but the theme itself has no influence over panel disposition and items. Not sure how to call it :?:

If that helps, when logging in to the "broken" username, I get this alert:
Error found when loading /home/user0/.profile:

X Error of failed request: BadName (named color or font does not exist)
Major opcode of failed request: 140 (RANDR)
Minor opcode of failed request: 16 (RRCreateMode)
Serial number of failed request: 25

As a result the session will not be configured correctly.
You should fix the problem as soon as feasible.
Typing the

xrandr --newmode "1280x1024_60.00" 109.00 1280 1368 1496 1712 1024 1027 1034 1063 -hsync +vsync
line on the command line triggers the same error.

Doesn't happen with the new user.
Hamburger73 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:17 am You should install an older version of Firefox,I say 84.0.1
of course you are free to try a newer versions as well but this one […]
and stay on it,don't update it later...
Sounds like one *BAD* advice. Given the exposition, I have yet to find a reason not to keep a browser updated. All my computers run the latest Firefox ESR, and outdated OSes that can't upgrade anymore are isolated.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”