Dual monitors - a couple of questions

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
runbei

Dual monitors - a couple of questions

Post by runbei »

I'm using a ThinkPad T43 with a Dell 16" LCD external monitor connected to the video part on the laptop. Couple of questions:

1. The external display doesn't show properly after a Suspend. When the Laptop wakes up, the external monitor shows the same image as the laptop monitor, and it is inactive - e.g., the "x" to close a window changes color when I click it, but nothing happens. Obviously this is very inconvenient, as I use dual monitors often. Is there a fix?

2. It would be great if Skype and other applications did NOT open on the external monitor! It means I have to keep the external monitor turned on to answer Skype calls, etc. Is there a way to force all apps to open in the main display?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Dual monitors - a couple of questions

Post by Husse »

Please read the simple rules
in the link in the red box on top of the page
COKEDUDE

Re: Dual monitors - a couple of questions

Post by COKEDUDE »

runbei wrote:I'm using a ThinkPad T43 with a Dell 16" LCD external monitor connected to the video part on the laptop. Couple of questions:

1. The external display doesn't show properly after a Suspend. When the Laptop wakes up, the external monitor shows the same image as the laptop monitor, and it is inactive - e.g., the "x" to close a window changes color when I click it, but nothing happens. Obviously this is very inconvenient, as I use dual monitors often. Is there a fix?

2. It would be great if Skype and other applications did NOT open on the external monitor! It means I have to keep the external monitor turned on to answer Skype calls, etc. Is there a way to force all apps to open in the main display?
For your first question this should help.

Code: Select all

$ xrandr --output VGA1 --mode 1024X768 --rate 60
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolu ... %20monitor

Not sure about your second question.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”