Problem with program list

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bgfra
Level 1
Level 1

Problem with program list

Post by bgfra »

i gentlemen,

I'm using Linux Mint Tricia
When I start the explorer in order to choose a program (Linux mint icon down on the right bottom) the image that pops up is to big and I cannot reach the top.
So I can't choose anymore a program inserting the starting words (see image annexed).
As you can see it cuts off at "toutes les applications", normally there is an another line over that and I can insert the first words of an entry so that the explorer suggests me a program to load .
I checked the screen resolution and it is OK, everything else fits just fine, any suggestion ?

Thanks
screen.jpg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
=====================================
Glad Linux Mint user coming from window$ mess
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Problem with program list

Post by xenopeek »

I don't know how it worked for Linux Mint 19.3 but on 20.3 you can right-click the menu button on the panel, select Configure from the context menu, then in the window that opens go to the Menu tab and there you can toggle to use a fixed menu height and then you can set the height in pixels. Set it to less than your screen height, say 50% or 75% of your screen height. That should work on 19.3 also.

Why the menu gets that high I don't know.
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

What screen resolution do you have set? Can you go to "Preferences" "Display" and change to a higher resolution?
bgfra
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bgfra »

Hi,257
first answer, I went to preference and I tried 1366x768 and 1360x768 , there is not difference, these are the higher configuration that it gives me.
Second answer, right clicking the menu panel/button, doesn't give anything.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

From the release notes: "While pressing the ALT key, you can grab any part of a window with the mouse and move it across the screen." This will let you move a window (that isn't maximized) up above the top of your screen so you can see the bottom half of the window. And so on. Use that to get to the part of the window where you can disable HiDPI mode.

If you can't find your way back to the display settings, press Ctrl+Alt+T to open the Terminal and then type the command:
cinnamon-settings display
That will open the display settings. Then use the above trick to get the bottom half of the display settings window on the screen and disable HiDPI mode.

Right-clicking the menu button (the one in the bottom left corner in your screenshot) works in all Linux Mint versions and editions. If you're left handed and have reversed your mouse buttons, click the other mouse button. After you disable HiDPI try right-clicking the menu button again.
bgfra wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:47 pmI went to preference and I tried 1366x768 and 1360x768 , there is not difference, these are the higher configuration that it gives me.
Is this unexpected or is this simply the native resolution for your display? This is a typical resolution for netbooks and other small laptops. With 768 display height you will run into the problem that some windows won't fit. Use the trick from above for such windows.
bgfra
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bgfra »

Thank you for you fast help. I could solve it , that's why I cancelled my post, someway (I think using alt+right mouse button) I could reach the right spot on my screen.
I panicked, tomorrow I must fly from Tunisia to France and I've got all my papers in PDF format that I couldn't print.

Thanks a lot, very kind of you.
bgfra
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bgfra »

xenopeek wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:38 pm
Is this unexpected or is this simply the native resolution for your display? This is a typical resolution for netbooks and other small laptops. With 768 display height you will run into the problem that some windows won't fit. Use the trick from above for such windows.
It is the native resolution , it's a laptop, suddenly my previous problem doesn't seem that bad to me :lol: :lol:

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”