ATI/AMD propritary FGLRX graphics driver.

Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
shadder
Level 1
Level 1

ATI/AMD propritary FGLRX graphics driver.

Post by shadder » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:31 pm

Can someone please help me here? I have a HP Pavilion DV6z-2100 running Mint 11 which called for the above driver that seems to work fine, no issues that I can see. However, in trying to install Mint 12 RC1 it calls for a different driver , and a update package. When i installed these and rebooted my graphics went to helll. Fonts were not working right (the bottoms would be missing, some words would just have one or two letters, some none at all). And if I were to attempt to open something like lets say Control Center, the horizontal and vertical were messed up and unusable. Is there any way to resolve this and go back to the driver used in Mint 11?

pony-tail
Level 1
Level 1

Re: ATI/AMD propritary FGLRX graphics driver.

Post by pony-tail » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:08 am

FGLRX appears to be broken ( quite badly) in the current version of Ubuntu (11.10) and all it's derivatives . Including Mint 12 .
I am not sure if it is just an issue with Gnome 3 , but I suspect it may be .
If somebody using an ATI 6xxx graphics card with a current KDE and FGLRX drivers could chip in their $0.02 that would be good .(eg Kubuntu 11.10)

nickenzi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nickenzi » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:14 pm

I have a Radeon 6550M in my laptop and when I installed fglrx via the Restricted Drivers process (on Mint 12 RC AMD64) the install failed partway through and X crashed. When I rebooted, the fonts were blurred and the menu bars were pixelated and mis-colored. (Not sure how else to describe it) I then manually removed fglrx and then installed AMD's packaging of it which works better, but not perfectly. Fonts are clear, (except tooltips are italicized and the font is too big to fit) but randomly the menus, taskbar, etc. will disappear for a second or two, and then the system will recover and be back to normal. Sometimes, it won't recover, and I will have to CTRL ALT Backspace and restart my session.

pony-tail
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pony-tail » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:42 pm

This appears to be an issue with Gnome 3 and FGLRX in general .
But another suspect could be that something has changed in the 3.X kernel orphaning the FGLRX driver .
Does anybody have any firm knowledge of what the problem is and if or when it is likely to be fixed ?
I am hoping that it it will be fixed before the final release of 12 .

pony-tail
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pony-tail » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:16 am

I have just found out that FGLRX is broken with Gnome 3 in Pinguy as well (latest prerelease on DistroWatch ) .
I tried it about 15 mins ago and it does exactly the same as Ubuntu 11.10 and Mint 12 .
I tried Fedora but although the install completes all I get on the reboot is a blank screen and screaming fans on the video cards - so none the wiser there .

det4100
Level 4
Level 4

Post by det4100 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:25 am

I tried both drivers (offered by the restricted driver notification) for my Radeon HD 3300. No luck. Post update driver failed to install. Second one did not work so good. Flashing screen, lost panels, lost title bars, bad fonts etc... a real mess. (Mint 12 64bit).

det4100
det4100

Running Mint Debian

chazdg24
Level 3
Level 3

Post by chazdg24 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:06 am

This is a similar issue with Gnome 3 and Ubuntu 11.10. I had to compile the ATI 11.10 driver to get Gnome to work, although it is still a bit buggy. I was hoping that this would not be an issue with Lisa. I can't imagine Lisa being final until this is all straightened out.

godsotherhand
Level 4
Level 4

Post by godsotherhand » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:23 pm

so, there is no way to install any driver on any amd/ati 6xxx cards for now?

Btw, i installed fedora 16 and my pc.
also has serious issues with my video card (Radeon HD 6250), as i would get X crashing every 5 minutes, so the kernel being the fault seems legit..

pony-tail
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pony-tail » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:25 am

so, there is no way to install any driver on any amd/ati 6xxx cards for now?
I do not know about earlier Radeons but on the 6xxx series - none that actually work !
I have a pair of 6870 XFX - They kind of work with Mint 11 but are unusable in Mint 12 .
The other PC I have Mint 12 on has Nvidia 8800 gt and works fine .

mr_raider
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mr_raider » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:54 am

I'm using the AMD E-350 IGP and have had the same issue. What is currently the best solution? Use the open source driver, or build the debs directly from AMD catalyst 11.11? Should I revert to gnome classic or try mate?

