Get your nvidia card to have the right vertical refresh

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Get your nvidia card to have the right vertical refresh

Post by Husse »

If your nvidia card only gives you low resolution and/or low vertical refresh, this may be the trick(s) you need.

To find out what values you should have in the Section "Monitor" you can use
xvidtune
in a terminal. Click Cancel in the box that pops up and you've got your monitors horizontal and vertical frequencies. These should be in the section "Monitor"
If you still don't get the right resolution try the following:

Add to the "Device" section of your xorg.conf:
Code:
Option "ExactModeTimingsDVI"
Option "ModeValidation" "NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck"

Apparently, even though the EDID correctly reports the resolution, the driver seems to be getting the wrong Native resolution, so it doesn't think the monitor can handle the actual resolution. The second line tells it to not check for the native resolution. Not entirely sure what the first line does to help, but it doesn't seem to hurt.

Also, if you don't get an option for a higher refresh rate your monitor supports (such as 75Hz) add:
Code:
Option "DynamicTwinView" "False"

Dynamic TwinView messes up the refresh rates it'll allow. Note that with this set to False, though, you can not access/set the items on the "X Server Display Configuration" section of nvidia-settings, through the GUI anyway.
progone

Re: Get your nvidia card to have the right vertical refresh

Post by progone »

I wish that worked for me.

The reply was 'Unable to query monitor info' :roll:
jimisbell
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jimisbell »

Doesnt workk for me either on Mint 11
1st, there is no "cancel" box to check on the display that pops up when I enter xvidtune in the terminal.
2nd I dont know how to get into xorg.conf to make the changes.

My terminal works fine under Mint 8 and I would revert to 8 except that I am afraid if I do I will erase files and even more important, my bookmarks. I cant loose the bookmarks.
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner. Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the decision.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

[please don't bump topics with almost 2 years, the solutions here surely are not going to work with your ed. of mint. open a new topic]

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”