[SOLVED] HDMI to t.v. shows only background and LM logo, no other graphics

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TimPat
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] HDMI to t.v. shows only background and LM logo, no other graphics

Post by TimPat »

[SOLVED] Installed LM 20.2 a few days ago. I'm brand new to Linux. Everything works except HDMI to tv: it shows only the background + LM logo, without the other graphics that are on the laptop screen, and does not change regardless of changes on the laptop screen.
I'm running an old (2012) Asus, specs as follows:
Processor ASUS K54C
Processor: Pentium 2200 MHz
Processor Model: B960
Number of Cores: 2
L2 cache: 512 KB
L3 Cache: 2 MB
Memory: 2048 MB DDR3 1333 MHz
Any ideas on how to get everything on the laptop screen to show up on the t.v. screen?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: HDMI to t.v. shows only background and LM logo, no other graphics

Post by SMG »

TimPat wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:16 pmAny ideas on how to get everything on the laptop screen to show up on the t.v. screen?
Welcome to the forum, TimPat.

Please give us information about your install by entering this command in a terminal: inxi -Fxxxrz
Click </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply and then place your cursor between the code markers and paste the results of the command between the code markers [code]Results[/code]. This will let us know how Mint sees your hardware.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
TimPat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TimPat »

I'm in the browser, and I think you're expecting me to be in the terminal rendering of the forum?? I'm not sure, but below is what the terminal says when I enter the command inxi -Fxxxrz
TimPat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TimPat »

Sorry.... I pasted the command line but not the result.... here's the result:
tim@tim-K54C:~$ inxi -Fxxxrz
System:
Kernel: 5.4.0-84-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0
Desktop: Cinnamon 5.0.5 wm: muffin 5.0.1 dm: LightDM 1.30.0
Distro: Linux Mint 20.2 Uma base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal
Machine:
Type: Laptop System: ASUSTeK product: K54C v: 1.0 serial: <filter>
Mobo: ASUSTeK model: K54C v: 1.0 serial: <filter>
BIOS: American Megatrends v: K54C.207 date: 04/18/2012
Battery:
ID-1: BAT0 charge: 29.1 Wh condition: 30.7/37.8 Wh (81%) volts: 16.3/14.4
model: ASUSTek K53--27 type: Li-ion serial: <filter> status: Unknown
CPU:
Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Pentium B960 bits: 64 type: MCP
arch: Sandy Bridge rev: 7 L2 cache: 2048 KiB
flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 bogomips: 8780
Speed: 798 MHz min/max: 800/2200 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 798 2: 798
Graphics:
Device-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics
vendor: ASUSTeK driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 chip ID: 8086:0106
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: modesetting
unloaded: fbdev,vesa resolution: 1366x768~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 2000 (SNB GT1)
v: 3.3 Mesa 21.0.3 compat-v: 3.0 direct render: Yes
Audio:
Device-1: Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Family High Definition Audio
vendor: ASUSTeK driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0
chip ID: 8086:1c20
Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-84-generic
Network:
Device-1: Ralink RT5390 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe vendor: Foxconn
driver: rt2800pci v: 2.3.0 port: e040 bus ID: 02:00.0 chip ID: 1814:5390
IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Device-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR8151 v2.0 Gigabit Ethernet vendor: ASUSTeK
driver: atl1c v: 1.0.1.1-NAPI port: a000 bus ID: 04:00.0
chip ID: 1969:1083
IF: enp4s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:
Local Storage: total: 298.09 GiB used: 21.82 GiB (7.3%)
ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST9320325AS size: 298.09 GiB
speed: 3.0 Gb/s rotation: 5400 rpm serial: <filter> rev: SDM1 scheme: MBR
Partition:
ID-1: / size: 70.11 GiB used: 21.82 GiB (31.1%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda6
Sensors:
System Temperatures: cpu: 49.0 C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 2300
Repos:
No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list
Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list
1: deb [arch=amd64] http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main
Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list
1: deb http://mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/linuxmint-packages uma main upstream import backport
2: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal main restricted universe multiverse
3: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates main restricted universe multiverse
4: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-backports main restricted universe multiverse
5: deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ focal-security main restricted universe multiverse
6: deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ focal partner
Info:
Processes: 183 Uptime: 20m Memory: 3.75 GiB used: 1.37 GiB (36.7%)
Init: systemd v: 245 runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 9.3.0 alt: 9 Shell: bash
v: 5.0.17 running in: gnome-terminal inxi: 3.0.38
tim@tim-K54C:~$
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

TimPat wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:26 am I'm in the browser, and I think you're expecting me to be in the terminal rendering of the forum?? I'm not sure, but below is what the terminal says when I enter the command inxi -Fxxxrz
That is the correct data. I wanted you to open a terminal session and then cut and paste the results from the terminal into the browser. Sorry if my directions were confusing.

