Graphics driver unloaded after one of the last updates - How to load back again?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SDaedalus
Level 1
Level 1

Graphics driver unloaded after one of the last updates - How to load back again?

Post by SDaedalus »

I'm a happy Mint user for over three years now on a fairly outdated laptop (Intel i7-2677M @ 1,8 GHz * 2; 3,8 GB RAM). I was really happy to have found Mint, because Windows 10 drivers were not available anymore, and the "default driver performance" under Windows was more than unbearable. So in a way finding Mint saved me from throwing away an otherwise perfectly running working laptop. I'm also always installing all updates recommended by the Update Manager.

One recent update, however, appeared to have "unloaded" my GPU driver (I found this out with the help of this forum).

Code: Select all

Graphics:  Device-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics vendor: Lenovo 
           driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 chip ID: 8086:0116 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa 
           resolution: 1366x768~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 12.0.0 256 bits) v: 4.5 Mesa 21.2.6 compat-v: 3.1 
           direct render: Yes 
From what I understood, the important part is

OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe
... which indicates that the PC is running without graphics hardware acceleration. From what I can see, this is also the root cause of my really bad system performance (also indicated by very high CPU usage with Cinnamon).

My first thought was that the support for my graphics card somehow "ended" with one of the last MINT updates. However, to test this, i just downloaded the most recent image and booted the live system again from USB, and, voilà, Cinnamon performance was back to normal and also the system report shows something completely different (the way I read it: a perfectly normally loaded GPU driver).

Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics vendor: Lenovo
    driver: i915 v: kernel ports: active: LVDS-1 empty: DP-1,HDMI-A-1,VGA-1 bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:0116
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.3 driver: X: loaded: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa gpu: i915 display-ID: :0 screens: 1
  Screen-1: 0 s-res: 1366x768 s-dpi: 96
  Monitor-1: LVDS-1 res: 1366x768 dpi: 118 diag: 336mm (13.2")
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 3000 (SNB GT2) v: 3.3 Mesa 22.0.1 compat-v: 3.1 direct render: Yes
So the question is: How do I get the graphics driver to be loaded again on my installed version of MINT? Re-installing my entire MINT-installation would probably also solve the problem, but this would be a bit unfortunate, as then all my settings etc would be gone.

As said, I'm more or less new to Linux (grown up in the windows world), so maybe there's a completely obvious solution.
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Graphics driver unloaded after one of the last updates - How to load back again?

Post by kc1di »

It sounds like you got a kernel update. Since the driver for Intel is embedded in the Kernel. There should be no driver to install.

You may have to revert back the previous kernel and see if it works for you.

You can do that by accessing the grub menu and going to the advanced section select the previous kernel and boot from that. It that works. you can set that kernel as default for the time being. by going to the update manager and selecting view tab and kernels. Good luck.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
SDaedalus
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Graphics driver unloaded after one of the last updates - How to load back again?

Post by SDaedalus »

kc1di wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:16 am You may have to revert back the previous kernel and see if it works for you.
Thanks a lot for your response!

Quick question on that: I saw that the kernel in the current Mint .iso (which I'm running as a live boot from USB, and which works quite well / has the GPU driver loaded) is 5.15.0-41. So as a test I did what you recommended, and rolled back to that kernel as well on my installed version. Now am I wrong to assume that (because the kernel on USB-live-system and the installed system are identical) the GPU driver should also be loaded on both systems without any problem?

I'm asking because I might maybe miss a piece of the puzzle in the Linux world: On the USB-live system (with kernel 5.15.0-41) the GPU driver is loaded, on my installed system (same kernel: 5.15.0-41) it isn't (causing poor performance due to "GPU-software-mode" only), and I don't really understand why.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

SDaedalus wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:36 amOne recent update, however, appeared to have "unloaded" my GPU driver (I found this out with the help of this forum).

Graphics: Device-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics vendor: Lenovo
driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 chip ID: 8086:0116
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa
resolution: 1366x768~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 12.0.0 256 bits) v: 4.5 Mesa 21.2.6 compat-v: 3.1
The kernel driver is loaded. It is the renderer which is not.

