Milky Screen BIOS/UEFI graphics settings

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MilkyScreen
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Milky Screen BIOS/UEFI graphics settings

Post by MilkyScreen »

Grayfox wrote:When I think of a "Milky" Screen I think of a screen with its brightness set way too high
It's not that gross in my case. It's more like a decent this (though you are still sture that it's bloody there):

I'm astonished to not even find any brightness or contrast level settings on the OS driver level. I checked it all several times but couldn't find it. Where can I adjust monitor levels?
MilkyScreen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MilkyScreen »

Grayfox wrote:... I would say it is a hardware issue as the issue exists outside of any OS and also exists in Windows too.
If I hadn't had the exact problem before on another computer I might also think something with the hardware is simply defective. But anyway I will just take that notebook to my vendor today and wonder why the screen is milky. He will then run it and see I put Linux Mint on it. Let's see how he feels about that. Hopefully he can start it with Windows from a USB stick to see if milky mode is still up.
MilkyScreen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MilkyScreen »

Grayfox wrote:Just informing the OP that you can filter down logs to a more specific point such as boot time rather than having to look through the 30,000+ lines.
Thank you. At least I will have a look at it for the purpose of practising my Linux roaming skills.
Grayfox
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Grayfox »

MilkyScreen wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:59 am
Grayfox wrote:... I would say it is a hardware issue as the issue exists outside of any OS and also exists in Windows too.
If I hadn't had the exact problem before on another computer I might also think something with the hardware is simply defective. But anyway I will just take that notebook to my vendor today and wonder why the screen is milky. He will then run it and see I put Linux Mint on it. Let's see how he feels about that. Hopefully he can start it with Windows from a USB stick to see if milky mode is still up.
When dealing with returning computers.

I find it best to put Windows or MacOS back on it.

This way they cant palm you off saying, "Not Compatible with Linux".
You will see the repair center do this too, blame something else, then mark the job closed.
With Windows fully installed and most updates applied with latest drivers makes it harder for them to palm it off.
I know how repair centers work as I use to be a PC tech several years back and I have seen this first hand.
PC: Intel i5 6600K @4.5Ghz, 1TB NVMe SSD, 32GiB 3000Mhz DDR4, GTX1080 running Mint 21.3
Laptop: Asus UM425UAZ running LMDE 6
MilkyScreen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MilkyScreen »

SMG wrote:Do you have an external monitor you can attach to the laptop?
I just attached an external monitor to the laptop and the colours on the external monitor are perfectly bright and strong whilst at the same time they are still milky on the notebook.
MilkyScreen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MilkyScreen »

Grayfox wrote:This way they cant palm you off saying, "Not Compatible with Linux".
You will see the repair center do this too, blame something else, then mark the job closed.
With Windows fully installed and most updates applied with latest drivers makes it harder for them to palm it off.
I know how repair centers work as I use to be a PC tech several years back and I have seen this first hand.
Thanks a lot. These background thoughts and information will help me heading for the battle right now. I will let you know the results. Yes, maybe I just ask them to please put Windows on again. Hm.
Grayfox
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Grayfox »

MilkyScreen wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:00 am
Grayfox wrote:This way they cant palm you off saying, "Not Compatible with Linux".
Thanks a lot. These background thoughts and information will help me heading for the battle right now. I will let you know the results. Yes, maybe I just ask them to please put Windows on again. Hm.
Installing windows is easy and free to do.

Just google Windows 10 download.
Go to the microsoft site and download the Windows 10 download tool.
It will download and write the ISO to a USB drive.
Then just boot into the USB drive, complete the set up and bobs your uncle.
PC: Intel i5 6600K @4.5Ghz, 1TB NVMe SSD, 32GiB 3000Mhz DDR4, GTX1080 running Mint 21.3
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Grayfox wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:52 pmJust informing the OP that you can filter down logs to a more specific point such as boot time rather than having to look through the 30,000+ lines.
Okay, I misunderstood. I thought you were asking them to post the info once they found the start-up point. (I've seen users do that and post reams of code across multiple posts. :shock: )
MilkyScreen wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:49 amI'm astonished to not even find any brightness or contrast level settings on the OS driver level. I checked it all several times but couldn't find it. Where can I adjust monitor levels?
Open the Power Management app and select the Brightness tab.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
MilkyScreen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MilkyScreen »

SMG wrote:Open the Power Management app and select the Brightness tab.
Thank you. Tried it out. The milky only gets even further unbright milky.

