Kernel update breaks NVidia driver (Solved)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
visseroth
Level 2
Level 2

Kernel update breaks NVidia driver (Solved)

Post by visseroth »

I've been trying to read the extra sensors on my Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi and found that the new available kernel support my sensors. Kernel 5.19.0-28 which is currently available via the kernel update but in the process of updating my kernel it seems the NVidia driver no longer wants to install.
I've tried a few things but here's the output I'm getting...

Code: Select all

Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 5.19.0-28-generic (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/nvidia/525.85.12/build/make.log for more information.
dpkg: error processing package nvidia-dkms-525 (--configure):
 installed nvidia-dkms-525 package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 10
Setting up libnvidia-encode-525:amd64 (525.85.12-0ubuntu1) ...
Setting up libnvidia-encode-525:i386 (525.85.12-0ubuntu1) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of nvidia-driver-525:
 nvidia-driver-525 depends on nvidia-dkms-525 (= 525.85.12-0ubuntu1); however:
  Package nvidia-dkms-525 is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package nvidia-driver-525 (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.26+mint2+vera) ...
Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.36.0-1ubuntu3) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.35-0ubuntu3.1) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.10.2-1) ...
Processing triggers for dbus (1.12.20-2ubuntu4.1) ...
Processing triggers for mailcap (3.70+nmu1ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.140ubuntu13.1) ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.19.0-28-generic
Errors were encountered while processing:
 nvidia-dkms-525
 nvidia-driver-525
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
I've tried purging the nvidia drivers, reinstalling and even added a few ppa's to see if a different installer would work to no avail. Any help would be much appreciated!
Last edited by LockBot on Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Kernel update breaks NVidia driver

Post by rene »

Terribly sorry but you got that the wrong way 'round: the binary Nvidia driver breaks your kernel update.

Not just being flippant: using the binary Nvidia driver means you let Nvidia dictate which kernels you may run as a matter of which kernels their binary crap is compatible with.

Now, whether or not in this case it's something fundamental I in fact doubt, but who knows (other than people doing free support for a hyper-commercial and hyper-arrogant company which has for a few decades now screwed over Linux). I.e., once again terribly sorry, and no answers here, but that thread-title just will not stand...
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

visseroth wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:38 am I've been trying to read the extra sensors on my Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi and found that the new available kernel support my sensors. Kernel 5.19.0-28 which is currently available via the kernel update but in the process of updating my kernel it seems the NVidia driver no longer wants to install.
The problem is the 5.19 kernel was compiled with a newer version of gcc than what comes on LM21 so there is a mismatch. Please see [SOLVED] Nvidia driver failure on Vera because of gcc-11 on updated kernel 5.19.0-28-generic.

The 5.19 and 6.1-oem kernels use gcc-12 and you will need to install it if you want to use the Nvidia drivers with those kernels.

The 5.15 and 6.0-oem kernels use gcc-11 which comes on LM21 versions and the Nvidia drivers will work without needing to add more packages.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
visseroth
Level 2
Level 2

Post by visseroth »

@rene I'm terribly sorry I'd like my hardware to work and there is propitiatory software out there but I digress, God bless you and thank you!

@SM3 Thank you! I guess my searching martial arts is not as good as I would love to believe it is (no sarcasm). Thank you for that link, you are much appreciated, God bless! Your response is much appreciated! (again, no sarcasm implied)
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

visseroth wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:11 pm I'm terribly sorry I'd like my hardware to work and there is propitiatory software out there
I do not care about proprietary software as such; as made explicit care about the specific arrogant company Nvidia dictating what Linux kernels (or say graphics servers) its customers may feel free to run -- and while that fact in and of itself is merely the reason I myself am not a customer I care about the huge percentage of said users not knowing that it's Nvidia and not the system as such that's in these cases causing them usability issues.

In terms of development manhours that driver is a vanishingly small maybe 0.01% of the system as a whole yet it's 90% of graphics issues on Linux as per e.g. this forum: it is really not the system that breaks the binary Nvidia driver but vice versa. Be very free to grant it the power to do so over you -- but at least know as much.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

rene wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:29 pmI do not care about proprietary software as such; as made explicit care about the specific arrogant company Nvidia dictating what Linux kernels (or say graphics servers) its customers may feel free to run
How is that at all relevant to this issue?