Please give us information about your install by entering this command in a terminal:

inxi -Fxxxrz
Click </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply and then place your cursor between the code tags and paste the results of the command between the code tags [code]Results[/code]. This will let us know how Mint sees all of your hardware and may give a clue as to what happened.
SDaedalus wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:58 pmQuick question on that: I saw that the kernel in the current Mint .iso (which I'm running as a live boot from USB, and which works quite well / has the GPU driver loaded) is 5.15.0-41. So as a test I did what you recommended, and rolled back to that kernel as well on my installed version. Now am I wrong to assume that (because the kernel on USB-live-system and the installed system are identical) the GPU driver should also be loaded on both systems without any problem?
Your assumption the renderer should be loaded on both systems is correct.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
SDaedalus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SDaedalus »

Thanks a lot for your reply!
SMG wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:19 pm Please give us information about your install by entering this command in a terminal:

inxi -Fxxxrz
Here you go:

System:
  Kernel: 5.15.0-48-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 11.2.0
    Desktop: Cinnamon 5.4.12 tk: GTK 3.24.33 wm: Mutter vt: 7
    dm: LightDM 1.30.0 Distro: Linux Mint 21 Vanessa base: Ubuntu 22.04 jammy
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: LENOVO product: 1080 v: Lenovo IdeaPad U300s
    serial: <superuser required> Chassis: type: 10 v: Lenovo IdeaPad U300s
    serial: <superuser required>
  Mobo: LENOVO model: U300s v: 1.0 serial: <superuser required>
    BIOS: LENOVO v: 56CN43WW date: 04/03/2012
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT0 charge: 29.6 Wh (95.8%) condition: 30.9/54.8 Wh (56.4%)
    volts: 16.4 min: 14.8 model: L10M4P12 type: Li-ion serial: N/A status: N/A
  Device-1: hidpp_battery_0 model: Logitech Wireless Mouse M275/M280
    serial: <filter> charge: 55% (should be ignored) rechargeable: yes
CPU:
  Info: dual core model: Intel Core i7-2677M bits: 64 type: MT MCP
    smt: enabled arch: Sandy Bridge rev: 7 cache: L1: 128 KiB L2: 512 KiB
    L3: 4 MiB
  Speed (MHz): avg: 988 high: 1036 min/max: 800/2900 cores: 1: 1036 2: 1011
    3: 995 4: 912 bogomips: 14367
  Flags: avx ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics
    vendor: Lenovo driver: i915 v: kernel ports: active: LVDS-1
    empty: DP-1,HDMI-A-1,VGA-1 bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:0116
    class-ID: 0300
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.3 driver: X: loaded: modesetting
    unloaded: fbdev,vesa gpu: i915 display-ID: :0 screens: 1
  Screen-1: 0 s-res: 1366x768 s-dpi: 96 s-size: 361x203mm (14.2x8.0")
    s-diag: 414mm (16.3")
  Monitor-1: LVDS-1 res: 1366x768 hz: 60 dpi: 118
    size: 293x164mm (11.5x6.5") diag: 336mm (13.2") modes: 1366x768
  OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 13.0.1 256 bits) v: 4.5 Mesa 22.0.5
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Family High Definition Audio
    vendor: Lenovo driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
    chip-ID: 8086:1c20 class-ID: 0403
  Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.15.0-48-generic running: yes
  Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 15.99.1 running: yes
  Sound Server-3: PipeWire v: 0.3.48 running: yes
Network:
  Device-1: Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030 [Rainbow Peak] driver: iwlwifi
    v: kernel pcie: speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 1 bus-ID: 02:00.0 chip-ID: 8086:008b
    class-ID: 0280
  IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 350.27 GiB used: 26.94 GiB (7.7%)
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: JMicron Tech model: 616 SSD size: 238.47 GiB
    speed: 3.0 Gb/s type: SSD serial: <filter> rev: 22 scheme: MBR
  ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: JMicron Tech model: Generic
    size: 111.79 GiB type: N/A serial: <filter> rev: 0508 scheme: GPT
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 39.07 GiB used: 26.94 GiB (68.9%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5
Swap:
  ID-1: swap-1 type: file size: 1.85 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) priority: -2
    file: /swapfile
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 51.0 C mobo: N/A
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Repos:
  Packages: 2857 apt: 2834 flatpak: 13 snap: 10
  No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/audio-recorder-ppa-focal.list
    1: deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/audio-recorder/ppa/ubuntu jammy main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/chrome-remote-desktop.list
    1: deb [arch=amd64] http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome-remote-desktop/deb/ stable main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list
    1: deb [arch=amd64] http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list
    1: deb http://packages.linuxmint.com vanessa main upstream import backport
    2: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy main restricted universe multiverse
    3: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-updates main restricted universe multiverse
    4: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-backports main restricted universe multiverse
    5: deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jammy-security main restricted universe multiverse
  No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/saiarcot895-chromium-beta-focal.list
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/spotify.list
    1: deb http://repository.spotify.com stable non-free
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/teamviewer.list
    1: deb https://linux.teamviewer.com/deb stable main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/unit193-encryption-focal.list
    1: deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/unit193/encryption/ubuntu jammy main
Info:
  Processes: 240 Uptime: 3m wakeups: 4 Memory: 3.74 GiB
  used: 1.67 GiB (44.8%) Init: systemd v: 249 runlevel: 5 Compilers:
  gcc: 11.2.0 alt: 11/9 Shell: Bash v: 5.1.16 running-in: gnome-terminal
  inxi: 3.3.13
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