I was at the vendor's right now. The guy was very ok and had no problems with me having installed Linux Mint. He says he uses Ubuntu himself. He suspects the display of this notebook is so new that the linux community has not yet written and supplied the according drivers. That's why the colours are strong if I attach the notebook to an external (older) monitor.

So I think I will have to go milky and hope for some driver updates in the future.

The guy says he's quite sure colours will be ok if I install Windows again as this notebook was developed solely for Windows.
Let's assume he's right and I install Windows 10 again just like mentioned and described by Grayfox.
But even IF the colours are ok running Windows I'd rather prefer the milky way on Linux Mint as I despise Windows a lot.

But I have to admit I'm curious to see the right colours on Windows just to confirm the affair. I think I'll do it.
Last edited by MilkyScreen on Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
MilkyScreen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MilkyScreen »

Grayfox wrote:Go to the microsoft site and download the Windows 10 download tool.
It will download and write the ISO to a USB drive.
Then just boot into the USB drive, complete the set up and bobs your uncle.
microsoft.com detected I visit their site on Linux and told me the download tool therefore is not available. I'm downloading the ISO anyway right now. It seems to work although microsoft.com said it won't. Once I downloaded it (5 GB) I'll try to create a bootable USB stick from it in my Linux Mint. Hopefully that works as easily as creating Linux Boot Sticks. Than I'll boot Windows, try to get all drivers and we'll see.
MilkyScreen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MilkyScreen »

I hate how Windows 10 is 5 GB compared to the slim 2 GB of Linux.
I wonder why it's free. I always thought only Linux is free whilst Windows 10 is 80 €.
MilkyScreen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MilkyScreen »

I could download the Win10 ISO and create the bootable USB Stick.
But when I choose "USB" in the boot menue it doesn't work.
The usual Windows information shows up: Please enter a key to boot from CD or DVD
But if I enter a key it won't work anyway but Linux is starting instead.
MilkyScreen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MilkyScreen »

On a third try the notebook startet booting from the Windows USB Stick. The Windows installation process began but lasted only for a few seconds. No drivers were found on the installation device although the USB stick with 5 GB Windows on it was placed in the USB slot, of course.
These problems don't stop it seems. Why don't things just run?
Started in Mint again now.
Waiting for further tactical advise or Linux to update its display drivers in the next six months.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

MilkyScreen wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:58 amHe suspects the display of this notebook is so new that the linux community has not yet written and supplied the according drivers. That's why the colours are strong if I attach the notebook to an external (older) monitor.
It's my understanding Intel engineers supply the Intel drivers to the Linux kernel. I do not think the Linux community has to reverse engineer Intel drivers. I do not know if there might be a timing lag of when the drivers are released (and there were some bugs in recent desktop 10 & 11th gen Intel processors), but I'm a little suspicious of that explanation.

Is there something extra special about the display on your laptop? I've helped a lot of people with Intel graphics issues and usually this type of issue relates to the hardware.

I would think he might have a Windows install media you could use to check and make sure Windows is okay on this laptop.

My suggestion would be to take a Timeshift snapshot of your current install and save it on a separate drive/usb (if you do not want to make a fresh install after testing a Windows install). Then after you test Windows you can re-install Mint fresh and then restore to the snapshot so you get your current set-up. (You must re-install before restoring.)
MilkyScreen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MilkyScreen »

Thank you, SMG. That sounds very, very reasonable to me.

I don't think there's something special about the display of that notebook except that it's new and 2021ish.

The guy in the store, though he seems quite ok, has some kind of crooky and both competent and incompetent vibes. He mixes reasonable statements with crooky ones. For example it felt strange when he said, "oh well, it looks good to me, no milky whatever". When I said, "but it looks perfectly unmilky on the external monitor", he replied, "well each monitor has its own look, attach ten different monitors and you'll get ten different looks". But I know for sure that this screen is milky and can be less milky respectively not milky at all.

