Currently running without ...again (SOLVED)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Prsman
Level 4
Level 4

Currently running without ...again (SOLVED)

Post by Prsman »

I just upgraded to Mint cinnamon 20.3. I installed the right driver for my card with the driver manager. Now when I boot up I get the currently running with...message. I ran Nvidia settings tool. Settings looked right. Now when I go system settings/display, it shows a laptop screen with 77hz refresh rate. It should be a Samsung Monitor @ 60hz.

Code: Select all

Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA TU116 [GeForce GTX 1660] driver: nvidia v: 470.86 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau 
  unloaded: vesa resolution: 1920x1080~77Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 12.0.0 256 bits) v: 4.5 Mesa 21.0.3 
When I run nvidia-settings in terminal I get :

ERROR: Unable to load info from any available system

(nvidia-settings:4179): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 19:34:14.108: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

On screen I get a window with nothing in it, just the option to quit. Also I get this error message in Display if I try to change a setting.
Screenshot from 2022-01-21 19-41-23.png
Needless to say looking for help. Did not have this problem with 19.3. thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Currently running without ...again

Post by SMG »

You may be able to make a quick fix by restarting the X Server with Ctl-Alt-Backspace. It doesn't always work, but often does.

I think your problem is similar to the one in this topic [SOLVED] NVIDIA driver failing sometimes on boot ("no hardware acceleration"). Let us know if the fix roblm recommends in the second post addresses the issue for you.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Prsman
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Currently running without ...again (Maybe Fixed)

Post by Prsman »

Ok, I think I fixed this. In startup applications there was Nvidia Prime. I only have one video card. I removed it from startup and rebooted. No error message.
Dont know why Prime was installed and set to run on boot. If this problem does not come back I will close this post. Let it sit overnight. Also Nvidia Settings is in startup as well. Do I need it there? Nvidia-Settings now runs, no failure.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Currently running without ...again (Maybe Fixed)

Post by SMG »

Prsman wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:09 am Ok, I think I fixed this. In startup applications there was Nvidia Prime. I only have one video card. I removed it from startup and rebooted. No error message.
Dont know why Prime was installed and set to run on boot.
The listing in start-up applications is for the nvidia-prime-applet which is a Linux Mint file that is included in every Linux Mint install regardless of the GPU being used. If one does not have a dual-graphics computer then the applet (which can be used for switching graphics) will not run in your panel. It is not related to the issue you posted and removing it from start-up did not solve your issue.

I already posted the most likely reason for the issue. When it comes back, please follow the suggestions I made to correct the issue.
Prsman wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:09 am If this problem does not come back I will close this post. Let it sit overnight.
The problem only happens when you boot the computer. If you did not shut down the computer overnight then it will not happen.
Prsman wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:09 amAlso Nvidia Settings is in startup as well. Do I need it there? Nvidia-Settings now runs, no failure.
Whether Nvidia Settings app starts at start up or when you open it manually is your choice.
Prsman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Prsman »

Hi SMG. I shutdown this computer for the night. This morning I started it up and no error, all is as it should be. System settings/desktop shows the right monitor.
With Nvidia Prime removed from the start applications, the problem is gone. But, gremlin number 2 is this. Nvidia-settings is in the start applications but does not show up on the screen. I have to start it from terminal or the start menu. Doing ps -aux in terminal I get:

root         842  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    08:25   0:00 [nvidia-modeset/]
root         845  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        I<   08:25   0:00 [kworker/2:1H-kblockd]
root         846  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    08:25   0:00 [nvidia-modeset/]
nvidia-+     977  0.0  0.0   5200  1876 ?        Ss   08:25   0:00 /usr/bin/nvidia-persistenced --user nvidia-persistenced --no-persistence-mode --verb
root         979  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        I<   08:25   0:00 [kworker/5:1H-kblockd]
root         995  3.2  0.0      0     0 ?        S    08:25   0:34 [irq/146-nvidia]
root         996  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    08:25   0:00 [nvidia]
root         997  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S    08:25   0:00 [nv_queue]
In dmesg I get this:

5.473049] audit: type=1400 audit(1642868701.946:4): apparmor="STATUS" operation="profile_load" profile="unconfined" name="nvidia_modprobe" pid=612 comm="apparmor_parser"
[    5.473050] audit: type=1400 audit(1642868701.946:5): apparmor="STATUS" operation="profile_load" profile="unconfined" name="nvidia_modprobe//kmod" pid=612 comm="apparmor_parser"
I am going to remove Nvidia-settings from the start menu too since it does not show up. I am not making changes to the monitor settings. Thanks for your help with this.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

When you upgraded to LM20.3, was that a fresh install of LM20.3 or did you upgrade in place from LM19.3?
Prsman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Prsman »

Fresh install. Wiped the partitions and install. Checked the download sha256sum and checked install medium. No errors. I will power down and restart, if the error is gone I will close. Right now everything looks good and is working. What is strange is why the installer put Prime and Settings in the startup applications. This cpu does not have a vga port on the motherboard. Thanks.

Problem is back. Will try the solution you refered to earlier in this post.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Prsman wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:09 pm What is strange is why the installer put Prime and Settings in the startup applications.
I have already explained to you that it is a Linux Mint applet that is installed to all Linux Mint installations, regardless of what graphics your computer has. All Linux Mint applications have it in the start-up. You installed Linux Mint. Therefore you have it in the start-up application. It would be strange if you did not have it in the start-up applications.

My computer only has Intel graphics. I have Prime in my start-up applications (I have it turned off because I do not need it).

When you install a proprietary Nvidia driver, the Nvidia code adds the Nvidia Server Settings app to your start-up applications.
Prsman wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:09 pm Problem is back.
The problem is a timing issue. The timing of whether or not the Nvidia driver modules are ready when the X Server starts. The fix I provided gets them to load sooner to make sure they are ready on a consistent basis when X Server starts. Otherwise, the faster loading nouveau driver sneaks in ahead of nvidia and blocks nvidia from being used.
Prsman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Prsman »

Hi SMG. Your suggested use of robim's fix worked. Rebooted twice and no message appears. I will close this post. Thanks to you and robim. And for the explanation of the problem.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”