SDaedalus wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:06 am Partition:
ID-1: / size: 39.07 GiB used: 26.94 GiB (68.9%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5
Is that your entire Linux Mint install, just a 40GB root partition?

I noticed you have a number of repos attached as well as snaps. Were any of those installed (or maybe updated) with the last set of updates?

X Server runs the graphics in Linux Mint. I would expect there would either be errors or "missing" information in it due to your system running in software rendering mode. Please use this command in a terminal to upload the X Server log file to termbin:

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | nc termbin.com 9999
It will return with a url address that you can post in your next reply.
SDaedalus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SDaedalus »

SMG wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:27 pm Is that your entire Linux Mint install, just a 40GB root partition?
Yes, it is. It's rather small, I know, but all my data is on the (old) Windows partition, which I don't boot into anymore, since I'm really happy with Mint.
SMG wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:27 pm I noticed you have a number of repos attached as well as snaps. Were any of those installed (or maybe updated) with the last set of updates?
Good question. How can I find out?
SMG wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:27 pm X Server runs the graphics in Linux Mint. I would expect there would either be errors or "missing" information in it due to your system running in software rendering mode. Please use this command in a terminal to upload the X Server log file to termbin:

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | nc termbin.com 9999
It will return with a url address that you can post in your next reply.
Here you go: https://termbin.com/4vd5

Thanks so far, btw! :)
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

SDaedalus wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:24 pm
SMG wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:27 pm I noticed you have a number of repos attached as well as snaps. Were any of those installed (or maybe updated) with the last set of updates?
Good question. How can I find out?
Open Update Manager and select View > History of Updates to see updates of packages. I do not know if snap updates show there (I'm not familiar with how they work), but I think the PPA updates will show there.

I am running LM20.3 with a slightly older version of Intel graphics, but when I compared your computer's Xorg log to mine, the only differences I saw were your system is using the newer crocus driver instead of i965. (That replacement happened starting with LM21.) It looks to me that your system has the proper drivers loaded.

