Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
markosjal
Level 1
Level 1

Hardware Conflict?

Post by markosjal »

I have an ATI All in WOnder Rage 128 AGP and an onboard sound card AC 97 on a FoxCon Motherboard

I was using a USB sound device and recently tried using the onboard sound card. After activating the onboar sound in the BIOS, and disconnecting the USB sound card, I found that on the next reboot, my display no longer goes higher than 800x600 .

After I deactivated onboard sound again in the BIOS, I now get higher resolutions.

I suppose this represents a conflict however I do not know how to resolve it. I reset the configuration in the BIOS Setup several times , several differennt ways. The boot dissplay does not show an IRQ conflict so possibly it is a DMA or Port address conflict.

How do I find the offending conflict?
fwc
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Hardware Conflict?

Post by fwc »

Your problem is so unique to that configuration, its difficult to say. The best ways to test, would probably be based around trying to boot off a CD or into another OS. If you generate a report on your system from one of the common terminal or menu programs, it may be easier to tell the exact nature of the problem.
markosjal
Level 1
Level 1

Post by markosjal »

generate a report? HOW?

This is the question.

Also because OSes are plug n Pray, it is probable that the conflict would not exist, as it did not exist in windows.

Instead of saying "generate a report" perhaps tell me HOW to do that
fwc
Level 4
Level 4

Post by fwc »

I have a program called HardInfo 0.5c.
Its listed under the menu as a "System profiler and benchmark"

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”