Nvidia kernel modules rebuild when a different kernel is used. Canonical built the 5.19 kernel with a newer gcc version that what comes with Linux Mint 21. That means when the DKMS went to rebuild the modules, it ran into a problem because the gcc version available on LM21 was not the one used to build the kernel.

The same thing would happen with a wireless driver trying to rebuild for the 5.19 kernel on LM21.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

SMG wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:56 pm How is that at all relevant to this issue?
Obviously in that the binary "nvidia" driver due to being not open hence not part of the kernel-proper such as most any other driver needed to be rebuild at all. I.e., you will notice that say "nouveau" does not have the problem,

Yes, the same thing would happen to any driver not part of the upstream kernel. In some cases there are technical reasons for using drivers not part of the kernel proper. In the case of Nvidia the reason's not technical but commercial. Which once again anyone should feel free to enable them to have -- but also again at least know as much.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

rene wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:14 pmObviously in that the binary "nvidia" driver due to being not open hence not part of the kernel-proper such as most any other driver needed to be rebuild at all.
Duly noted you didn't address the part I quoted. Your statement, "the specific arrogant company Nvidia dictating what Linux kernels (or say graphics servers) its customers may feel free to run" was inaccurate. Nvidia did not "dictate" what kernels could be used. The OP is currently successfully using the exact same 5.19 kernel with the exact same Nvidia driver now that gcc-12 is installed on their system.
rene wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:14 pmIn some cases there are technical reasons for using drivers not part of the kernel proper.
Correct. In some cases people have technical reasons for using the proprietary Nvidia driver because the open-source driver either does not perform equally well or sometimes can not perform the necessary tasks at all. I would guess that most, if not all, people using the proprietary driver already know that.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

SMG wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:18 pm Nvidia did not "dictate" what kernels could be used.
Yes it does. You apparently do not understand how this stuff works on the kernel development level.

Normally things are structured as "open kernel <-> open driver" and if kernel-sides interfaces are updated, driver-sides users of said interfaces are updated alongside by whomever does the kernel-sides change but of course only if the driver is in fact part of the kernel and can be updated. In the case of the binary Nvidia driver it is not and so as to retain at least some compatibility of their closed driver with more than (literally) one kernel version Nvidia introduced an intermediate shim layer: in their case the structure is "open kernel <-> open shim layer <-> closed driver" and it's that shim layer which you recompile against a new kernel.

This works to a degree, a relatively fair degree to be honest, and it's certainly a lot better than it used to be, but if something changes fundamentally enough kernel-sides as to e.g. memory-management even that shim layer is not able to work around it: still needs a fully new shim+driver from Nvidia to be compatible. This is also not a detail: the churn in the upstream kernel is massive and kernel-developers very explicitly reserve the right to change any and all without recourse to external code, closed external code doubly.

For example professional audio users are/were for the longest time not able to use a real-time Linux kernel variant for lowest latency together with having their Nvidia graphics work well through a vendor-supported driver -- and although I do of course as not a user don't pay specific attention to Nvidia, getting that to work in a more than "compiles for me" sense is still impossible generally. F.e. https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/n ... -rt/237190:
Everything runs perfectly fine despite bug scheduling while atomic: irq/88-s-nvidia/773/0x00000002
Yah, no, poster; scheduling while atomic is a serious and fundamental to RT issue and all does not "run perfectly fine" in that same serious and fundamental way.

RT is just one example; there's a quite literally endless array of other such issues, potential and actual, and I shall also assume that you haven't missed the binary Nvidia drive being an issue for possibility of adoption of Wayland. Not kernel as such in that case but Nvidia now dictating which technology and therefore practically speaking entire distribution its customers can reasonably use.

I.e., same difference: still the 0.01% closed code claiming effective priority over the 99.99% of open code that your system is made up of and which many other developers have put time and effort into.

As such and again, anyone should free to use e.g. the binary Nvidia driver, but usability issues around it are on it and not on anything else. And still as such and again (but for the last time in this thread): users need to at least know that so that they can next time make a better purchasing decision when shopping for a Linux-based system.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

rene wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:39 pmYou apparently do not understand how this stuff works on the kernel development level.
I understand this is a support topic and I based my responses on the specific question asked. You have gotten yourself into such a tizzy over the title that you seem to have forgotten this was a specific request for help in getting an Nvidia driver that was working with the Canonical 5.15 LTS kernel series now working with the Canonical 5.19 HWE kernel series. The answer is to install gcc-12.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Kernel update breaks NVidia driver (Solved)

Post by rene »

So we may conclude from the change of direction in argumentation that indeed you do/did not understand how this works -- and I'd moreover point out that it was you and not me that kept this going by calling me on the issue.