What is the output of

glxinfo -B
That is another place we can check for hardware rendering.
SDaedalus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SDaedalus »

SMG wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:36 pm Open Update Manager and select View > History of Updates to see updates of packages. I do not know if snap updates show there (I'm not familiar with how they work), but I think the PPA updates will show there.
Hrgh, from what I can see there's currently no possibility to export the output list (and it is a loooong list in my case). See here. Any particular entry you're looking for?
SMG wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:36 pm What is the output of

glxinfo -B
That is another place we can check for hardware rendering.
Here you go:

name of display: :0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
Extended renderer info (GLX_MESA_query_renderer):
    Vendor: Mesa/X.org (0xffffffff)
    Device: llvmpipe (LLVM 13.0.1, 256 bits) (0xffffffff)
    Version: 22.0.5
    Accelerated: no
    Video memory: 3825MB
    Unified memory: no
    Preferred profile: core (0x1)
    Max core profile version: 4.5
    Max compat profile version: 4.5
    Max GLES1 profile version: 1.1
    Max GLES[23] profile version: 3.2
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa/X.org
OpenGL renderer string: llvmpipe (LLVM 13.0.1, 256 bits)
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 22.0.5
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.50
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile

OpenGL version string: 4.5 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 22.0.5
OpenGL shading language version string: 4.50
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL profile mask: compatibility profile

OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.2 Mesa 22.0.5
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.20
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

SDaedalus wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:45 pmHrgh, from what I can see there's currently no possibility to export the output list (and it is a loooong list in my case). See here. Any particular entry you're looking for?
I am not familiar with all the PPAs and snaps you use, so I do not know what to check to see if one of them changed.

Are you able to check the glxinfo -B command on the live session of LM21?

This Vendor part is not what I would have expected to see.

Usually, the vendor should be Intel, the accelerated is yes, and the unified memory is also yes.

Did you try installing a newer version of Mesa or install a program that uses Mesa that might have tried installing a newer version?
SDaedalus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SDaedalus »

SMG wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:46 pm Did you try installing a newer version of Mesa or install a program that uses Mesa that might have tried installing a newer version?
Can you recommend a program that uses mesa? Or give the command with which I can ty installing a newer version of Mesa?

Thanks a lot so far!
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

SDaedalus wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:16 pm
SMG wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:46 pm Did you try installing a newer version of Mesa or install a program that uses Mesa that might have tried installing a newer version?
Can you recommend a program that uses mesa? Or give the command with which I can ty installing a newer version of Mesa?
No, because I do not recommend that you do that. I recommend using the defaults provided by the operating system.

Some people who game or run other graphics-intensive programs do try installing newer versions and end up with problems because they have done that. That is why I asked if you had done that. ;)

I'm starting to run out of ideas of what to check to try and figure out what might have happened. You are not ssh'ing into this system, are you? That is another thing which can change the renderer.
SDaedalus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SDaedalus »

SMG wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:51 pm You are not ssh'ing into this system, are you? That is another thing which can change the renderer.
Nope, just using my laptop like a pretty average office user, happily clicking on "Update" in Update Manager whenever being told to do so. ;)
SMG wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:46 pm Are you able to check the glxinfo -B command on the live session of LM21?
Here we go:

name of display: :0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
    Preferred profile: core (0x1)
    Max core profile version: 4.5
    Max compat profile version: 4.5
    Max GLES1 profile version: 1.1
    Max GLES[23] profile version: 3.2
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa/X.org
OpenGL renderer string: llvmpipe (LLVM 13.0.1, 256 bits)
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 22.0.5
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.50
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile

OpenGL version string: 4.5 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 22.0.5
OpenGL shading language version string: 4.50
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL profile mask: compatibility profile

OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.2 Mesa 22.0.5
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.20
I don't want to sound bitter, and (even though I'm working with Windows for 25+ years now) I still like Linux after 2+years. But observations like this one (something suddenly doesn't work anymore, and as an average user you just have very limited opportunities to fix it (vs. in Windows: just reinstall the driver)) are maybe the reason why even very user-friendly distributions like MINT haven't penetrated a critical mass on the mass market yet.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

