nvidia driver 340 problem(solved)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sunil992
Level 3
Level 3

Re: nvidia driver 340 problem

Post by sunil992 »

SMG wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:14 pm...
omg i think some how it worked the first time i tried it didnt work the second time i purged and reinstalled the applet as we discussed above before apply applying the nvidia driver i tried

Code: Select all

sudo apt nvidia-prime code 
then applied and restarted i thought i got the black screen and i tried ctrl alt f1 and the somehow it booted to nvidia and wow . i tried

systemd-analyze
it take 45 seconds tho little slow i guess but not bad for the old laptop can we make it bit fast ?
Last edited by SMG on Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Shortened the long quote so the response was visible.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

sunil992 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:06 pm Under recovery I ran those command but it told me I install nvidia prime but when I tried it it couldn't install cuz lack of internet in recovery mode I guess
Recovery mode is different from switching to TTY. It is likely Recovery Mode did disable your internet and your graphics which is why we didn't want you using it in order to do this test.

When you boot and get a black screen and then switch to TTY, you are still booted regularly and not booted through recovery mode. Therefore you should still have internet and be able to run the commands.
sunil992 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:28 pmbefore apply applying the nvidia driver i tried

I do not know what that is, but let's see the output of inxi -SMCGx
sunil992 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:06 pmi tried

systemd-analyze
it take 45 seconds tho little slow i guess but not bad for the old laptop can we make it bit fast ?
Let's make sure we have the graphics issue fixed before discussing other issues.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
sunil992
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sunil992 »

SMG wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:06 pm
sunil992 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:06 pm Under recovery I ran those command but it told me I install nvidia prime but when I tried it it couldn't install cuz lack of internet in recovery mode I guess
Recovery mode is different from switching to TTY. It is likely Recovery Mode did disable your internet and your graphics which is why we didn't want you using it in order to do this test.

When you boot and get a black screen and then switch to TTY, you are still booted regularly and not booted through recovery mode. Therefore you should still have internet and be able to run the commands.
sunil992 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:28 pmbefore apply applying the nvidia driver i tried

I do not know what that is, but let's see the output of inxi -SMCGx
sunil992 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:06 pmi tried

systemd-analyze
Let's make sure we have the graphics issue fixed before discussing other issues.
sorry my ba i meant i sued

sudo apt nvidia-prime
. i could'nt get to the console like you suggested to i had to go to recovery mode then to root to run the commands

inxi -SMCGx
System:
  Host: zoro-Lenovo-G400s-Touch Kernel: 5.4.0-88-generic x86_64 bits: 64 
  compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0 Desktop: Xfce 4.16.0 Distro: Linux Mint 20.2 Uma 
  base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal 
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: LENOVO product: 20262 v: Lenovo G400s Touch 
  serial: <superuser/root required> 
  Mobo: LENOVO model: INVALID v: 31900004Std 
  serial: <superuser/root required> UEFI: LENOVO v: 7BCN38WW(V2.04) 
  date: 12/10/2013 
CPU:
  Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core i5-3230M bits: 64 type: MT MCP 
  arch: Ivy Bridge rev: 9 L2 cache: 3072 KiB 
  flags: avx lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 20752 
  Speed: 1198 MHz min/max: 1200/3200 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1197 2: 1197 
  3: 1197 4: 1197 
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics vendor: Lenovo 
  driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
  Device-2: NVIDIA GF117M [GeForce 610M/710M/810M/820M / GT 
  620M/625M/630M/720M] 
  vendor: Lenovo driver: nvidia v: 340.108 bus ID: 01:00.0 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: modesetting,nvidia 
  unloaded: fbdev,nouveau,vesa resolution: 1366x768~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GT 720M/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.4.0 NVIDIA 340.108 
  direct render: Yes 
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

This output appears to show your computer in Nvidia Performance mode. I would think you the nvidia-prime-applet would be an Nvidia icon in your lower right section of the screen on your panel. Not all manufacturers use the same technology for switching graphics, so that may be why you ended up with the black screen instead of the system just using the Intel graphics.

