Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
Gramps50
Level 4
Level 4

Radeon or Nvidia?

Post by Gramps50 »

I am looking at a couple of ASUS laptops with very simular specs except for the video cards
Ati Radeon Mobility HD5730 graphics with 1GB DDR3 VRAM
NVidia GT325M Graphics Engine with 1GB DDR3 Dedicated VRAM

I was able to boot the one wih the ATI card with the live CD and just doing that it looked fine didn't try doing any heavy graphics stuff. So considering there isn't much difference in price which would be the better choice?

Thanks
LMDE ROCKS!!!

mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Radeon or Nvidia?

Post by mzsade »

The general consensus seems to be in favor of Nvidia over ATI; http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-79253.html
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008

Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

Yea, definitely Nvidia. While I prefer ATI under Wind-blows, they are more trouble than they're worth under Linux.

I'm running on my test partition now because Mint-9 (Ubuntu 10.04) doesn't like my Radeon card. Thought I had it fixed, so I wiped my main boot and installed Mint-9 only to find that what I thought had fixed it didn't work. So now I'm back to square one. :(

However, on my other computer, with nearly identical specs except for an Nvidia graphics card, Mint-9 works fine using either the open-source or proprietary drivers.

Gramps50
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Gramps50 »

The Asus laptop with the NVida also has the Intel graphic chipset too. Under Winders it will switch between the 2 to save the battery. My understanding is that NVida Optimus doesn't work under Linux. Under Linux which video card will it use?

The one laptop N61jq I looked at I booted LM 9 from a USB stick without any problems. I didn't try doing any 3D stuff but at least it did boot without issues. BTW this one had the ATI Mobility card it was and I7 so there was no Intel video
LMDE ROCKS!!!

mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

Simplest way to find out is to request your retailer to install LM 9 on both and try installing the drivers as soon as you get that beautiful prompt, "Drivers are available for your Hardware, click here to install". It could very well turn out that both laptops run perfectly under Linux...
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008

Gramps50
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Gramps50 »

That's well and good if the one that has the Nvida Optimus card was available locally but it isn't so I thought maybe someone had tried this 1st hand. Thanks for the idea though.
mzsade wrote:Simplest way to find out is to request your retailer to install LM 9 on both and try installing the drivers as soon as you get that beautiful prompt, "Drivers are available for your Hardware, click here to install". It could very well turn out that both laptops run perfectly under Linux...
LMDE ROCKS!!!

billmagee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by billmagee »

It will boot the integrated graphics. There seems to be no way at present to switch over to the Nvidia card in these "Optimus" laptops. or am I wrong? (hoping ...)

telenux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telenux »

The Optimus 'technology' or feature won't work in Linux. Nvidia has decided not to support it now and there's no indication for support any time soon. Unless, you feel like messing around in the BIOS and trying to figure out if there's a way to disable the hybrid switching feature by selecting a typical single GPU enabled (over the other), I would skip Optimus laptops if you are going to run Linux.

There's lots of discussions about this in Linux circles and on the nvnews website. I don't see the point of trying to have a BIOS setting enabled to use one, the Nvidia, when the feature itself is designed to allow switching on the fly. If Nvidia decides not to bother with Linux support of this feature, I don't see any incentive to choose a laptop with Nvidia (Optimus).

I usually choose Nvdiia cards or if I have a discrete mobile gpu, I prefer Nvidia but if this is the trend, I will switch to ATI and will consider an Intel mobile GPU.

Up to you if you want to go with Nvidia Optimus but the feature isn't working right now. You would then have to test whether the BIOS has the setting to enable one gpu over the other and that will probably mean battery life isn't optimized or as high as it could have been etc. etc.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”