Forum rules
Before you post please read this
giz
Level 1
Level 1

many newbie graphics related questions

Post by giz »

hi,
i know the first thing your going to ask me is for the contents of my pc tower but unfortunately i have no idea how to fiind this information for you, all i know is that the graphics card i am using is a nvidia geforce fx 5500.
i'm using the latest version of linux mint.

my problems are:
i cannot change my screen resolution to anything higher than 640x480.
i'm using a lcd tv rather than a pc screen and the windows don't fit properly  they are too big and the edges are cut off which is really annoying when you need to close a window.
streaming videos are really bad quality and the sound is never in sync even though i have a good internet connection.
dvd's the picture isn't in sync with the sound.
compizconfig manager, when i try to use the mouse the window zooms and it's kind of like i'm just chasing the thing i'm trying to click on and not getting any where if that makes any sense, i have to use the up/down keys and the tab button.
i used to use xp and the graphics card worked well but now it's like using a pc from 20 years ago.
any help would be appreciated
please bear in mind that i don't know very much about how linux works so you will have to tell me exactly what to do!
thanks
giz

KittyCat
Level 2
Level 2

Re: many newbie graphics related questions

Post by KittyCat »

To get hardware info:

Click the Mint Menu button and then click on Terminal (under system). Type in "lspci" without the " " and hit Enter. Then high-light the text it spits back out at you, hold Ctl-Shift and hit C on your keyboard. That copies the entire highlighted section and you can paste it into a post here. And then wait, and hopefully someone who actually knows Mint--unlike me--will be able to help you. :)
Learning Mint, in Julia, on a desktop with 3.0GHz Pentium 4, GeForce 7800GS, 2GB RAM, and Belkin F5D8053. :)
The world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world. You gotta push your horizons out as far as they’ll go. -- TWEWY

giz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by giz »

ok thanks for that, here is the info
00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 661FX/M661FX/M661MX Host (rev 11)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS AGP Port (virtual PCI-to-PCI bridge)
00:02.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS964 [MuTIOL Media IO] (rev 36)
00:02.5 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE] (rev 01)
00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC'97 Sound Controller (rev a0)
00:03.0 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.1 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.2 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.3 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 2.0 Controller
00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet (rev 90)
00:08.0 Modem: Smart Link Ltd. LM-I56N (rev 02)
00:09.0 Ethernet controller: Belkin Device 700f (rev 20)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5500] (rev a1)

talsadus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by talsadus »

Have you tried Clicking mintmenu -> All Applications -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers?

giz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by giz »

yes i'm using a proprietary driver 173.

i did try following some instructions i found on another linux forum to install a driver from the nvidia site but after install all i got was a blank screen. i was using ubuntu at the time and since i had no documents on the pc and i already had mint on my laptop i decided to do a fresh install.

Oscar799
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Oscar799 »

I moved this here from Newbie Questions.
Hopefully it is a better place for it
oscar799
Forum Admin

giz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by giz »

ok judging from the lack of replies and numerous topics with similar problems i guess the 2 options i have are go back to xp or buy another graphics card.
i started using linux because i was told it was the best and most compatible operating system available and yet ubuntu and mint both have the same problems.

Oscar799
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Oscar799 »

This How To was produced by Ubuntu for Nvidia drivers in 10.10(Mint9 is based on Ubuntu 10.10)
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Binar ... wto/Nvidia

Or have a look at this thread,it contains a workaround for Nvidia card problems in Mint 9
-> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=51100

giz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by giz »

i've decided to take out the nvidia card and use the graphics built into the motherboard but the system is still looking for a nvidia card and running in low graphics mode, how do i tell the machine to stop looking for the old card and look for the new one?

KittyCat
Level 2
Level 2

Post by KittyCat »

giz wrote:i've decided to take out the nvidia card and use the graphics built into the motherboard but the system is still looking for a nvidia card and running in low graphics mode, how do i tell the machine to stop looking for the old card and look for the new one?
Most likely you will need to go into your BIOS/System Setup and set the onboard video adapter back to "enabled" or "default". If you have the option, allocate as much RAM to it as you can. (Within reason. If you only have 512Mb installed, don't give the onboard video half of that)
Learning Mint, in Julia, on a desktop with 3.0GHz Pentium 4, GeForce 7800GS, 2GB RAM, and Belkin F5D8053. :)
The world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world. You gotta push your horizons out as far as they’ll go. -- TWEWY

giz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by giz »

i've done that and i still have the warning ubuntu is in low graphics mode etc, if i click on hardware drivers i'm not using any and none are available, if i click on display the nvidia settings is displayed and i'm told i'm not using an nvidia driver. which is right since i'm not using an nvidia card any more!
how do i delete all the old graphics card settings and tell mint to look for the new ones?

Old Ruler
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Old Ruler »

giz wrote:yes i'm using a proprietary driver 173.

i did try following some instructions i found on another linux forum to install a driver from the nvidia site but after install all i got was a blank screen. i was using ubuntu at the time and since i had no documents on the pc and i already had mint on my laptop i decided to do a fresh install.
Looks like you got the right driver there (I just checked at nvidia's site). Version 173.14.27 in fact, is recommended. I wrote a How To about the blank screen problem and followed up with two ways to get nvidia drivers working. If you can follow one of those, you should get that card working, but it won't be easy for someone so new to Linux:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=54344
giz wrote:ok judging from the lack of replies and numerous topics with similar problems i guess the 2 options i have are go back to xp or buy another graphics card.
It would be a shame to have to do either. Your card is getting on a bit, but still supported by the current proprietary driver, so we should be able to get it going, in theory.
i started using linux because i was told it was the best and most compatible operating system available and yet ubuntu and mint both have the same problems.
Ubuntu Lucid and Mint Isadora certainly seem to have a lot more incompatibility than previous versions. It's because there is a conflict of interest between Linux developers and nVidia (in this case). Linux devs want us to use their Nouveau drivers (which aren't ready for users who want to get the best possible performance from their graphics card) and other parts of the graphics system are configured to work (only) with that driver...
how do i delete all the old graphics card settings and tell mint to look for the new ones?
I don't know, exactly. I've always had success installing nvidia drivers (thanks to help I've received on this forum) and never needed to revert. But you may find the 'vesa' driver works well enough, and that can be enabled by using xorg.conf.failsafe which I think I covered in my How To.

Lastly; sorry you've had so much trouble. The Linux Mint Experience is usually much better than this. :(

giz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by giz »

thats a lot to take in! i'll have a go with that some time in the next few days and i'll let you know how i get on.
thanks for the reply

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”