Graphics:
Device-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics vendor: Lenovo
driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0
Device-2: NVIDIA GF117M [GeForce 610M/710M/810M/820M / GT
620M/625M/630M/720M]
vendor: Lenovo driver: nvidia v: 340.108 bus ID: 01:00.0
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: modesetting,nvidia
unloaded: fbdev,nouveau,vesa resolution: 1366x768~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GT 720M/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.4.0 NVIDIA 340.108
direct render: Yes

You should be able to switch to using Intel by changing the mode on the nvidia-prime-applet and rebooting the computer. Because your computer reacted a little differently after installing the Nvidia driver, I will not make guarantees that switching will work perfectly. :mrgreen: However, you can take a Timeshift snapshot of your system as it currently is so you can return to this state if something happens. Keep both this snapshot and the other snapshot--just label them in the comments field so you know which is which.

You mentioned earlier about how long it was taking to boot. Forty-five seconds is not a long time for a hard-disk drive running Nvidia graphics. An SSD would probably make your system faster, and possibly using the nouveau driver might as well. I have heard others say using the Nvidia driver meant their system was slower to boot. I believe that may be because of how the Nvidia modules build and load during the boot process.

Please go to your first post in this topic, click the pencil icon, and add [SOLVED] to the title so others know you are no longer seeking help on this Nvidia driver issue.
sunil992
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sunil992 »

SMG wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:08 amYou should be able to switch to using Intel by changing the mode on the nvidia-prime-applet and rebooting the computer. Because your computer reacted a little differently after installing the Nvidia driver, I will not make guarantees that switching will work perfectly. :mrgreen: However, you can take a Timeshift snapshot of your system as it currently is so you can return to this state if something happens. Keep both this snapshot and the other snapshot--just label them in the comments field so you know which is which.
Will there be any benefit of switching to Intel graphics mode ? Again thank you for your help I am fearful of changing anything I am not doing any cpu Intrinsic work I just want to be able to do CS0 with it and run few programs
Last edited by SMG on Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Shortened quote so response is more evident.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

sunil992 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:55 amWill there be any benefit of switching to Intel graphics mode ? Again thank you for your help I am fearful of changing anything I am not doing any cpu Intrinsic work I just want to be able to do CS0 with it and run few programs
What is CS0?

Intel mode requires less power so if you are running in battery mode then the battery is likely to last longer. Your system may also stay a little bit cooler by using Intel rather than Nvidia. However, it really depends on the specifics of your hardware as to the differences.

I had you check in your BIOS/UEFI setting earlier in this topic and you said it was set to Switchable. There is usually one other settings (and sometimes two) as to what graphics can be used. If the other setting was Discrete then that means Nvidia only.

If your computer has Switchable and Discrete, then that means you have to stay with Switchable to be able to use Intel graphics.
sunil992
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sunil992 »

SMG wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:02 pm
sunil992 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:55 amWill there be any benefit of switching to Intel graphics mode ? Again thank you for your help I am fearful of changing anything I am not doing any cpu Intrinsic work I just want to be able to do CS0 with it and run few programs
What is CS0?

Intel mode requires less power so if you are running in battery mode then the battery is likely to last longer. Your system may also stay a little bit cooler by using Intel rather than Nvidia. However, it really depends on the specifics of your hardware as to the differences.

I had you check in your BIOS/UEFI setting earlier in this topic and you said it was set to Switchable. There is usually one other settings (and sometimes two) as to what graphics can be used. If the other setting was Discrete then that means Nvidia only.

If your computer has Switchable and Discrete, then that means you have to stay with Switchable to be able to use Intel graphics.

Its cs50 actually Harvard beginner course for computer science hope some day I can contribute to linux mint I love rhso friendly community ❤️ . I will try the intel graphics mode although the laptop is old it doesn't Store much charge so I keep it plugged in always when I am using .
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: nvidia driver 340 problem(solved)

Post by SMG »

I thought maybe it was a game. :lol: People use abbreviations when referring to games on the forum, but I'm not a gamer so I do not always recognize what the abbreviations mean.

It's been quite a while since I've done coding, so I do not know what might be needed for such a course.
sunil992
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sunil992 »

SMG wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:21 pm I thought maybe it was a game. :lol: People use abbreviations when referring to games on the forum, but I'm not a gamer so I do not always recognize what the abbreviations mean.