So, yeah. I will get there again tomorrow and ask him to give me a Windows installer medium and let me put it on right before his eyes. And I will tell him that Linux Pros on the internet said that Intel delivers the drivers to the Kernel directly anyways. So he can stick his broken hardware that he tried to sell me like a milky pig in a poke up his arse. Then I'll get a new notebook, install Linux and everything will be unmilky and fine. That's the plan.

I will let you know tomorrow how the saga went on.

Will fortunately not need Timeshift as there's nothing on that new notebook anyway.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

MilkyScreen wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:03 pm He mixes reasonable statements with crooky ones. For example it felt strange when he said, "oh well, it looks good to me, no milky whatever".
In the screenshot you provided, it does seem like there is a slight cast to the image, but it does not seem excessive to me. However, it may look different to me if I saw it in person. It is your money, so your decision.
MilkyScreen wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:03 pm When I said, "but it looks perfectly unmilky on the external monitor", he replied, "well each monitor has its own look, attach ten different monitors and you'll get ten different looks".
I definitely agree with the statement each monitor will look different. Each screen is interpreting the signals they receive from the computer through different hardware technologies, so they will not all look the same. However, there should be a baseline acceptable level for all of them.

I do not know if they have stores like this in your area, but many places will sell televisions and have a dozen different models out and playing at the same time. One's eyes will notice obvious differences in color between the different models that one might not otherwise notice.
Grayfox
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Grayfox »

SMG wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:15 pm I do not know if they have stores like this in your area, but many places will sell televisions and have a dozen different models out and playing at the same time. One's eyes will notice obvious differences in color between the different models that one might not otherwise notice.
Think all do this unless they have been told the manufactures demo film by the manufacture, but normally the will show some kind of sports channel especially during football/rugby/gridiron finals or olympics.
MilkyScreen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MilkyScreen »

I will install Windows today with the help of the vendor of my notebook just to confirm the colours are ok. Afterwards I will turn to Linux again. Could it be worth a try to install some other Linux distribution? I still want Mint in the end but just to see if maybe some other distribution is getting it right like Ubuntu or whatever? Or doesn't it make sense at all as all Linux distribution use the exact same drivers core?
MilkyScreen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MilkyScreen »

My vendor could install Windows again which costs me 80 $.
I could do it myself but it didn't work when I tried yesterday.
So I could let him do it. 80 $ I would survive. But still it's a little uneconomic to let him put Windows on for 80 bucks just to see, ah, the colours are ok, *confirmed*, let's go back to milky Linux. It would be a short 80-bucks-amusement.
The chance of the hardware being defective I think is small. Would be a shame though running Linux in a milky way for the next five years on that notebook assuming it's a Linux thing though actually the display itself is flawed.
Ok. There's no way other than to get Windows on. We need to know.

I will search this forum for some very detailed Windows-doublecheck-Installation-Guide. No. That might not be the right place here. It's a Linux forum after all. I will use some Windows computer in my work place to create the installation medium.
MilkyScreen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MilkyScreen »

Today I created the USB Installer Windows 10 Medium on a Windows Computer. Everything seemed to work fine. But when I try to install Windows from that stick on my Linux Mint it doesn't work as no drivers are found on the installation medium (my freshly created USB Stick). Maybe it has something to do with me having formatted the hard drive before installing Linux Mint. When you install Linux Mint you are asked what kind of installation you want to do. I chose "Format and delete all and install Linux only".

My mother is taking her milky Linux Mint notebook with her for two weeks now so I can't work on the issue for that time. Luckily enough it's only 2 % milky and absolutely workable.

Once she returns I might think about having the vendor putting up Windows again. He will know how to do it.
Or I just forget about it and have my mother go milky until some Linux update might solve the issue.
No. I think I'm gonna invest 80 € and let the vendor install Windows. I too much want to see if that display can produce perfect colours.

I will let you know once the issue is fixed.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”