ATI Driver making mouse lag and stick to corner.

Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
Tsportmat
Level 1
Level 1

ATI Driver making mouse lag and stick to corner.

Post by Tsportmat »

Hello everyone. I was a windows user until I installed Ubuntu on my old laptop. I liked it a lot; however, upon upgrading to Natty I didn't like Unity at all (or maybe I just REALLY liked GNOME 2.x).

Anyway, I decided to switch to Linux Mint, and make it look pretty much how Ubuntu Classic looked - which was fine. I then installed it onto my desktop, and performed the necessary tweaks to get it running how I wanted - which was fine.

I have now noticed, however, that my mouse seriously lags in the sqaure inch at the bottom right of my screen (23" if you want that in perspective), it will take a couple of seconds to free it up. (It even happens on the login screen).

I have followed some steps outlined by the Ubuntu forums. I have removed all of the ATI related items, and then rebooted. The problem disappeared; however, I had no 3d effects or anything. Plus I could hear a fan loudly in my computer, which isn't normal. Upon reinstalling the driver from System/ Administration/ Additional Drivers, the problem recurred. Basically, I can see where the problem is, but what can I do about it!?

Could anyone offer any advice please? I'm quite a beginner to all of this, so I don't know what else to do. I have searched the forums but the posts didn't seem to relate to my particular problem.

Thanks in advance.

Also, some info:

Running:
Mint 11 64-bit
Sapphire (ATI) 5770 1gb Vapor-X

AdamS
Level 5
Level 5

Re: ATI Driver making mouse lag and stick to corner.

Post by AdamS »

Noticed the same on my twin 5870 HD's and 5670 HD builds.

Fix here was to install Cat 11.6 and turn off tare free.

Running Mint 11 x64.
Last edited by AdamS on Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud owner of a 99.5 % Linux based Pc - laptop - netbook - tablet - networking business.
Do your self a favor, stop paying for imperfection. Once you know Linux, you never go back.

Tsportmat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tsportmat »

Thanks for the reply.

I ended up purging once again, went for the reboot, with the intention to install the latest drivers off the ATI site. When I tried to boot it - it didn't boot... I have to go into recovery mode and basic graphic mode. I think tried to install the latest driver. I still couldn't boot into Mint normally so had to go into recovery again. To my surprise, the screen was distorted and the colours seemed inverted/psychedelic... I tweaked and tweaked and couldn't fix this, so I went for the full reinstall.

Upon reinstalling, I installed the ATI driver through the 'additional drivers' menu. The mouse has not got stuck yet! I can activate my 3D graphics - although I think they're slightly more jerky than before... I've turned them up in CCC - including no tearing, with no problems except a slight degradation in performance. I think this happened before, and when I 'fixed' that, the mouse sticking occurred; I'll leave it how it is for now, and keep you updated.

To cut my life story short - installing CCC from additional drivers on a fresh install appears to work.

AdamS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by AdamS »

Your telling me that Cat 11.6 wont work on a 5770 HD ?

Really ?

5870 HD and 5670 HD worked GREAT.

What OS bro ?
Proud owner of a 99.5 % Linux based Pc - laptop - netbook - tablet - networking business.
Do your self a favor, stop paying for imperfection. Once you know Linux, you never go back.

Tsportmat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tsportmat »

Hello. I'm running Mint 11. CPU - i7-950.

It may work I guess, I just managed to break everything last time I fiddled about. Would installing Cat 11.6 improve my graphics do you think?

Could you tell me how to remove the additional drivers cat & install it please - I don't want to break it again!

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

All Radeon HD cards should work with all 11.x versions of Catalyst.

Indeed, installing a newer Catalyst can solve your problems.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Tsportmat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tsportmat »

I uninstalled the 'Additional Driver' catalyst, and managed to install Cat 11.6 from the ATI website. The graphics are now running silky smoothly! :D

The only problem is that the card's fan is spinning very loudly, normally it is silent when idle - also I cannot actually see the control centre on my applications to adjust anything! :?:

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Catalyst Control Center should be there - but different distros can use a different location. Please make sure that you have looked through all categories before reporting that Catalyst is not in the menu.

You can also open Catalyst using the terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo amdcccle

Tsportmat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tsportmat »

This is very strange, it is not in any of the menus - there aren't many menus because it's a fresh install. I used "synaptic package manager" and found fglrx-amdccle. I used that to trace CCC to /urs/lib/fglrx/bin/amdcccle. When I double click that I get the following message:
There was a problem initializing Catalyst Control Center Linux edition. It could be caused by the following.