My motivation was duly noted most clearly just above, i.e., warning Linux users who also do not know/understand away from giving money to Nvidia. Intel and AMD of course at times have technical issues as well but they are much more deserving of your financial or other support.

Will most certainly leave it at that. I expect you will need the last word: have at it.
visseroth
Level 2
Level 2

Post by visseroth »

Bottom line is I run the driver because the nouveau drive doesn't offer the same smoothness or performance that the (unfortunate) proprietary driver does.
While I agree, I don't like proprietary drivers either (I don't know anyone who likes them) it does give some benefits over the nouveau driver, more specifically for more modern hardware, that is until the developers of the nouveau drivers catch up and get the nouveau driver tuned for whatever card it is that it's running.

Now, with that said, besides (obviously) a NVidia video card what do you suggest? Radeon? While a bit more friendly to the open source community they themselves have their own set of problems and while I can not list those problems in the here and now, in the past I've had problems just getting them to work with Linux, IE, No 3D rendering at all.
Question is have they improved?
What 3D rendering video cards do you suggest?
My system is a modern system, Asus Crosshair Hero VIII (Wifi), AMD 5950x and a low end 3D rendering NVidia 2060 Super card as I do more work than I do play, but I do play sometimes and on a 4K 49" screen. 4K alone makes the video card work a bit, 4k games, yea, that's a spanking on the GPU.

While I understand your frustration (or at least am attempting to) I also understand that NVidia currently has the market in 3D rendering performance, at least for now, that gap is closing and truthfully I hope they are over taken and given a nice spanking BUT as soon as another company takes the 3D rendering crown we'll just be back in the same boat again because that company will start to act just as corrupt as NVidia.
Look at AMD vs Intel. AMD is starting to do some of the same things that Intel does, minor things, but as they gain strength we as the consumers loose.
Unfortunately it's how the world works. Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Meanwhile all we can do is do what we can to support those that need help getting their hardware working properly, today I was one of those individuals.
I noticed the driver was complaining that a dependency was not met but I didn't know what dependency nor did it tell me what dependency was not being met.
A simple removal of the old NVidia (proprietary) driver, an install of gcc 12 and then a reinstall of the current NVidia driver and I was back in business.
That is all I was looking for, I wasn't looking to be flamed over the hardware I choose for whatever reason I chose it.
Do I want to support the man? Heck NO! The man can kiss my rear end! BUT just like paying taxes, we do it because we don't have much in regards to better options.

Now, with that said, if there are better options I will migrate that direction in time. I generally will do my research before buying computer parts to determine Linux compatibility and sometimes I don't find a answer so I just roll the dice and go with what I know has worked or what I think will work.

Understand you're not going to win anyone to your way of thinking by scrutinizing and belittling them.
A better approach would be to point out something along the lines of, "NVidia is a proprietary driver, it has issues because they refuse to release the necessary information to keep them working correctly. In the future look at getting XXXX video card, they have better support, but until then try this......"
Now you've planted a seed, seeds grow, they turn into big things (ie, big movements).
But flaming? Yea, first thing I thought of is, "You can take a hike,.... NEXT"
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

visseroth wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:56 am Now, with that said, besides (obviously) a NVidia video card what do you suggest? Radeon?
Yes. While noting that my last halfway modern AMD GPU was an R9 380X with which I've had sóo much trouble that I can assure you that I'm aware of AMD's history there, yes, things have improved, and although I don't know, I in fact expect as a result of their more open approach to things with "amdgpu" which has caused if not "more eyes" then at least a bit less freedom to screw up.

Your 2060 Super is in any case approximately at the level of an RX5700XT or a bit below a RX6600XT which I'd myself be ogling if I were in the market for a card in that performance range. As far as I'm aware (but that's not very far as to specifics, so certainly google...) that tier of card works fine on both Linux and Windows. In Windows 3D hardware-acceleration in e.g. Adobe tools still I believe tends to be better supported for Nvidia (and I don't really have an issue with Nvidia on Windows anyway, and am an advocate for using a dedicated Windows system for e.g. gaming).

