[SOLVED] No proprietary drivers are in use.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ezowyn
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] No proprietary drivers are in use.

Post by ezowyn »

Hello everyone!

I installed linux mint 21 Cinnamon Vanessa to HP OMEN 17-an0xx. Driver Manager gives this warning (attached the pic) but I don't know which one to choose. I don't wanna do something harmful. I've just reinstall due to a major fault :D :oops:
Attachments
Screenshot from 2022-11-29 13-43-13.png
Last edited by LockBot on Mon May 29, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Re: No proprietary drivers are in use.

Post by Termy »

There is no issue here, unless there's an actual issue. I've used Nouveau for around a decade with very few issues. It's just the opensource driver. It's only an issue if you're planning on doing heavy graphical work or otherwise need the proprietary drivers. Since you have such a nice modern graphics card, I can only assume you plan to play games and what-not, so I would recommend you install the driver which is marked as 'recommended'.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
ezowyn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ezowyn »

System reports gave this so I wanted to ask. I don't like to play games honestly. I am more of a watcher. The most heavy things I do with my pc are projects using tensorflow and keras, developing CNN models and stuff.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

It's not a warning, it's just a statement informing you of the situation. You don't always need proprietary drivers after all.
If the system works fine, then you can just leave things as they are.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

I'd definitely try the proprietary driver. Should give the best performance.

After all, it's recommended for a reason. :wink:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I wouldn't want to use nvidia without the closed driver. As mentioned above, that wasn't a warning.

If you're concerned (and that wouldn't be 100% wrong), take a Timeshift root snapshot before installing the driver. Set up Timeshift to back up to an external driver if you haven't used it before, the default is in root if you don't change it.. Backing up to the same phyical drive you want to back up is a pretty good definition of stupid IMO. But Timeshift is a very good program and that's what it's for.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
ezowyn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ezowyn »

Thank you everyone!! I'll deal with in a spare time with Timeshift. I wasted so much time while I was trying to install, messing up and reinstalling xD I need to get to start studying. 8)
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Hoser Rob wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:40 am Backing up to the same phyical drive you want to back up is a pretty good definition of stupid IMO.
Not really. After all, you can restore from a snapshot even if the machine won't boot, by booting from a USB stick. And there are plenty of things that do not even leave your machine unable to boot, but still need to be fixed, and can be fixed by using a snapshot.
Also, Timeshift is not a backup utility. It makes system snapshots.

Backups are best placed on a different drive. But they're not useless if they are on the same one (as long as that's not the only place you have them).
Snapshots are a different thing, but the same applies.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”