Cant Install NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-470.74.run

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
John_316
Level 1
Level 1

Cant Install NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-470.74.run

Post by John_316 »

Hi all,
downloaded the newest NVidia driver (NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-470.74.run) and can not get it to install. Have tried it in the terminal and it tells me, "you appear to be running an X server; please exit X before installing... and it goes on. this was my best attempt. I have right clicked on the file/properties/permissions/Allow executing file as program, double clicked, install and nothing happened, these are my best attempts!!!! I love linux but
the 470.63 driver (With FXAA off) caused issues with my browsers opening and using and I get a looooooong black screen at boot up and only able to see my mouse until it finally boots and many other issues. And I don't understand why when I use the terminal for different commands for this and other things a lot of the time it tells me these commands are invalid even when they are copied and pasted in!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Cant Install NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-470.74.run

Post by t42 »

John_316 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:43 am And I don't understand why when I use the terminal for different commands for this and other things a lot of the time it tells me these commands are invalid even when they are copied and pasted in!!
You cited the reason: "you appear to be running an X server; please exit X before installing"
I think you need to switch system to text mode, reboot to shell using Gruab Advanced menu, navigate to the driver, execute necessary commands, then switch off text mode.

Something like that:
- disable GUI

Code: Select all

sudo systemctl set-default multi-user.target
sudo systemctl reboot
- login into terminal as root, cd to the binary and execute

/bin/bash ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-XXXXXX.run
- adjust XXXXXX in the file name

- reply to setup questions as needed

- enable GUI agian:

systemctl set-default graphical.target
systemctl reboot
I don't know your system state, if needed blacklist nouveau before step 1, reboot and then proceed as described

sudo echo "blacklist nouveau" > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nvidia-nouveau.conf
Last edited by t42 on Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-=t42=-
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

John_316 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:43 am ... I don't understand why when I use the terminal for different commands for this and other things a lot of the time it tells me these commands are invalid even when they are copied and pasted in!!
It because they were probably commands for the wrong version/release of Linux. One of the first things you need to know is that you should only apply solutions for your release.

Where did you get that 470.63 driver? In Linux just dl'ing the newest driver from the mfr's site is not usually such a good idea. WHat does Driver Manager recommend? It's usually right.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

Hoser Rob wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:10 am Where did you get that 470.63 driver?
46-30.png
46-30.png (30.88 KiB) Viewed 2730 times
Hoser Rob wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:10 am WHat does Driver Manager recommend? It's usually right.
Probably recommended driver was installed and tested as OP said I love linux but the 470.63 driver (With FXAA off) caused issues
So it was decided to get this official full featured one NVIDIA Linux x64 470.74 Display Driver
"
-=t42=-
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

John_316 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:43 amI downloaded the newest NVidia driver (NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-470.74.run) and can not get it to install. Have tried it in the terminal and it tells me, "you appear to be running an X server; please exit X before installing... and it goes on.
If you check the release notes for the driver you downloaded (always check the release notes!), it tells you that you should get the driver from your distro's package system rather than using the one on the Nvidia website. That is because the ones in Driver Manager (our distro's package system) are designed to work with the other packages used in Mint.

If you install the driver from the Nvidia website, there are specific steps you must follow which are different than installing other packages. To give you an idea of what you would need to do, here are the steps for manually installing the Nvidia-450 driver. You would use a similar process for the driver version you downloaded. Make sure to uninstall your current driver per the instructions included in this post.

Nvidia keeps making changes to their driver files, so I can not 100% guarantee that process will work for you. If you want to try it, take a Timeshift snapshot before attempting the install.

It usually takes a little time for the package managers to prepare the Nvidia updates so they are available in Driver Manager, but I expect there will be a Nvidia 470.74 version available soon. I've seen some updated drivers available within a few days of when I saw them available on the Nvidia website while others have taken as long as a couple of weeks, so I can not tell you when it will be available, but it will be available in Driver Manager in the near future.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
John_316
Level 1
Level 1

Post by John_316 »

If you check the release notes for the driver you downloaded (always check the release notes!), it tells you that you should get the driver from your distro's package system rather than using the one on the Nvidia website. That is because the ones in Driver Manager (our distro's package system) are designed to work with the other packages used in Mint.

I went to NVidia's website as the Driver Manager in Mint recommends 470.63.01 but this driver is causing me MASSIVE grief, I had to roll back to xserver-xorg-video-nouveau to get my P.C to run stable. Not sure what to do now!!!!
John_316
Level 1
Level 1

Post by John_316 »

Hoser Rob wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:10 am Where did you get that 470.63 driver? In Linux just dl'ing the newest driver from the mfr's site is not usually such a good idea. WHat does Driver Manager recommend? It's usually right.
The Driver Manager in Mint recommends 470.63.01 but this driver is causing me MASSIVE grief, I had to roll back to xserver-xorg-video-nouveau to get my P.C to run stable.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

John_316 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:19 amI went to NVidia's website as the Driver Manager in Mint recommends 470.63.01 but this driver is causing me MASSIVE grief, I had to roll back to xserver-xorg-video-nouveau to get my P.C to run stable. Not sure what to do now!!!!
You could try creating a thread asking for help and supply the system information requested in Section 5 of READ: How To Get Help! in the first post of that thread.

It seems to me you have already assumed the Nvidia driver is the problem, but perhaps there is something else in your setup which might be contributing to the issue. Without information about how Mint sees your computer, we are not really able to help.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
John_316
Level 1
Level 1

Post by John_316 »

SMG wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:37 am It seems to me you have already assumed the Nvidia driver is the problem, but perhaps there is something else in your setup which might be contributing to the issue. Without information about how Mint sees your computer, we are not really able to help.
Thank you!

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”