Somewhat interesting is that your 2060 Super is also only just below a new Intel Arc A770 but if you're someone that needs things to Just Work then certainly Intel Arc is not the right choice. Yet I hope; it might be the side where I find myself in a few years time.

Only one note on the foregoing: you nor anyone else was "flamed", only disagreed with decisively. That's quite different :)
visseroth
Level 2
Level 2

Post by visseroth »

Only one note on the foregoing: you nor anyone else was "flamed", only disagreed with decisively. That's quite different :)
Understood, it is very difficult to express one's self via text, so with that said please understand it did feel like a attack and wasn't helpful at all.
I was seeking a answer to a question and your (understandable yet misplaced) rant wasn't helpful to my situation and like you said, there aren't much in regards to well supported choices for those that want 3D rendering in Linux. Now 2D rendering, HA! Just about anything will work and for those that just surf the web, check emails and what have you, the nouveau driver is a perfect choice but unfortunately it isn't for me and many others that have posted regarding their video card problems.

So anyhow, I'm glad to see we can agree that these proprietary drivers suck but for some it's what we have to do.

Regarding this card, yea, I didn't need anything crazy but it does do the job just fine for what I do. Heck I'll boot into Windows and play ARK with my son using this video card and it works just fine.
I did however go a bit nuts when I built this system and water cooled it with about 4,320mm worth of radiators, so neither the video card or the CPU can overheat.
It was my first time, I over did it!
Granted I could turn the voltage up on the CPU and make it generate heat faster than it can dissipate it but with my current PBO curve optimized overclock and with this GPU being the way it is, neither of them can overheat. CPU tops out at about 74C, video card tops out at about 42C.
Hottest component is my stinking chipset at 60 to 65C, drives me nuts but next time I tear into this thing it's getting a water block.

Anyhow, let's hope for a better future and if AMD starts providing better Linux support with competitive performance, yea, that's where I'll be going, but until then,...
BAH! NVidia (Insert puke face)

Oh, and if you're wondering how I fit 4,320mm worth of radiators in in chassis, here's the radiator list.....
2 X https://www.newegg.com/alphacool-nexxxo ... EAP5Y07691
1 X https://www.newegg.com/alphacool-nexxxo ... 9F93EB2287

The last radiator is twice the thickness of the 1st, so it's like 2 in one and all in a LIAN LI O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certificated chassis.
In hind site 1 of the first radiators or maybe 2 or just one of the large one would have been enough, but it was my first water cooling setup, I didn't know and I believe it's better to have on not need than to need and not have. :D
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

visseroth wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:05 am Understood, it is very difficult to express one's self via text, so with that said please understand it did feel like a attack and wasn't helpful at all.
Going to disagree a bit again. I.e., you say it wasn't helpful, but I still expect that the issue with proprietary drivers on Linux is a bit more in focus now than it was -- you wouldn't have had the issue with an AMD card in any case -- and even if not for you then for someone reading the thread on this public forum. Avoiding the problem is I feel a better long-term technical (support) strategy than just keeping on fixing the basically same issue over and over (and over and over and...)

Anyways :)

A friend recently installed an RX6700XT with is working quite nicely also in Windows. AMD's Linux support is good, what with a by them in the kernel integrated and therefore for users largely trouble-free base AMDGPU driver with for those that want/need it additionally a downloadable AMDGPU-PRO component with a few parts they couldn't or didn't want to open-source.

... and then there's by the way also in fact the thing about Nvidia opening up (more of the) kernel driver, i.e., https://developer.nvidia.com/blog/nvidi ... l-modules/, but that hasn't really materialized in practical form yet. I personally have after decades no trust in Nvidia left -- but we will see.
visseroth
Level 2
Level 2

Post by visseroth »

oh, I'm not disagreeing with you, but Linux being Linux and open source, it has it's problems as does Windows but that's a whole different beast and topic.
I have another machine running a Vega APU and for the most part it's fine. 3D rendering out of the box but you're not going to play Ark on it. Maybe Factorio.

However with that said it wasn't perfect. Some of the firmware modules were missing and I had to do some digging around to find the firmware archive and then copy the files over to make errors go away.

So again, if you want 2D, sure, no problem, any APU, integrated graphics or video card will do (for the most part) but if you want 3D rendering performance then you're going to have troubles, it's inevitable for the time being and has been for as long as I can remember.
Basically you fix it and usually it's fine until the next major upgrade and then DING DING, here we go again.....

