Running Linux Mint With an Intel D945GTP Motherboard With No GPU

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
act
Level 1
Level 1

Running Linux Mint With an Intel D945GTP Motherboard With No GPU

Post by act »

I'm receiving a hand-me-down computer, and I am planning to run Linux Mint on it. The motherboard is an Intel D945GTP, and although I am unsure on the CPU I'm going to transfer from another motherboard which is apparently an AMD (EDIT: It is an Intel CPU.) - which I have no concern at all if it'll work with Linux - the integrated GPU is an Intel GMA 950, which due to a lack of discrete GPU, I need to use for the first week or so.
I've heard that AMD is the only manufacturer of GPUs that perfectly function with Linux because of their drivers being integrated into the kernel. While I don't expect tip-top performance, (Not like my laptop is some sort of NASA supercomputer anyways.) I am wondering if there will be issues that will end in me needing to grit my teeth and go out of my way to fix?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Running Linux Mint With an Intel D945GTP Motherboard With No GPU

Post by SMG »

act wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:47 amI've heard that AMD is the only manufacturer of GPUs that perfectly function with Linux because of their drivers being integrated into the kernel.
Welcome to the forum, act.

Both Intel and AMD graphics drivers are included in the kernel. Depending upon the age of your equipment, it is possible the 4.15 kernel in LM19.2 might be a better match than the 5.4 kernel in the LM20 versions, but try an LM20 version first.

You can boot to a live session of Mint using the install usb/dvd to give it a test run and to see what does or does not work. You can also post your system data (see Section 5 of READ: How To Get Help!) if you run into any issues. That data will let us know how Mint sees your hardware and give us a better idea for any necessary recommendations.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Running Linux Mint With an Intel D945GTP Motherboard With No GPU

Post by absque fenestris »

This mobo seems to be of a certain age and I strongly suspect that you are dealing with a 32-bit system.
With Mint 20, therefore, hardly anything clever will come out.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... 45gtp.html
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... oards.html

A good distro to test still bootable antiquities is SliTaz - if necessary it even works with floppy disks ...

https://slitaz.org/en/

In terms of aesthetics, this distro is certainly not beautiful. It's simply a tool to get an overview. If your machine works with SliTaz, you can move step by step to more sophisticated distributions.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”