Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
catilley1092
Level 1
Level 1

Re: To Any One Who is Having ATI issue Here is Some Help

Post by catilley1092 »

tbruff13 wrote:gorellana09 can you please be more specific with the issues you are having. I will not be able to submit bugs until monday, but I would like to have information about your issue. To people posting in this thread I just realized that ATI requires and email that they can reach you at. I will be maintaining a separate email for the bug reports I submit. tbruff13@mail.com, but if you would like me to submit a bug report under your email I will need you to PM me an email I can use.

YOU WILL NOT RECIEVE ANY EMAILS FROM ME

You will only recieve emails from AMD. Your email is safe I wlll only use it to submit a bug report. If you feel uncomfortable giving an email don't worry your bug report will still be submitted under mine. Can anyone who is using Ubuntu tell me if they have had any problems at all.

To Roken I tried install flgrx from the repos it did not work. If you are talking about the drivers in the Additional drivers section. If not I am not sure what you mean. I have been able to discern from the posts on this forum that the driver issue might be a problem with Gnome 3 I will be submitting a bug report to them as well to see what response i recieve

To 714snoopy I have posted a gnome 3 bug report for you I will submit a Linux Mint bug as here is the gnome 3 bug report https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=665512
I can tell you for a fact that Ubuntu 11.10 x64 is running fine for me, while I've had to rollback Mint to version 11. All appeared to be fine, until I installed those suggested hardware drivers. The issue is with both the 32 & 64 bit versions (I prefer 64 bit, being that I have 64 bit hardware) Another thing, where my home folder is, it (Mint 12) no longer shows my name on it. It just says "home". Don't know if that's a problem, or the way that Mint 12 is designed.

So, what would happen if I reinstalled Mint 12 & not install the drivers? Usually, any OS needs some drivers to correctly function, if they're in the install disk, will someone please post back & let me know? I've been a Mint user since Gloria, this has never been a issue at all. In fact, up until version 12, I've not had any negative issues with Linux Mint. That's why even after 3 years of using Mint, my post counts are low. Most of what few issues I did have, I read through the Mint forum or Googled the issue, the answer fell into my hands. Even how to run the terminal to address a particular issue, the answer is usually there, down to what to enter.

I don't really care to be running a OS behind, and although Ubuntu works fine, I don't like the left side of my screen loaded with icons. Reminds me of Windows, all of those icons. What I really want is to be an up to date Mint user.

EDIT: If it makes any difference, my graphics are AMD Radeon 3200 HD.

Cat
Proud Linux Mint user since 2009
gorellana09
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gorellana09 »

@catilley1092, I have the same card as you, Mint 12 with Catalyst 12.1 is working fine now.
catilley1092
Level 1
Level 1

Post by catilley1092 »

gorellana09 wrote:@catilley1092, I have the same card as you, Mint 12 with Catalyst 12.1 is working fine now.
Thanks for responding, gorellana09. What I'll do is try it out on a spare HDD. Last night, I rolled back to Mint 11 32 bit, have it all setup & everything is running well. It's a lot of work setting up a OS to suit my needs, I'll keep that as is. On a spare HDD, I can play with it a little more at my pace, until it's right.

I learned from a thread created by another member that I don't need the latest release to have the best one. That the one behind has the bugs worked out, and if there are any, there's plenty of answers on whatever issue arises. Security isn't an issue, because supported versions of Mint are still updated & patched, when needed, not just on the 2nd Tuesday of the month.

I actually prefer LTS releases over the 6 month ones, they've always worked well for me. It's just that right now, 9 is a bit far behind for me. I skipped 10 completely due to this reason (there was no reason for me to update at that time), went to 11RC with no problems at all. It's still a fantastic OS to run.

Cat
Proud Linux Mint user since 2009
-Ender
Level 1
Level 1

Post by -Ender »

@Lumikki: The screenshot tool now appears to be working. There seems to be a minor glitch in it that causes Cinnamon to be slightly offset, but other than that it appears to be functioning properly now.
bvan58
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bvan58 »

From what I understand, there's a conflict between some of the older ATI graphics drivers (including the version that comes with Mint 12) and the new Gnome 3 GUI. Manually upgrading to the latest ATI 12.1 drivers via the terminal command line seems to solve the problem, at least for me. However, because the problem involves Gnome 3, Mint 12 users actually have another option: if you enabled the login option during the install, you can click on the gear symbol that appears on the login screen and select the MATE, which is based on Gnome 2. I'm using this setup now on my Acer Aspire with an ATI Radeon HD3200 chipset, so far without problems. Still, it does seem puzzling that Mint 12 would ship with an unstable/incompatible version of flgrx!
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Got 12.1 working on my laptop with an e-350 and Mint 12.

