Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
gfahey
Level 1
Level 1

ATI driver installed but........

Post by gfahey » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:44 pm

First, Mint is great. I mean, Linux is Linux and there are a more than a few good distros out there but, I like Bea a lot thus far. Great job.

For whatever reason, I had Edgy installed and after a power surge resulting from the power being turned on without my being home, Edgy would not boot again. Error 18 messages even after trying to install it again. I tried installing Bea and it took like a charm. I installed the ATI driver for my AIW 9600 and bumped the res up to 1600x1200. Everything looks great and of course, I have tweaked the overall look to the nth degree (I'm sure you know what I'm talkin' about).

But....when my kids try and play Planet Penguin Racer (a fav of theirs) it absoultely crawls to a snail's pace. With Edgy it ran fine at 1280x1024. No hiccups, great FPS (although I don't have the figures). Now when I lower the screen res with Bea to 1280x1024 it still doesn't improve any. The driver is installed just like Edgy and things otherwise are great but, the kids get to play no games due to the lousy performance. It acts like 10 year old computer!

I don't have Beryl installed. I only have 512 memory and with Edgy, Beryl just didn't work with my setup so, I know better.

Any thoughts on why this is doing this? Help? Suggestions?

TIA

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:27 pm

Can you check if 3d acceleration is on ?

Code: Select all

glxinfo | grep direct
--> Should say "Direct Rendering: Yes".

Clem

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”