Before you post please read this
Amd4850
Level 1
Level 1

New linux user experience with ATI 4850

Post by Amd4850 »

Hello,

totally new linux user here.

The "out of the box" experience was superb. No installation errors. Everything was self configuring from email ports to drivers so that was a really nice experience. The whole install was actually pretty nice to go through and when Mint 9 was up and running i thought that i could stay here. The desktop was visually pleasing and the access to the applications from downloading to running was handled very well indeed.

Having been a Windows users since the last days of 3.1 and up to XP i was very impressed with what you people have done. Of course i was a bit overtaken when tasked to administer the thing but in many ways the terminal has benefits the CMD prompt in windows does not have. Copying and pasting of commands in the terminal is not an option we have had, that i know of, in windows so that is nice.

Updating the machine was done with one click. The amount of software, free mind you, was mind boggling and i was beginning to think i would never have to pay for another piece of software again with all that is out there. I was not expecting to play games on linux since i can switch over to XP for that but rather use the OS as an everyday-get-away-from-M$-virii-box.

I have had it with XP and all of their vulnerabilities. Flash vulns, Javesripts vulns in PDF's, the nearly 20 year undiscovered .dll vuln that was fixed last week along with the other 20 critical fixes for that week alone. I know XP is getting a bit old now but to leave in vulnerable code from 20 years ago smacks of arrogance, incompetance, complacency and indifference to your user-base. That is why i am leaving. I am fed up with it and need something that will not break everytime M$ decides to patch a 20 year old vuln. I cant even transfer a file from the CD?DVD drive without getting a DEP error and crashing teh system to the desktop. I have had enough.

So that is why i am here. Just another fed up long time windows user looking for a better experience.

Which brings me to my one and only real beef that i have with Mint. And by the looks of it i dont even think it is mints problem since it resides with ATI. After installing the Mint OS without any problems whatsoever i booted back into XP only to find out that my GPU temp was nearly 100 celcius. I increased the fan speed with the overdrive function and brought it back down to a reasonable 50. This temperature rise was due to the fan not working properly in the MINT OS. So i booted back into mint and tried to get the thing spinning all the while nearly chitting in my pants thinking my 130 pound graphics card was gonna get destroyed by my attempt to run free software. I activated the FGLRX driver and it seemed to work but there was no way for me to adjust the fan at all. There simply was no overdrive button or a means to change the fan. I went into XP again and read about aticonfig --initial, aticonfig --pplib-cmd "fan speed 0 60", and the many other means to get this thing to work. Nothing worked.

Now i could not spend lots of time in mint while my card was good enough to cook eggs so i had to leave and this is where my ONLY criticism of MInt resides.

You people who make Mint, and ATI made drivers as well, have to somehow get the driver install of ATI cards to be easier. I have a A+, N+, certificate so i am no stranger to computers but the task of administering the card alone was enough to make me want to give up since it involved going into the terminal as a brand new user where i have NILL experience. I cannot and will not allow my GPU to get fried by a piece of software that i am testing now matter how bad windows is as that at least does not fry my card.

I am willing to go back into mint to try things but i do not know what to try. I am not willing to change the BIOS of my card. The ATI made driver worked so it is probably soemthing i am doing wrong or some package missing, or something i did not register or something else that is causing this. Maybe ATI just wrote a crappy driver. I had problems in Windows with drivers from ATI not spinningup the fan as well so it could very well be a driver problem. Overdrive was disabled on may drivers so i am sticking with a 10.4 driver where 10.10 is nearly here. At this point i am leaning towards thsi being an ATI problem.

If you have any suggestions that i can do, quickly, inside of mint to either give you information to help you diagnose this or give you hints as to what may be the problem feel free to post them and i will get back to you.
LarryP
Level 3
Level 3

Re: New linux user experience with ATI 4850

Post by LarryP »

Hi not sure if you have tried what is suggested in the link but the script may help. You may want someone check it to make sure it won't hurt anything as i haven't tried it. http://forums.amd.com/forum/messageview ... did=124448
TANSTAAFL There ain't no such thing as a free lunch
Amd4850
Level 1
Level 1

Re: New linux user experience with ATI 4850

Post by Amd4850 »

Assuming i wanted to stick with the open source driver what would i have to do to get the fan spinning up?

Sorry that i am acting like a little kid here but when it comes to linux i have zero experience. I have read that the file called Xorg has something to do with the graphics harware but is that for the ATI card only?

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”