[SOLVED] 144Hz has a bug, 120Hz works okay. any suggestions?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ThaCrip
Level 5
Level 5

[SOLVED] 144Hz has a bug, 120Hz works okay. any suggestions?

Post by ThaCrip »

Code: Select all

System:
  Kernel: 5.11.0-36-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: N/A 
  Desktop: Cinnamon 5.0.5 wm: muffin 5.0.1 dm: LightDM 1.30.0 
  Distro: Linux Mint 20.2 Uma base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal 
Machine:
  Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: P8H61-M LX PLUS v: Rev x.0x 
  serial: <filter> UEFI: American Megatrends v: 4601 date: 09/18/2013 
CPU:
  Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i5-3550 bits: 64 type: MCP 
  arch: Ivy Bridge rev: 9 L2 cache: 6144 KiB 
  flags: avx lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 26338 
  Speed: 1734 MHz min/max: 1600/3700 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1611 2: 1683 
  3: 1622 4: 1693 
Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti] vendor: eVga.com. 
  driver: nvidia v: 470.63.01 bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 10de:1c82 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: nvidia 
  unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 
  v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 470.63.01 direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: NVIDIA GP107GL High Definition Audio vendor: eVga.com. 
  driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.1 chip ID: 10de:0fb9 
  Device-2: C-Media Audio Adapter (Unitek Y-247A) type: USB 
  driver: hid-generic,snd-usb-audio,usbhid bus ID: 2-1.3:5 
  chip ID: 0d8c:0014 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.11.0-36-generic 
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet 
  vendor: ASUSTeK P8P67 and other motherboards driver: r8169 v: kernel 
  port: d000 bus ID: 04:00.0 chip ID: 10ec:8168 
  IF: enp4s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
  IF-ID-1: virbr0 state: down mac: <filter> 
  IF-ID-2: virbr0-nic state: down mac: <filter> 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 29.8 C mobo: 27.8 C gpu: nvidia temp: 29 C 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A gpu: nvidia fan: 30% 
Info:
  Processes: 274 Uptime: 5d 4h 37m Memory: 15.60 GiB used: 3.71 GiB (23.8%) 
  Init: systemd v: 245 runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 9.3.0 alt: 9 Shell: bash 
  v: 5.0.17 running in: gnome-terminal inxi: 3.0.38
My physical connection setup on my Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB GPU is like this...

-DVI connection on GPU = Samsung LC24RG50 1080p 144Hz monitor. but I had to use a DVI to HDMI adapter (i.e. this should be exact one I am using... https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/ ... ter-Black/ ) since the monitor itself has no DVI support directly. so I just converted the GPU's DVI connection to a HDMI output using that adapter and then used a 6' HDMI cable to connect from back of that adapter (which is plugged into the DVI port on the 1050 Ti 4GB GPU) to the monitors 'HDMI 1' port.

-HDMI connection on GPU = 1080p TV @ 60Hz.

so with that said... I noticed when setting my monitor to 144Hz (which I do through Mint's 'Display' section), while it appears to work okay initially and I can use the computer like normal, that after I step away from the computer for say some odd hours and come back to it, move mouse like usual to turn screen back on (I also usually manually power off screen using power button on monitor to), then power on screen that you can see the monitor apparently has no signal to it as 'HDMI 1' is shown on Samsung monitor and keeps cycling that like it's trying to connect (like waiting for a connection) as even pressing the buttons on monitor to check to see if it's connected does nothing because I can't access monitors 'menu' when that's happening, so apparently there is no output from the GPU to the monitor at this point even though when this bug happens I checked the TV side and it's still showing a image like usual.

but I found a slight work-around which is when this bug is active (i.e. no signal to Samsung monitor) I just press CTRL+ALT+F2, which then engages the monitor and shows a login screen etc at which point I simply just press CTRL+ALT+F7 and then everything is back to normal with the GUI and I can proceed to use the computer like normal. but it will then repeat that same cycle consistently at 144Hz if it sits for some odd hours again. but everything appears to work fine while I am using it as it's only after it sits some odd hours and I come back to the computer that the bug happens.

but if I switch it to 120Hz the bug no longer exists and everything basically works as expected since sitting for hours or overnight and then I come back to it, move mouse, power on monitor, and you can see the lock screen like usual and then I can proceed to use computer like normal. so I am currently using 120Hz for now to avoid having that bug at 144Hz.

it's just odd that 144Hz has this bug, but 120Hz works fine. any thoughts?

NOTE: I would assume the monitor is actually 144Hz and 120Hz etc because the monitor itself (on it's 'Menu > Information' tab) shows it's connected at those Hz settings (even 'NVIDIA X Server Settings' on Linux shows 120Hz and 144Hz etc).

NOTE: this desktop computer does not go into suspend mode or anything of that sort as it's always on short of monitor powering down after some inactivity as it just powers off monitor after 30min and lock screen engages (or I sometimes manually engage the lock screen with CTRL+ALT+L before I walk away from the computer).