Anyone try this on the Llano APUs?
neo1691
Level 1
Level 1

Post by neo1691 »

Even i am having a bad time with the display drivers. I installed the latest drivers from AMD and used the automated installation (Xorg) and rebooted. I have got back the screen but my system is now more laggy then ever!!

Hope i am able to get a lag fix linux to work!!
chazdg24
Level 3
Level 3

Post by chazdg24 »

This is what I do (did) and it works every time:

sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx*

sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-radeon

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-ati

sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-core

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Restart your Computer

cd ~/; mkdir catalyst12.2; cd catalyst12.2/

wget -O amd-driver-installer-12-2-x86.x86_64.run http://goo.gl/zewU2

chmod +x amd-driver-installer-12-2-x86.x86_64.run

sh ./amd-driver-installer-12-2-x86.x86_64.run

sudo aticonfig --initial -f

reboot
gadgetmang
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gadgetmang »

chazdg24 wrote:This is what I do (did) and it works every time:

sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx*

sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-radeon

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-ati

sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-core

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Restart your Computer

cd ~/; mkdir catalyst12.2; cd catalyst12.2/

wget -O amd-driver-installer-12-2-x86.x86_64.run http://goo.gl/zewU2

chmod +x amd-driver-installer-12-2-x86.x86_64.run

sh ./amd-driver-installer-12-2-x86.x86_64.run

reboot

Thank you this worked :) :)
antikythera

Post by antikythera »

On a fresh install of Mint 12 without applying the hardware drivers offered by Mint. I followed these steps after downloading Catalyst 12.4 from the AMD site:

Code: Select all

chmod +x amd-driver-installer-12-4-x86.x86_64.run

sh ./amd-driver-installer-12-4-x86.x86_64.run

reboot
The driver installed fine and there are no artefacts or lag problems any more on my ASUS F3Sr notebook with an ATI Radeon Mobility HD 2400 GPU. So thanks chazdg24 for the bit of your simple instructions I followed ;)
gotjazz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gotjazz »

Isn't anyone watching hd video in here? I agree that the desktop is usable with current drivers, but if you are using the same computer for multimedia stuff you can forget all current gnome3 based desktops with ati cards....

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
fig_wright
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fig_wright »

I have 12.4 catalyst drivers installed and am not having any noticeable desktop problems, however I still have the "broken print screen" problem, as described here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/874093

Did everyone else get this fixed when they updated drivers? Or were they so happy about fixed graphics they just didnt care about print screen?
octoberasian
Level 1
Level 1

Post by octoberasian »

Ok, first off, I have Linux Mint 12 installed on my work laptop and netbook. They installed without a hitch, runs perfectly fine. Now, I decided to dual boot Linux and Windows 7 on my desktop. This is mostly so I can remove file folders that Windows says it doesn't exist but is still there and for video transcoding and encoding.

My issue is with the AMD Catalyst driver installation. I've followed the instructions on the Ubuntu website and the Linux Mint forums. And, if you just point me to the same two places-- Ubuntu's website and the posted thread on the Mint forums, I'll get the same issue regardless. And, that's regardless if I follow instructions on the Forums or that sticky, the issues are still the same.

With that in mind, anyone have any experience SUCCESSFULLY installing the drivers for a Radeon HD 6950 in Linux?

There are about three places I went to:
- Ubuntu Documentation
- Linux Mint Forums
- A blog I found through Google

All said similar instructions with variations in each. The problem is this:
  • If I follow Ubuntu's documentation, the various windows get corrupted. Think back to when NES 8-bit games looked like when the system had issues accessing/loading data from the cartridge-- the screen gets blocky and corrupted. Then, you'd have to blow into the cartridge thinking it'd fix it. That's what happens if I follow that.

If I follow the instructions on Linux Mint Forums, the taskbar literally disappears. I have no access to other programs. All I see is the desktop and the computer icon.

If I follow the instructions from the blog, I get a mixture of both issues from the Ubuntu Documentation and the Linux MInt instructions.
And, all three will randomly exhibit a solid yellow screen and often times not shut down properly.
(Note: I've tested Fedora and the drivers will not install properly, and will tell me there are missing packages even if they are already installed. And, the Catalyst Control Center tells me I have no permission to change settings so no settings get saved if I change anything. I eventually ditched that OS. Linux Mint was the one distro got me the farthest.)

Anyone have any ideas or have had successfully gotten Linux to run fine with Catalyst drivers?

I've had zero issues installing an Nvidia card for a friend's Linux computer than this-- no screen corruption, no yellow screen, and no missing taskbar. (He uses Ubuntu and WINE since he prefers that OS over Windows.)

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”