Black screen after suspend on Ryzen 5500u

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kadiri2006
Level 1
Level 1

Black screen after suspend on Ryzen 5500u

Post by kadiri2006 »

Code: Select all

kadiri-linux@kadiri:~$ inxi -Fxxxrz
System:    Kernel: 5.13.0-27-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: N/A Desktop: Cinnamon 5.2.7 wm: muffin 5.2.0 dm: LightDM 1.30.0 
           Distro: Linux Mint 20.3 Una base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal 
Machine:   Type: Laptop System: Micro-Star product: Modern 15 A5M v: REV:1.0 serial: <filter> Chassis: type: 10 
           serial: <filter> 
           Mobo: Micro-Star model: MS-155L v: REV:1.0 serial: <filter> UEFI: American Megatrends LLC. v: E155LAMS.106 
           date: 05/27/2021 
Battery:   ID-1: BAT1 charge: 26.4 Wh condition: 46.9/52.4 Wh (90%) volts: 11.4/11.4 model: MSI BIF0_9 type: Li-ion 
           serial: N/A status: Discharging 
CPU:       Topology: 6-Core model: AMD Ryzen 5 5500U with Radeon Graphics bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Zen rev: 1 
           L2 cache: 3072 KiB 
           flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm bogomips: 50304 
           Speed: 1399 MHz min/max: 1400/2100 MHz boost: enabled Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1397 2: 1398 3: 1397 4: 1397 5: 1397 
           6: 1723 7: 1397 8: 1397 9: 1397 10: 1397 11: 1434 12: 1397 
Graphics:  Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: amdgpu v: kernel bus ID: 04:00.0 
           chip ID: 1002:164c 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: amdgpu,ati unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: AMD RENOIR (DRM 3.41.0 5.13.0-27-generic LLVM 12.0.0) v: 4.6 Mesa 21.0.3 direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 04:00.1 chip ID: 1002:1637 
           Device-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Raven/Raven2/FireFlight/Renoir Audio Processor vendor: Micro-Star MSI 
           driver: snd_rn_pci_acp3x v: kernel bus ID: 04:00.5 chip ID: 1022:15e2 
           Device-3: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 17h HD Audio vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
           bus ID: 04:00.6 chip ID: 1022:15e3 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.13.0-27-generic 
Network:   Device-1: Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 8086:2723 
           IF: wlp1s0 state: up mac: <filter> 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 476.94 GiB used: 20.47 GiB (4.3%) 
           ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Kingston model: OM8PCP3512F-AI1 size: 476.94 GiB speed: 31.6 Gb/s lanes: 4 
           serial: <filter> rev: ECFK52.8 scheme: GPT 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 82.26 GiB used: 20.43 GiB (24.8%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/nvme0n1p8 
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 3.81 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/nvme0n1p7 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 36.1 C mobo: N/A gpu: amdgpu temp: 32 C 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Repos:     No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list 
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/cappelikan-ppa-focal.list 
           1: deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/cappelikan/ppa/ubuntu focal main
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/git-core-ppa-focal.list 
           1: deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/git-core/ppa/ubuntu focal main
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list 
           1: deb [arch=amd64] https://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list 
           1: deb http://packages.linuxmint.com una main upstream import backport #id:linuxmint_main
           2: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal main restricted universe multiverse
           3: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates main restricted universe multiverse
           4: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-backports main restricted universe multiverse
           5: deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ focal-security main restricted universe multiverse
           6: deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ focal partner
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vscode.list 
           1: deb [arch=amd64,arm64,armhf] http://packages.microsoft.com/repos/code stable main
Info:      Processes: 325 Uptime: 11m Memory: 7.13 GiB used: 1.33 GiB (18.6%) Init: systemd v: 245 runlevel: 5 Compilers: 
           gcc: 9.3.0 alt: 9 Shell: bash v: 5.0.17 running in: gnome-terminal inxi: 3.0.38 
kadiri-linux@kadiri:~$ 
followed all procedures but still screen is not wakeup from suspend
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Black screen after suspend on Ryzen 5500u

Post by SMG »

kadiri2006 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:07 pmfollowed all procedures but still screen is not wakeup from suspend
Welcome to the forum, kadiri2006.

A lot of people with AMD graphics have been having issues with their computers not resuming from suspend. It seems to be a problem related to the graphics driver.