NOTE: I was using a ASUS VW246H 1080p monitor which runs at 60Hz (and I can directly connect this to my GPU's DVI connection since this monitor itself has a DVI connection) for 11.x years and everything was okay in regards to that until it died (CCFL's in it are probably what was at fault since I could still see a faint image of Linux Mint stuff when I use a flashlight at a certain angle pointing at the monitor but taking that apart in a attempt to consider fixing it was not going to happen as getting to the CCFL section of the monitor seems fairly difficult and more effort than it was worth (as capacitors in it looked okay etc) so I dumped it) and then this month I got a Samsung LC24RG50 1080p 144Hz monitor as a replacement which has no DVI connection directly.

EDIT (Sep 29th 2021): this is embarrassing but I just found out my EVGA Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB GPU DOES have a 'DP' connection (DP v1.4) as even checking the box it specifically says "Display Connectors-DP1.4, HDMI 2.0b, DL-DVI". so I guess the most obvious thing to try now is to get a DP cable and test it out and see if that 144Hz bug disappears. but either way, once I get a hold of a DP cable ill come back and edit this post with more info on whether it fixed it or not. NOTE: I think I failed to notice the DP port in the past because at the angle I generally view the GPU at as it's sort of hidden by the other cables and it has a black sort of plastic piece from manufacturer plugged into the DP which ill have to remove.

EDIT (Oct 4th 2021): while it will take me roughly another day or so to confirm whether this 144Hz bug disappeared or not, as I am now on the DisplayPort connection, I do notice this EVGA Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB GPU seems to default (which does not appear one can change it either since it appears to be the way the GPU itself handles things shortly after powering on etc) to outputting the computers BIOS screen upon starting up (when both the DP and HDMI connections are active) to the computer on the HDMI(TV) side as there is nothing visible AT ALL on the DP(Monitor) during boot as the DP monitor screen only becomes active after Mint loads to the main sign-in screen where you enter your password (and even here seems to show mainly on TV(HDMI) side with the more obvious visible area where you type in password) but after entering password the screens work as expected since Mint shifts things instantly back to the way I like them with DP(Monitor) being primary and HDMI(TV) as secondary. although initially during my first boot with the DP connection being used the first time, Mint switched things so that the HDMI(TV) was primary and DP(Monitor) was secondary as the Mint menu etc was on the TV side instead of the PC side where it should be. but that was a easy enough fix by going to 'Display' and switching the DP(Monitor) to 'primary'. then I had to adjust Hz back to 144Hz since it was on 60Hz initially. but I noticed if I ONLY have the DP connection active on the GPU that it displays everything as expected here as the computer BIOS screen and general bootup process is now shown on the DP(Monitor) connection. but when both the DP and HDMI are active, there is nothing shown on the DP side at all until Mint reaches the sign-in screen where you enter your password as then the DP monitor becomes active.

also, I don't know the details but I would assume the following is normal in the 'NVIDIA X Server Settings' on the DP connection thing where it says "Connection link: 2 lanes @ 5.40 Gbps" as looking online that seems to be pretty much to the DP v1.2 spec, which is all my monitor supports anyways even though the 1050 Ti 4GB GPU supposedly can do up to DP v1.4.

also, I confirmed the cheap DP cables I got (I got two of them for $9.xx on Ebay) are wired properly using multimeter as I tested in the small little holes instead of on the prongs within the connector itself as it was easier and more reliable this way (since you won't risk potential damage to the prong if your not gentle enough(that and I was having trouble getting it to make contact within the connectors prongs)) as on pin-20 there was no beep, which is what we want (because there should be no connection at all on pin-20 otherwise it can backfeed power into the GPU and cause system boot problems and potential hardware damage)), and on some other pins in that area, I tested those just to make sure the multimeter was truly making contact, had beeping sound which is expected since those are supposed to make a connection. so I basically confirmed the cable is wired properly before connecting it to the computer. because, at least some years ago there was apparently a real issue with DP cables... https://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/the- ... explained/ and even a YouTube video here (which actually shows it backfeeding power into the GPU from monitor side on a DP connection which it should not do as it could cause hardware damage and/or booting problems and even showed how to test the cables)... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s1cMwzesZI

EDIT (Oct 6th-7th 2021): well the 144Hz bug seems to be fixed by using DP cable instead of the DVI to HDMI adapter with 6' HDMI cable (but now I got another bug (which is now [SOLVED] as I eventually found out how to fix it), but ill create another topic for that (i.e. viewtopic.php?f=90&t=358603 )).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MainPC: i5-3550 (undervolted by -0.120v (CPU runs 12c cooler) /w stock i3-2120 hs/fan) | 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Backups: AMD E-300 CPU (8GB RAM) / Athlon X2 3600+ CPU (@2.3GHz@1.35v) (4GB RAM) | All /w Mint 21.x-Xfce

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”