Kernel update breaks NVidia driver (Solved)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
visseroth
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Kernel update breaks NVidia driver (Solved)

Post by visseroth »

Yep, 7900XT, the new one. He just built a new machine and he's considering changing to the 4090 due to some performance issues. He plays games a lot more than I do.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Kernel update breaks NVidia driver (Solved)

Post by rene »

Well, that's as said very powerful. And yes, although I'd myself quickly find it overpowered for a Linux system I do believe you'd have a good user-experience with it on somewhat newer than current Linux.

In any case, to maybe then wrap up the thread:

1. Your original issue was one of poor user-experience caused by Nvidia not having a good vendor-supported driver in the upstream kernel but needing you to manually recompile the "shim layer" of their externally supplied binary one.

2. As to your question of what I'd in that user-experience context recommend rather than Nvidia: new AMD -- although Intel Arc is quite interesting.

But...

3. As to whether or not this "user experience" will in fact in the end ever be significantly other than Linux "same old, same old" as to only ever half implementing things before going off and doing something else entirely -- dunno.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”