It's been quite a while since I've done coding, so I do not know what might be needed for such a course.
I am not much of a gamer myself these days. I cna bet you are quite tech savvy ans knowledgeable with Linux and coding stuff . I would love to have knowledge of Linux of your level maybe more . How did you develop your interest in Linux and coding I would hear from someone experience.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

sunil992 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:29 pmI cna bet you are quite tech savvy ans knowledgeable with Linux and coding stuff . I would love to have knowledge of Linux of your level maybe more . How did you develop your interest in Linux and coding I would hear from someone experience.
See the third quote and my response in this post when I was asked a similar question earlier this year.
sunil992
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sunil992 »

SMG wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:20 pm
sunil992 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:29 pmI cna bet you are quite tech savvy ans knowledgeable with Linux and coding stuff . I would love to have knowledge of Linux of your level maybe more . How did you develop your interest in Linux and coding I would hear from someone experience.
See the third quote and my response in this post when I was asked a similar question earlier this year.
that's some great advice wish i had my major in computer science . i tried the intel graphics which say power saving mode . although it booted it had same problem the home folder and trash didn't appear
and the mouse icon looked like a crosshair what should i do ?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

sunil992 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:35 pm i tried the intel graphics which say power saving mode . although it booted it had same problem the home folder and trash didn't appear
I went back to your earlier post and saw you mentioned "half of things doesn't load in startup". That does not sound like an issue related to the graphics driver. That sounds more like an issue with either permissions or corrupted or missing files. I suggest creating a new topic on that issue. You can add a link to this topic if you think the issues might be related.
sunil992
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sunil992 »

SMG wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:51 am
sunil992 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:35 pm i tried the intel graphics which say power saving mode . although it booted it had same problem the home folder and trash didn't appear
I went back to your earlier post and saw you mentioned "half of things doesn't load in startup". That does not sound like an issue related to the graphics driver. That sounds more like an issue with either permissions or corrupted or missing files. I suggest creating a new topic on that issue. You can add a link to this topic if you think the issues might be related.
but its loading fine in nvidia driver ?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

sunil992 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:39 ambut its loading fine in nvidia driver ?
You can use the nvidia instead of the Intel if you want. The data you posted earlier in the thread when Intel was loaded indicated the correct Intel graphics drivers were loaded. This topic was about getting the Nvidia driver loaded and working. That has been completed.

If you want to investigate why Mint is not loading properly when you use Intel graphics, please create a new topic. Whether or not the trash and home folders appear on your desktop does not sound like a graphics driver issue. It sounds like an issue of the desktop environment (Xfce) not loading properly. I do not have an Xfce desktop so my ability to help with those issues is limited.
sunil992
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sunil992 »

SMG wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:04 pm
sunil992 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:39 ambut its loading fine in nvidia driver ?
You can use the nvidia instead of the Intel if you want. The data you posted earlier in the thread when Intel was loaded indicated the correct Intel graphics drivers were loaded. This topic was about getting the Nvidia driver loaded and working. That has been completed.

If you want to investigate why Mint is not loading properly when you use Intel graphics, please create a new topic. Whether or not the trash and home folders appear on your desktop does not sound like a graphics driver issue. It sounds like an issue of the desktop environment (Xfce) not loading properly. I do not have an Xfce desktop so my ability to help with those issues is limited.
thank you for the help i will be using nvidia driver for while i don't want to mess up :D
sunil992
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sunil992 »

SMG wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:04 pm

solved the intel problem too read a thread about it and changed the desktop environment xfwm4 + compton and it did the trick thank you gain i got the clue from your last post . now i got a mouse problem i have two finger scroll but sometimes things selected dragged with touch i am not sure what sensitivity to check or adjust
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

sunil992 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:31 pmsolved the intel problem too read a thread about it and changed the desktop environment xfwm4 + compton and it did the trick thank you gain i got the clue from your last post .
You are on your way to becoming an expert. :wink: Thanks for confirming the issue was not the Intel graphics driver.
sunil992 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:31 pmnow i got a mouse problem i have two finger scroll but sometimes things selected dragged with touch i am not sure what sensitivity to check or adjust
Here is the xfce4-settings - Mouse and Touchpad documentation. Make a new thread on the issue if you continue to have problems with it.
sunil992
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sunil992 »

SMG wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:47 pm
sunil992 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:31 pmsolved the intel problem too read a thread about it and changed the desktop environment xfwm4 + compton and it did the trick thank you gain i got the clue from your last post .
You are on your way to becoming an expert. :wink: Thanks for confirming the issue was not the Intel graphics driver.
sunil992 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:31 pmnow i got a mouse problem i have two finger scroll but sometimes things selected dragged with touch i am not sure what sensitivity to check or adjust
Here is the xfce4-settings - Mouse and Touchpad documentation. Make a new thread on the issue if you continue to have problems with it.
Thanks you for you help . i guess i am learning from the best . i did have one other problem of choppy scrolling and i made another thread

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”