Are you pressing the power button to restart the computer after this happens? If so, I suggest checking the logs after you restart.

journalctl -rb -1 | nc termbin.com 9999
That command prints the journal log information of the prior boot cycle (the one which you stopped with the power button) in reverse order (so the reason for the problem should be near the top) and sends it to termbin. It will return with a url address that you should post if you want us to help you analyze it.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
AidenJames1995

Post by AidenJames1995 »

Just to chime in, I too have started having this issue recently (well similar; specifically after the monitors turn off after inactivity - for power saving). It only started after Mint decided to force me to upgrade to kernel 5.13 (never actually told the update manager to install it). I didn't have the problem with 5.11. I have to move the mouse, hit a key on the keyboard, then click or move my mouse again before I get the monitors to wake up. (This is an unrelated system to my other recent post - the system with black screen from inactivity does have a Radeon GPU).
kadiri2006
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kadiri2006 »

SMG wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:01 am
kadiri2006 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:07 pmfollowed all procedures but still screen is not wakeup from suspend
Welcome to the forum, kadiri2006.

A lot of people with AMD graphics have been having issues with their computers not resuming from suspend. It seems to be a problem related to the graphics driver.

Are you pressing the power button to restart the computer after this happens? If so, I suggest checking the logs after you restart.

journalctl -rb -1 | nc termbin.com 9999
That command prints the journal log information of the prior boot cycle (the one which you stopped with the power button) in reverse order (so the reason for the problem should be near the top) and sends it to termbin. It will return with a url address that you should post if you want us to help you analyze it.

clicked on menu->quit->suspend after that pc completely turnedoff and i close the lid.after 10 sec just opend lid but nothing happed ,so press the power button but only keyboard back light is showing but screen is completely dark,i did not shows anything .so i long press power button then pc goes to shutdown and again after i press the power button and pc is turned on .i just enter command wht you said in your reply its given below url.

https://termbin.com/9mnr3
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

AidenJames1995 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:54 am Just to chime in, I too have started having this issue recently (well similar; specifically after the monitors turn off after inactivity - for power saving). It only started after Mint decided to force me to upgrade to kernel 5.13 (never actually told the update manager to install it). I didn't have the problem with 5.11. I have to move the mouse, hit a key on the keyboard, then click or move my mouse again before I get the monitors to wake up.
If your monitor is waking up, then your issue is different and you should create a new topic for your issue. Additionally, it sounds like you may have a desktop and this topic is about a specific laptop. Many issues of this kind are hardware specific.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

kadiri2006 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:31 amclicked on menu->quit->suspend after that pc completely turnedoff and i close the lid.after 10 sec just opend lid but nothing happed ,so press the power button but only keyboard back light is showing but screen is completely dark,i did not shows anything .so i long press power button then pc goes to shutdown and again after i press the power button and pc is turned on .i just enter command wht you said in your reply its given below url.
It's really better to let the computer finish starting up before attempting to put it to sleep. Just because you see something on the screen does not mean all the background processes have completed and all the start-up information has been written to the logs.

You had the computer on for a total of 17 seconds.
Jan 29 10:53:02 - start
Jan 29 10:53:19 - end

I do not see any messages indicating the computer was suspended. However, it is possible all that was still in the queue and never had time to write to the log because you shut down so fast.

Please let the computer run for a couple of minutes before you try suspending. Then let the computer suspend for at least a couple of minutes before you attempt to wake it.
kadiri2006
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kadiri2006 »

SMG wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:03 am
kadiri2006 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:31 amclicked on menu->quit->suspend after that pc completely turnedoff and i close the lid.after 10 sec just opend lid but nothing happed ,so press the power button but only keyboard back light is showing but screen is completely dark,i did not shows anything .so i long press power button then pc goes to shutdown and again after i press the power button and pc is turned on .i just enter command wht you said in your reply its given below url.
It's really better to let the computer finish starting up before attempting to put it to sleep. Just because you see something on the screen does not mean all the background processes have completed and all the start-up information has been written to the logs.

You had the computer on for a total of 17 seconds.
Jan 29 10:53:02 - start
Jan 29 10:53:19 - end

I do not see any messages indicating the computer was suspended. However, it is possible all that was still in the queue and never had time to write to the log because you shut down so fast.

Please let the computer run for a couple of minutes before you try suspending. Then let the computer suspend for at least a couple of minutes before you attempt to wake it.

ok i will provide new link while following your suggestions
kadiri2006
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kadiri2006 »

this is new one : https://termbin.com/d81c
Last edited by SMG on Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed redundant quote.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

This one did show at the end the computer was suspended.

Jan 29 23:04:40 kadiri systemd-sleep[1667]: Suspending system...
Jan 29 23:04:40 kadiri systemd[1]: Starting Suspend...
Jan 29 23:04:40 kadiri systemd[1]: Starting Record successful boot for GRUB...
Jan 29 23:04:40 kadiri systemd[1]: Reached target Sleep.
There is nothing after that to indicate the operating system received a message to resume from suspend.