SDaedalus wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:30 pmNope, just using my laptop like a pretty average office user, happily clicking on "Update" in Update Manager whenever being told to do so. ;)
Are you periodically taking Timeshift snapshots of your system? That is often the only way to undo an update which might have caused a problem. The default for Timeshift just saves system files so you can restore and not lose any personal documents created since the snapshot date. We highly recommend it or some other form of backup.
SDaedalus wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:30 pm
SMG wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:46 pm Are you able to check the glxinfo -B command on the live session of LM21?
Here we go:

This does not seem to match your earlier statement:
SDaedalus wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:36 amHowever, to test this, i just downloaded the most recent image and booted the live system again from USB, and, voilà, Cinnamon performance was back to normal and also the system report shows something completely different (the way I read it: a perfectly normally loaded GPU driver).
Was Cinnamon performance okay when you ran this?
SDaedalus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SDaedalus »

SMG wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:06 pm Are you periodically taking Timeshift snapshots of your system?
Yes and no. I did have timeshift backups, but due to temporary requirements I had to delete them three weeks ago. But then again, even if I would have one image with "still good performance", doing the required updates (again) would resulted in the same unloaded graphics driver, don't you think?

SMG wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:06 pm This does not seem to match your earlier statement:
Can you state what results should match? I'm 95% confident I did not do any copy/paste mistakes, but can double-check just to be sure.

SMG wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:06 pm Was Cinnamon performance okay when you ran this?
Yes, this is what keeps me searching for fix: If the current live system-image would result in what I'm seing now (poor performance / unloaded graphics driver) I would just move on, saying "ok, laptop probably too old). But the fact that the live system-image does run flawlessly, plus my (maybe naive) hope that with Linux (Mint) it's not like with Windows that, in case something doesn't work anymore, you have to reinstall the entire system, keeps me searching for a fix.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

SDaedalus wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:59 pmYes and no. I did have timeshift backups, but due to temporary requirements I had to delete them three weeks ago. But then again, even if I would have one image with "still good performance", doing the required updates (again) would resulted in the same unloaded graphics driver, don't you think?
You would want to revert back to a snapshot, then selectively add updates to see which one caused the issue (presuming an update caused the issue). You would then reload your snapshot and do all the updates except put a hold on the one causing problems and file a bug report against the problematic one.
SDaedalus wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:59 pm
SMG wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:06 pm This does not seem to match your earlier statement:
Can you state what results should match? I'm 95% confident I did not do any copy/paste mistakes, but can double-check just to be sure.
In your first post you stated:
SDaedalus wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:36 amMy first thought was that the support for my graphics card somehow "ended" with one of the last MINT updates. However, to test this, i just downloaded the most recent image and booted the live system again from USB, and, voilà, Cinnamon performance was back to normal and also the system report shows something completely different (the way I read it: a perfectly normally loaded GPU driver).

Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics vendor: Lenovo
    driver: i915 v: kernel ports: active: LVDS-1 empty: DP-1,HDMI-A-1,VGA-1 bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:0116
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.3 driver: X: loaded: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa gpu: i915 display-ID: :0 screens: 1
  Screen-1: 0 s-res: 1366x768 s-dpi: 96
  Monitor-1: LVDS-1 res: 1366x768 dpi: 118 diag: 336mm (13.2")
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 3000 (SNB GT2) v: 3.3 Mesa 22.0.1 compat-v: 3.1 direct render: Yes
That shows the correct renderer loaded which means acceleration should be "yes". What you posted showed acceleration "no" and showed a different renderer.
SDaedalus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SDaedalus »

SMG wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:29 pm That shows the correct renderer loaded which means acceleration should be "yes". What you posted showed acceleration "no" and showed a different renderer.
I just double-checked: Both logs have been correct.
  • One was "booted from the latest image as a live system (acceleration "yes"), where everything runs smoothly.
  • The other one was from my current installation (acceleration "no"), where performance is poor.
Hence my attempt to get the acceleration working again, without the need to just re-install my entire system and without going back via Timeshift since I do not have enough restore points.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

SDaedalus wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:06 amHence my attempt to get the acceleration working again, without the need to just re-install my entire system and without going back via Timeshift since I do not have enough restore points.
Having snapshots to which you can revert is the reason to take Timeshift snapshots. I do not understand what you mean by not having enough restore points. All you need is one that works. If you deleted your system backups (Timeshift snapshots) , then that was not really a good plan.