As for AMD processors, yea, they work for the most part. The biggest problem is misc device support for motherboards such as the sensors on mine. I could get CPU, core temps and a couple other temps I didn't care about with the previous kernel but with this newer kernel I've just about got every temp sensor except my memory sensors.
I don't recall ever needing to find a firmware for this thing, even when it was still one of the best processors out there.

Again, hopefully one day it'll improve, and hopefully for the best. If Microsoft has their way they'll absorb the Linux communities, but I think there's to many Linux users that know what MS is really about and want nothing to do with it, at least as much as they can, so I don't see the Linux communities going away or falling for the MS BS anytime soon.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

This might not be the best time to tell you that I'm writing this from a 10-year Linux system with a 12-year old Radeon HD6850 which is working well for me -- I even have the "Portal Reloaded" game-icon sitting on the desktop to go play any day now... -- and which I use basically because it's so refreshingly uneventful and devoid of issue, even if only since the system's not capable of anything that would lay bare any such issue.

As in... do please still take me serious when I recommend an e.g. RX6700XT :lol:

But yes then. I will admit that I have for quite some time now side-stepped issues with 3D graphics on Linux by simply not using any. Also not a gamer but have a Windows system with more capable hardware sitting right next to this one for a visiting child and sometimes myself. Have for a fair bit now thought that the by far best solution to gaming/graphics on Linux is powering on the Windows system sitting next to it.

<shrug>
visseroth
Level 2
Level 2

Post by visseroth »

Oh I'm not surprised. The last system I had I ran for about 10 years before I got rid of it as it just couldn't keep up with me any more and was having a stuttering issue that for some reason Linux exacerbated.
I'm a multitasking power user. I can't stand a machine that can't keep up with or out run me.
If I click to open a app I want it now, not in 10 or 30 seconds.
Another reason I like Linux (among many), it's so snappy 99+% of the time.

One time I had a friend staying here, he didn't have a computer so I put a P4 with a NVidia 9800GT together for him. The GPU was more powerful than the CPU! :lol:
It wasn't perfect but it worked!

Most the time I use Linux and have Windows in a virtual machine to use tools that are Windows only stuff. Windows runs so well in a VM!!!! :D
As for games, if I can run it on Linux I will, if I can't I'll just reboot, but that's maybe once every week or 3 :lol: unless I'm stress testing, I'm more willing to break a Windows install than my Linux install, not to mention there just more testing tools and motherboard tools for Windows than Linux.

As for the Radeon, if my son decides to toss his 7900xt then I'll give it a go and see how it works out.
I'll likely put it in a temporary test system before putting it in mine but lack of 3D rendering performance is a no go zone for me, but if it works I'd be happy to keep my money away from NVidia. As I said, they need a good spanking and the best way to do that is by not supporting them BUT if they have the superior product for a reasonable price while giving me the 3D rendering support in Linux, well I gotta do what I gotta do, but things are changing, I'm sure Radeon cards are working better now than they did in the past and will likely get better.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

visseroth wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:28 am As for the Radeon, if my son decides to toss his 7900xt then I'll give it a go and see how it works out.
An 7900XT? That's brand-spanking new and very powerful; as to rasterization performance the same level as a 3090 Ti. Or do you mean a Radeon HD79x0? Latter would still be GCN 1.0 and therefore use (by default) the "radeon" driver, not "amdgpu". As said, my HD6850 also does, but well -- I don't claim it's a current-day powerhouse certainly.

If you are in fact talking about a new RX 7900 XT: I'd feel it safe to say you'd very unlikely feel its performance anything to complain about.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

rene wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:33 pm So we may conclude from the change of direction in argumentation that indeed you do/did not understand how this works -- and I'd moreover point out that it was you and not me that kept this going by calling me on the issue.
I didn't change any direction. If you check my posts where I responded to you, I am trying to bring your attention back to the OP's issue. While your initial response to tell someone to buy a different GPU could be one very extreme answer to the question, it was not practical given what little was needed to get the system working again. Your subsequent posts attempting to bolster your recommendation just strayed even further away from being practical help to the issue at hand.

Plenty of people post on this forum asking for GPU opinions. This topic was not one of them so your initial post comes across as being off-topic. Your subsequent posts just continued in that same vein; they provided no practical help for this issue.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”