You mentioned earlier:
clicked on menu->quit->suspend after that pc completely turnedoff and i close the lid.after 10 sec just opend lid but nothing happed ,so press the power button but only keyboard back light is showing but screen is completely dark,i did not shows anything .
which sounds like opening the lid is not sending a message to wake up. However, pressing the power button should have sent the message, and the fact some of the hardware did wake (keyboard backlight) indicates the wake message from the firmware did start.

Make sure your system is running the most recent BIOS/UEFI available. The ACPI tables in the BIOS/UEFI are a factor in the ability of a laptop to resume from sleep.

In some of the other cases where the screen was black when resuming from suspend on AMD computers, the computer itself was resuming from suspend. It was only the graphics driver errors which caused the display not to resume. In your situation, it seems the computer itself is not resuming from suspend.

I do not know that it would help, but you could try the 5.14-oem kernel. You can install the latest 5.14-oem kernel with sudo apt install linux-oem-20.04d and reboot.
kadiri2006
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kadiri2006 »

SMG wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:13 pm This one did show at the end the computer was suspended.

Jan 29 23:04:40 kadiri systemd-sleep[1667]: Suspending system...
Jan 29 23:04:40 kadiri systemd[1]: Starting Suspend...
Jan 29 23:04:40 kadiri systemd[1]: Starting Record successful boot for GRUB...
Jan 29 23:04:40 kadiri systemd[1]: Reached target Sleep.
There is nothing after that to indicate the operating system received a message to resume from suspend.

You mentioned earlier:
clicked on menu->quit->suspend after that pc completely turnedoff and i close the lid.after 10 sec just opend lid but nothing happed ,so press the power button but only keyboard back light is showing but screen is completely dark,i did not shows anything .
which sounds like opening the lid is not sending a message to wake up. However, pressing the power button should have sent the message, and the fact some of the hardware did wake (keyboard backlight) indicates the wake message from the firmware did start.

Make sure your system is running the most recent BIOS/UEFI available. The ACPI tables in the BIOS/UEFI are a factor in the ability of a laptop to resume from sleep.

In some of the other cases where the screen was black when resuming from suspend on AMD computers, the computer itself was resuming from suspend. It was only the graphics driver errors which caused the display not to resume. In your situation, it seems the computer itself is not resuming from suspend.

I do not know that it would help, but you could try the 5.14-oem kernel. You can install the latest 5.14-oem kernel with sudo apt install linux-oem-20.04d and reboot.

my bios is newly updated one ,actually i am dual booting windows 11 and linux mint .i does not face sleeping issues in windows 11but this happens only in linux side.i recently saw one article regarding this ,could you clearify is it solve my problem.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... e-Check-FW
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

kadiri2006 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:32 pm recently saw one article regarding this ,could you clearify is it solve my problem.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... e-Check-FW
I do not know if it would help or not. This line in the article seems to indicate the true source of the issue is not known so one can only guess whether their laptop is affected.
The Lenovo P14s Gen2 with Ryzen 5000 series "Cezanne" SoCs are known to be affected by this issue but likely numerous other laptops too.
The info I found about the Ryzen 5 5500U in your laptop indicates it is Lucienne (not Cezanne), but I suppose your laptop could be in the "numerous other laptops" category. I do not know enough about the details of what they are discussing to know which models might have the issue.

That article referenced this one One-Line Linux Patch Fixes AMD s2idle Failures For Some Ryzen Laptops where I see mention of an issue which happens more commonly when running on battery power. Apparently, that issue does not happen if the computer is attached to an electric outlet (for those specific models). I do not know if that might be a factor in what you are experiencing.

I am not sure where the latest patch they mention in the link is located, so I can not give you advice to install it.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Moderator note: mrkskwsnck post can now be found here Black screen after suspend on Ryzen 4500u. Please follow the forum rules and create your own topic for your issues.
kadiri2006
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kadiri2006 »

i used to install new kernal using "sudo apt install linux-oem-20.04d " but problem remains same...no improvement ...
Last edited by SMG on Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed quote which was not relevant to the response.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

kadiri2006 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:07 pm i used to install new kernal using "sudo apt install linux-oem-20.04d " but problem remains same...no improvement ...
Others have tried that kernel and found it does not fix the suspend problem which is why I did not recommend it to you as a solution. There is no problem with you to continue using it, so I suggest just keeping it installed.

All I can suggest is you report a bug on the kernels for which you had problems. I do know of any workarounds to fix the issue.

To report a bug, open Update Manager, select View > Linux Kernels and click Continue. Then select the kernel series on the left panel and click the specific kernel version on the right panel. When you click on the version in the right panel, you will see a link for Bug reports. After you click that link, you can see which bugs have been reported for the kernel. If you want to add a new bug, I recall the link for that being in the upper right of that web page.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”