In the past, I found 2d to be slower on the open source driver, with poorer power saving features. I also like having VAAPI working.

As a note, I got it to work in Ubuntu 11.10 using Unity.

mryura
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mryura » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:32 pm

I have the same issue. My card is radeon hd 3430 and catalist version is 11.11. What is currently the best solution?

stefan.becker
Level 1
Level 1

Post by stefan.becker » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:32 pm

2 Solutions.

Mate/fglrx/Compiz as addon

or

Gnome 3/free driver

mryura
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mryura » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:04 pm

Can you write more details what must i do.

onionparadise
Level 1
Level 1

Post by onionparadise » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:54 pm

I'm pretty sure it's not the kernel. I installed E17 alongside Gnome 3, and while my Gnome 3 session replicated perfectly the problems documented above, Enlightenment was completely fine. If the problem was the kernel, I would have had issues with Enlightenment as well. I'm inclined to believe the issue is with Gnome 3.

onionparadise
Level 1
Level 1

Post by onionparadise » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:36 pm

If you install AMD's fglrx driver from their website (I believe it was listed above), using the non-distro-specific options during install (very important), then the hideous problems disappear. However, Cinnamon, Gnome 3, and Gnome Classic all appear the same afterwards (as in identical to each other), and neither seems to be what it was before (although it might be Gnome Classic--I'm not sure, since I didn't use it until afterwards). MATE seems to be working fine, though.

A tip on navigating windows before the issues have been fixed: If you maximize a window, the problems seem to disappear.

Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:41 pm

I'm seeing people reporting fglrx problems with Gnome 3 systems on a variety of forums (Here, Ubuntu forums, Debian forums, LQ etc). I don't know what the gnome team have done but they seem to have royally messed up propriety drivers (I'm seeing NV problems starting to crop up, too).

It's likely that the fglrx team wil fix whatever the gnome team broke, but it may take a revision or two. (possibly fglrx 12.02 or so). Until then, reverting to OS drivers may be the best option.

I'm glad I jumped ship from gnome before G3 hit the decks stumbling.
Kernel Linux Tex 4.8.13-1-ARCH (64 bit) xfce , burg
Arch
GTX680 4Gb
OSS4
AMD Phenom II X4 (965BE) @ 3.6 Ghz
8Gb RAM

lehjr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lehjr » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:38 pm

Roken wrote:I'm seeing people reporting fglrx problems with Gnome 3 systems on a variety of forums (Here, Ubuntu forums, Debian forums, LQ etc). I don't know what the gnome team have done but they seem to have royally messed up propriety drivers (I'm seeing NV problems starting to crop up, too). ....
After reading various comments from Gnome devs the answer is very simple. Like the FireFox devs, they're constantly too full of developer ego to ever have a taste of humble pie. When there's a problem, blame the person experiencing the issue, and when multiple users are experiencing the same issue, downplay its significance.

There are some comments that suggest that Gnome devs wanted to change the rules of the game by changing things under the hood and then expected the big GPU manufacturers to come to them rather than just trying to work together with them in the first place to make things work. On the other hand, there are comments (even in their own FAQ page) that suggest that Gnome devs intentionally sabotaged closed source driver compatibility in an effort to get get better 3D support through open drivers to the point that proprietary drivers would never be needed. But in both cases, the the end user experience was sacrificed to serve the vision of the devs. Normally I'd link to the sources of the comments, but I think we've all had enough of a frustrating experience with the end result already without becoming infuriated by the underlying attitude it resulted from.

PLAY3R
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PLAY3R » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:50 am

So, How does one fix this?

Thanks
Linux Mint 12 64Bit, Media PC.
4GB RAM
500GB Hard Drive x2 (RAID) and WD20EARS 1TB
ATI/AMD On-Board Video, 512MB RAM
Dual-Core CPU, AMD 60000+ x2 64Bit

Maxi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Maxi » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:02 am

I had this.
I installed last release of property driver (w/ ati radeon 5650) and everything went fine.
5 days after my pc wouldn't turn on.
Everyone at the forums blamed me for doing so.
Now I reinstalled mint and I have the tooltips letters on itallic... and some other stupid things too...
I wish I could solve this...

TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:09 pm

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”