I wanted to check and make sure the proper graphics drivers were installed as that is sometimes a reason external monitors do not work properly. It appears they are. If you had the external monitor connected when you ran the data, then it did not show up in the output.

If you open the Displays app, are both screens (laptop and TV) showing there?

You have a direct connection between the computer and the monitor (no docking station or receiver), correct? And both ends of the connection cable are HDMI?

What is the make and model of the television, and its native resolution?
TimPat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TimPat »

SMG, thank you very much! I will work on this but I must cook dinner for me and my wife of 51 years.... I'll post as soon as possible.
TimPat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TimPat »

Both screens display in the display window, as rectangles with the name of the monitor (Samsung 40" HDMI-1) (Laptop LVDS-1) but the HDMI cable is plugged into the "HDMI-2" in the back of the t.v., which has a resolution of 1366x768 according to the Linux display app. The HDMI cable is brand new, same at both ends, and purports to be high quality. I have managed to get the desktop icons to appear on the Samsung. However, I opened my "notes" app on the laptop, and opened a new note for this post, and it shows up on the t.v., but the cursor, and my ability to type, is only here, in this post-a-reply page on the browser. A few minutes ago the cursor was visible and moveable on the t.v., but now it is not. It is back here in the browser, and on my desklets, the notes icon does not open the notes on the laptop; it remains on the t.v. screen. I closed the desklet, and the notes remain on the t.v. screen, but the cursor is still here in the browser. It also seems (and this may be a key issue) that the graphic on the t.v. screen, which now includes the LM logo and my icons on the left of the screen, but it appears that the desktop on the t.v. screen is larger than it should be. It is possible that the desklets across the bottom are out of view because the t.v. does not contain the entire desktop that the laptop contains. It is all very mysterious to me! I hope this info is useful, and I look fwd. to hearing from you. Thanks again.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

TimPat wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:21 pmBoth screens display in the display window, as rectangles with the name of the monitor (Samsung 40" HDMI-1) (Laptop LVDS-1) but the HDMI cable is plugged into the "HDMI-2" in the back of the t.v., which has a resolution of 1366x768 according to the Linux display app.
1366x768 sounds like a resolution for a laptop screen. :?

In the Displays app, if you click on the rectangle for the Samsung, is the resolution still showing as 1366x768? Can you click the drop-down for Resolution and see any other options?

Do you have the Mirror displays option activated?
TimPat wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:21 pmIt also seems (and this may be a key issue) that the graphic on the t.v. screen, which now includes the LM logo and my icons on the left of the screen, but it appears that the desktop on the t.v. screen is larger than it should be. It is possible that the desklets across the bottom are out of view because the t.v. does not contain the entire desktop that the laptop contains.
That does sound like changing the resolution is what is needed.
TimPat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TimPat »

Thanks again... You're correct, the display problem is resolution. I changed the laptop display to a 4:3 option from the "recommended," it was then possible to activate the "mirror displays" so I now have the display on both devices (it had been impossible to activate the mirroring previously). However, the sound is only coming out of the laptop! New problem! Am I doing something else wrong? I hope to stop bothering you soon!
TimPat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TimPat »

I've just solved the sound issue, too. It's all about the inputs and outputs in the sound app and getting the right selection. Thank you, all this now seems to be resolved, if I can remember to get the settings right!
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

TimPat wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:11 am I've just solved the sound issue, too. It's all about the inputs and outputs in the sound app and getting the right selection. Thank you, all this now seems to be resolved, if I can remember to get the settings right!
With regards to the settings in the Display app, there is an Apply button that will save the settings you have for your next boot cycle.

If your graphics issues are resolved, please go to your first post in this thread, click the pencil icon, and add [SOLVED] to the title so others know you are no longer seeking help on that issue.

Glad to hear you resolved the sound issue. If you have future problems on sound or other issues, please create a new thread. We prefer separate issues are in separate threads so those who know the most about that issue are more likely to see the thread and help. Most people who help with sound issues would not read a thread about graphics to help someone. That is why you would be more likely to get faster help if you create a new thread.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”