Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
friedtofu
Level 1
Level 1

intel drivers

Post by friedtofu » Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:46 pm

hello - can anyone help me on getting the intel drivers for linux?

this is the graphics card i'm using - "Intel Corporation 82915G Express Chipset Family Graphics Controller"

the default one - i810 - works ok, but the DRI is slow...

when i use wine/cxoffice to try to play raganarok, it loads, but the mouse is LAGGY.... and everything in it is really slow...

i read posts of people talking about FPS reports with "glxgears" but i dont know how to find that out....

hopefully with the new intel driver installed, i should be able to fix this ... (or maybe it will be fixed in Ubuntu Fiesty?....) SIGH....

---
thanks in advance

--- is i915 the same as i810? (my card will be listed in i915)

rlozano
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rlozano » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:23 pm

friedtofu, i suggest you use the i915. i have been using it in all my machines with intel graphics and i dont get any problem, even with my wide screens. it's in the synaptic, and you can install it from there. but before doing that, i may have to suggest that you remove your existing intel graphics driver.

hope this helps...

friedtofu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by friedtofu » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:18 pm

where can i find this i915 driver? it isnt listed in synaptic... only ones i found related are... i810 and intel... -.-...

starkey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by starkey » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:24 pm

It supossed intel drives are already installed in Linux Mint.

scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: intel drivers

Post by scorp123 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:29 pm

friedtofu wrote: "Intel Corporation 82915G Express Chipset Family Graphics Controller" ... the default one - i810 - works ok, but the DRI is slow...
Well ... this card is slow. I have the same here in my HP dv2108ea ... while this card may be fast enough for some moderate eye candy it definitely isn't a gamer's card. :?

EDIT: Did you take a look at this page? As far as I know this tool is available via the repos too ... http://www.geocities.com/stomljen/

EDIT #2: Out of curiosity I booted the Mandriva 2007 Live CD ... and there I notice I have kernel modules i915 and drm in the memory. You can check this via the lsmod command. Also in the xorg.conf file I have these extension settings:

Code: Select all

Load "dbe" #Double-Buffer Extension
Load "v4l"
Load "extmod"
Load "dri"
Load "glx"
However in the Device section it still says "i810":

Vendor "Intel Corp."
BoardName "Intel 945"
Driver "i810"
As far as I have found out all drivers for the various Intel cards were merged into X.org's i810 driver module, so if the config file says "i810" then this is the correct setting!

The only thing you can really do is to check if you could load the kernel modules and if that 915resolution tool is needed on your machine or not. Kernel modules:

modprobe drm
modprobe i915

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”