Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
tinny
Level 2
Level 2

must boot twice for proper display

Post by tinny » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:35 pm

In order to get proper resolution, I must reboot after the first time I get to Desktop. The first boot to Desktop isn't completely smooth: The monitor blinks, and it goes into standby at the time the Login dialog comes up. I must bring the computer out of video standby by pressing Enter or Shift, and then the display shows Login. When I finally get to Desktop the first time, the resolution is 1280x1024 (too high) and I am unable to change the resolution by normal means. So I reboot, and the second time everything goes fairly normally, although there is a false start for the appearance of Desktop. I get to Desktop a second time and the resolution is as I originally configured it before first (cold) boot, namely 1024x768. Apparently, there is something not quite right with the video. Any suggestions?

Asus A7N8X-X mobo
Athlon XP 1800+ (1533mhz)
768 mb PC2100 ddr
20 gb hdd
GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (NV11)
Last edited by tinny on Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kynan
Level 4
Level 4

Re: must boot twice for proper display

Post by Kynan » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:17 am

Hmm that is interesting. I've had some experience with cold boot problems myself where back when i was using windows it refused to cold boot and froze on startup. It only booted up properly after a reboot... eventually i got fed up with it and decided to take my pc down to its bare essentials eventually found out (in my case) the harddrive was at fault, i swapped it out and haven't had a problem since.

Your problem is rather different in that its a resolution problem and its not freezing up completely... id suggest just trying a different graphics card if you can get your hands on one, if not then if your motherboard has integrated graphics try removing the graphics card and just see if the problem still remains this might help in narrowing down the problem. It's what i'd try first of all.

Keep me posted. Kynan

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”