The graphic driver reloads every single time you reboot the computer. That is why one does not manually do it; it is done automatically. It seems in your case that something on your system prevented that from happening properly.

As I mentioned earlier you have quite a few PPAs and snaps. Those are not normal parts of the operating system and you take a risk when you add those. I am not familiar with all the software you added so I do not know if any of it changed your system to cause this problem.

Repos:
  Packages: 2857 apt: 2834 flatpak: 13 snap: 10
What snaps and flatpaks did you add?
SDaedalus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SDaedalus »

SMG wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:44 pm What snaps and flatpaks did you add?
With your hint I dug a bit deeper, and I think you might might right. I uninstalled some of the packages I installed recently (so far without improvement), but I believe some of the following things look odd to me:

flatpak list
...results in...

Name                          Application ID                             Version       Branch          Installation
Freedesktop Platform          org.freedesktop.Platform                   18.08.39      18.08           system
Freedesktop Platform          org.freedesktop.Platform                   20.08.14      20.08           system
Mesa                          org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.default        21.1.4        20.08           system
Mesa                          org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.default        21.3.6        21.08           system
Intel                         org.freedesktop.Platform.VAAPI.Intel                     18.08           system
Intel                         org.freedesktop.Platform.VAAPI.Intel                     20.08           system
Intel                         org.freedesktop.Platform.VAAPI.Intel                     21.08           system
html5-codecs                  org.freedesktop.Platform.html5-codecs                    18.08           system
openh264                      org.freedesktop.Platform.openh264          2.1.0         2.0             system
Mint-Y Gtk Theme              org.gtk.Gtk3theme.Mint-Y                                 3.22            system
KDE Application Platform      org.kde.Platform                                         5.15            system
KDE Application Platform      org.kde.Platform                                         5.15-21.08      system
Firefox                       org.mozilla.firefox                        89.0.2        stable          system
As said, I'm no linux expert, but Mesa, Intel and GL sound a bit like things that could cause problems (maybe they got installed with me installing OpenShot some weeks back).

snap list
... results in...

Name               Version          Rev    Tracking       Publisher   Notes
bare               1.0              5      latest/stable  canonical✓  base
code               74b1f979         108    latest/stable  vscode✓     classic
core               16-2.57.2        13886  latest/stable  canonical✓  core
core18             20220831         2566   latest/stable  canonical✓  base
core20             20220826         1623   latest/stable  canonical✓  base
gtk-common-themes  0.1-81-g442e511  1535   latest/stable  canonical✓  -
rpi-imager         1.7.2            326    latest/stable  waveform    -
snapd              2.57.2           17029  latest/stable  canonical✓  snapd
wmbusmeters        1.9.0            1745   latest/stable  oehrstroem  -
Most links on this list mean nothing to me, some I do know and which I have installed for quite some time (e.g. rpi-imager, wmbusmeters). So maybe one of the others?

Thanks for advice on which ones to remove. As you said, if the problem is caused by one of these, it's only about to remove the right ones? ;)
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

SDaedalus wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:39 pmThanks for advice on which ones to remove. As you said, if the problem is caused by one of these, it's only about to remove the right ones? ;)
I didn't install any of them so I do not know if those are the issues or which one might be the right one if they are. I assumed, because it is your computer, you would know what you installed and why it was installed.

The flatpak list looks like you installed kde platform and from what I could find, the one you have installed is outdated. Firefox 89 is definitely outdated. Looking at the mesa versions there and the one on your inxi output, the inxi output is showing as a newer version. It's my understanding the flatpaks work within their own ecosystem, but because I do not know why you installed them, I do not know their possible impact (if any).

I do not know how the snaps work in relation to the operating system nor am I familiar with the ones you have installed.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”