No ATI graphics driver is installed, or the ATI driver is not functioning properly.
Please install the ATI driver appropriate for you ATI hardware, or configure using aticonfig.
It's strange because the graphics are running perfectly, although the fan spinning at full speed is an indicator of their being no driver present.

I installed 11.6 using this website http://mygeekopinions.blogspot.com/2011 ... linux.html

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Sorry but I don't have experience with installing ATI drivers from anywhere else than the repository.

Tsportmat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tsportmat »

So I do a fresh install - manually install 11.6. No Catalyst, in termical I noticed that it couldn't install something like 'amdcccle', so I did a manual apt-get install on the file and it got it! Then I ran aticonfig --initial -f, and that worked too. Upon restarting, I had access to CCC, the fans were spinning quietly, graphics were excellent. Then my mouse got stuck in the bottom right corner.

It appears that I want: Good Graphics, Quiet Fan (via access to CCC) & Mouse moving freely - and I can have any two...

:evil:

Tsportmat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tsportmat »

So after even more installations, I have inferred that:

With a Sapphire ATI Vapor-X 5770 HD 1GB (Running 64bit drivers):

Catalyst Control Centre - fglrx-amdcccle Version 8.861-0ubuntu1 (latest) - works fine.
Graphics Accelerator - fglrx-dev Version 8.861-0ubuntu1 (latest) - works fine.

2D Graphics - fglrx :
Version 8.861-0ubuntu1 (latest) - look great but the mouse gets stuck.
Version 8.840-0ubuntu4 (old, come installed without even running Additional Drivers) - look worse when desktop cubing and wobbly window-y-ing (but not as bad as when you install via Additional Drivers), but don't look that bad and best of all the mouse can move freely.

To conclude, for me, fglrx will have to stick to version 8.840-0ubuntu4; I'll make do with slightly worse graphics until an updated 2D driver is released.

Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You have already tried the open-source driver (that's used when running without Catalyst installed)?

AdamS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by AdamS »

You do know cat 11.6 has to be compiled to be installed in mint 11 right ?

Download cat 11.6 then put ina folder named ati CAT 11.6 INSTALL KATYA.

Terminal here inside that windows with the cat 11.6.

chmod +x ati-driver-installer-11-6-x86.x86_64.run

sudo sh ./ati-driver-installer-11-6-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/natty

sudo dpkg -i fglrx*.deb
easy as eating pie.

Tsportmat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tsportmat »

AlbertP wrote:You have already tried the open-source driver (that's used when running without Catalyst installed)?
The 'standard' driver works okay, but the fan is running too fast on the card.
Gúrú Linux ríomhaire wrote:You do know cat 11.6 has to be compiled to be installed in mint 11 right ?

Download cat 11.6 then put ina folder named ati CAT 11.6 INSTALL KATYA.

Terminal here inside that windows with the cat 11.6.

chmod +x ati-driver-installer-11-6-x86.x86_64.run

sudo sh ./ati-driver-installer-11-6-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/natty

sudo dpkg -i fglrx*.deb
easy as eating pie.
I have a separate /home hdd, when installing before I had compiled the .run file, leaving me with 3 .deb files - I can install the graphics accelerator.deb file and the CCC .deb file, and NOT install the 2D.deb file. It's this 2D package which will improve my graphics, it's also the file which makes my mouse stick, I've installed them all one by one to test the theory. I.e. the 2D graphics driver has to run version 8.840, whereas the other two can happily run the latest verion, 8.861 (which is the version you get with Cat. 11.6).

AdamS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by AdamS »

Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (255.13 KiB) Viewed 3687 times

AdamS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by AdamS »

by the way, read me file clearly lists the 5770 HD gen 1 and 2 fully supported.

Might want to purge the drivers and start fresh. Make sure etc/ati is gone as well.

use one of these codes.

sh /usr/share/ati/amd-uninstall.sh

sh ati-driver-installer-x86.x86_64.run --uninstall

Tsportmat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tsportmat »

Hello, I've attached a screengrab of my ATI info. I;ve tried endless purges and reinstalls, I'm sure that fglrx 8.61 just doesn't work with mine - I notice that your Catalyst is 11.5. Does that come with a different 2D driver, could you check the exact version for me in synaptic please?
Attachments
My ATI
My ATI
Screenshot.jpg (64.54 KiB) Viewed 3677 times

AdamS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by AdamS »

I in fact installed cat 11.6 over 11.5.

I show 2D and 3D and open GL drivers are that of cat 11.6. It just didn't update the cat version to 11.6 due to it being a install over and not purge and install.

AdamS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by AdamS »

Just did a purge of ALL and fresh install.

I get 11.6 2D 3D open gl but 11.5 ccc version even with fresh everything.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”