lenovo T440 Thinkpad Touchscreen

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: lenovo T440 Thinkpad Touchscreen

Post by SMG »

:(

X Server runs the graphics and input for Mint. Please use this command in a terminal to upload to termbin parts of the X Server log file that I think might help us:

Code: Select all

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep -i 'config\|touch' | nc termbin.com 9999
It will return with a url address that you can post in your next reply.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Bob M
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bob M »

Touchscreen13.png
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

X Server is looking at the directory we created (first line) and the system is using information from the config files. (Those are the lines with (**) in them.)

[     9.736] (==) Using config directory: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d"
[     9.736] (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
There are references to InputClass "touchscreen catchall" which is the one in your file. It seems like everything except what we wanted is using it. :? I compared results to my X Server log just to make sure. (I do not have a modified file.)

[    10.316] (**) Power Button: Applying InputClass "touchscreen catchall"
[    10.340] (**) Video Bus: Applying InputClass "touchscreen catchall"
[    10.364] (**) Sleep Button: Applying InputClass "touchscreen catchall"
[    10.382] (**) Integrated Camera: Integrated C: Applying InputClass "touchscreen catchall"
[    10.454] (**) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Applying InputClass "touchscreen catchall"
[    10.476] (**) AlpsPS/2 ALPS DualPoint Stick: Applying InputClass "touchscreen catchall"
[    10.508] (**) AlpsPS/2 ALPS DualPoint TouchPad: Applying InputClass "touchscreen catchall"
This line, for the one item for which we wanted to use the custom file, is using the system file.

[    10.421] (**) ELAN Touchscreen: Applying InputClass "libinput touchscreen catchall"
[    10.421] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'ELAN Touchscreen'
[    10.451] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "ELAN Touchscreen" (type: TOUCHSCREEN, id 10)
I checked some other references. Some people put the custom file in the system config directory instead of the location for user customizations. Others indicated creating the new file did not work. They rewrote the info in the system file knowing it might be overwritten at a later date. I do not know what the difference might be with regards to it working for some people and not for others.

I will see if I can figure out why the custom file did work, but did not work the way we wanted it to work.
Bob M
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bob M »

Small comfort I know, but we do know that the Touchscreen can be turned off.

We know "xinput disable 10" does it immediately, with the only problem being it's working fine again next Boot.

I wish I could be of help but this by far the greatest depth I've ever been to with Linux. :D
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

I went through quite a bit of documentation today and I do not know why that is not working the way we want it to work. However, since it is not working as intended, might as well remove the file. It will return with a prompt when done.

sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-disabletouchscreen.conf
Then remove the directory. It will also return with a prompt when done.

sudo rmdir /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d

I did find mention of turning off the touchscreen by name rather than by input number. See if the following works to turn it off.

xinput disable "ELAN touchscreen"
If that does not work, here is another option to try.

xinput set-prop "ELAN touchscreen" "Device Enabled" 0
Because neither of those contain an input number which might change, they could be added to start-up applications so you do not have to type or run them manually on each boot.
Bob M
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bob M »

Sorry about the delay getting back but had unexpected visitors.

Anyway, here is the response to our last efforts.
Touchscreen14.png
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Bob M wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:48 amAnyway, here is the response to our last efforts.
Was the touchscreen enabled when you ran this (you had not run the xinput disable 10)? If so, then I guess that does not work either. That also will rule out another way to automate turning it off.

I do not have a touchscreen available to me to be able to test anything ahead of time, so that complicates my ability to help you. The other options I found were either more complicated that what we have tried or they were editing system files. My coding skills are currently not a point where I can give you a line to type and it would automatically change a file line for you. I can only give instructions on what to change and save and you would have to do that in a file editor. Given the challenges that presented in this topic, I think the current solution may be the best one.
Bob M
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bob M »

This is real weird.

I can confirm that the Touchscreen is still working and ELAN Touchscreen can still be seen by "xinput' but not by "xinput disable "ELAN touchscreen" or xinput set-prop "ELAN touchscreen" "Device Enabled" 0.

Wonder if anyone on the Software side of things can shed any further light on the matter?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Bob M wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:05 pmWonder if anyone on the Software side of things can shed any further light on the matter?
A touchscreen is hardware. Xinput and X Server are the "software" that run the touchscreen. You know that already because you used the xinput command to disable it.

The "software" would be taking the system file I originally asked you to print out and change the "on" to "off" and see if it works. If you want to try that, I suggest taking a Timeshift snapshot before doing it because you were not always successful when using the editor to change and save files.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”