ATI/AMD propritary FGLRX graphics driver.

Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
Maxi
Level 1
Level 1

Re: ATI/AMD propritary FGLRX graphics driver.

Post by Maxi » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:13 pm

On the source article of the post above:
"The following notebooks are not compatible with this release:

Any notebook launched after this driver release
Switchable Graphics enabled notebooks
Toshiba notebooks (please contact the notebook OEM for driver support for these notebooks)
Sony VAIO notebooks (please contact the notebook OEM for driver support for these notebooks)
Panasonic notebooks (please contact the notebook OEM for driver support for these notebooks)"

='(
Still good to hear =D

bog
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bog » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:08 pm

I think this thread is really saying something very important. I note it has been running for more than 4 months and user frustration has been left to grow without response from the Mint team or any developer teams. I guess that means they're stumped too, or they don't much care.

The bottom line is, we're all using free software. Its free because its not made for commercial purposes. If it had been made for commercial purposes then adequately broad customer trials would have been conducted before its introduction. Those trials would have had to come up all checks. More than that, if the software worked to customer satisfaction a year or so ago, it would not have been changed for software that doesn't work. In the commercial world the customer / user is king.

In the geek world there are no customers, just diehards, thrill seekers, guys without enough "other" in their lives. They tinker for the hell of tinkering. They change things for the sake of change. That's the same strategy that killed Detroit.

Is there any long term plan or vision for Linux today? Nope, I don't think so. Not any more. Linux isn't radical any more. A few years ago there seemed to be plenty of ambition to make the best OS for PCs known to man. But Mint (for example) reached its zenith around release 9, or maybe 10. Since then, new releases have given us new cosmetics but has there been any productivity advantage? I can't find it. I just noticed 10 seemed slower than 9. 11 didn't seem to work as well as 10. And 12? Well, so far its unuseable on my mainstream 12 month old Acer laptop.

Of course this is exactly what Microsoft has been telling the business world to expect. Their argument has never been that Linux is crap software. It's been that when the chips are down, who is going to carry the can? If you haven't paid to use it, who can you demand to fix it? After more than 4 months I've got to say Linux developers seem to have settled the point for them.

RichardX720
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RichardX720 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:02 pm

Good Day Everyone.. I installed Mint 12 today and it kept bugging me to activate my video driver so I did.. XFX 6xxx series and low and behold I ended here to find out what happened... I downloaded the driver from here: http://www.techlw.com/2012/04/install-a ... rs-on.html. Removed the old stuff, re0installed that downloaded driver and my desktop and fonts came back as normal however I can no longer select 1920x1080 resolution.. So now what?? :(

gorade
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gorade » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:39 am

Same with my Mint LMDE x64 Kernel 3.2.0.2 amdx64 with and AMD Radeon HD 6850.
Installing fglrx-driver leads to wreckage. I can't start even failsafe. Fortunately i had the kernel 2.6.39.2 left so I could get Linux running with 8 bit graphics and could use a backup to restore. Earlier the repository version didn't work but the non-free from the vendor so I tried AMD Catalyst™ 12.4 Proprietary Linux x86 . That wrecked the installation. It didn't work with the old kernel either. I couldn't reach the backup even with installation CD so I just had to reinstall Linux Mint LMDE from scratch. Now I don't dare to touch any fglrx and for now I find myself stuck with no 3D. (Yes, I have Win7 at dual boot. There is no problem with graphics, of course).
I think the problem is with the kernel, and I don't know how to solve such.

red110kev
Level 1
Level 1

Post by red110kev » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:20 am

Total noob here...

Has anyone tried this driver from AMD?
http://www.techlw.com/2012/04/install-a ... rs-on.html

Does it work?

Spent hours trying to install Ubuntu 11.10 and 12.04 but failed then discovered Linux Mint 12, installed it to replace Vista from the Live CD but got the same problem as with Ubuntu (no desktop display, just a bright grey screen). However, by random key hitting etc and installing updates I managed to get my AMD Radeon HD6670 card to display correctly and don't know how I managed it.
Was thinking of installing this driver to be sure but don't want to mess up my system again.

moonsoft
Level 1
Level 1

Post by moonsoft » Mon May 07, 2012 5:57 am

Hi,

I found a fix to several of these issues.
I am running a newer laptop with the AMD E2 Vision CPU/GPU
The install CD for Mint12 wanted to load the failed Radeon driver, and thus the desktop would crash. The problem is actually two-fold
  • The radeon driver does not handle this CPU/GPU hardware, and simply has trouble addressing it.
  • When trying to disable the radeon driver using a radeon.modeset=0 the system appears to ignore this, and load it anyway.
  • Some laptops/desktops have a bios that is by default Windows based, and you can't change it.
I attempted several fixes using different strings in my GRUB boot loader as indicated by several forums
"ie: nomodeset or even radeon.modeset=0 or even xforcevga"

There were a few problems with this, as even though you disable this you can clearly see that the system enables it anyway by reviewing DMESG.
This was the only boot string that worked for me (keeping in mind my BIOS was only made for a windows based OS, so had to change it using acpi_osi=)
here is what my bootstring looks like after editing grub at prompt before running install...
splash quiet xforcevesa acpi_osi="Linux" -- vt.handoff=7

This allowed me to complete install in graphic mode

You can actually omit the part after the --
If you force the VESA driver you can at least get the system to load the desktop for install, or you can install in text mode. After I got the system to boot I went ahead and edited the grub conf by doing the following;

Code: Select all

# vi /etc/default/grub

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash xforcevesa acpi_osi="Linux""
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
After modifying that file I saved it and the ran the following;

# update-grub 
Now you will at least have a system that can boot to dekstop, and then you can run a apt-get upgrade.
Once you do this and then install the Proprietary Driver thats found by running the Additional drivers feature in your control center. Do not use the

After loading that driver you may have to modify your xorg.conf

which is simple and here is my version (I omitted the entire file just input the part that matters), no bells or whistles just works....

Section "Module"
        Load    "glx"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
        Driver          "fglrx"
Aaron M

--Always geeking, never sleeping......
"The university of Google, no fees, no certificates, just pure knowledge as much as you can handle, unless you choose not to read ;("
Professional services

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”